Coopers Community

Refractometer- yay or nay

PaddyBrew2

So I’m about to put my order through to Kegland. I’m treating myself to the following 

Robobrew 3.1

matching jacket

hop spider

steel mash paddle

20 litre hop cube

Refractometers are $26. My LHBS sells them for $40

Do you guys use one to measure pre and post boil or are they just a fancy extra and your hydrometer is just as useful ?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

So I’m about to put my order through to Kegland. I’m treating myself to the following 

Robobrew 3.1

matching jacket

hop spider

steel mash paddle

20 litre hop cube

Refractometers are $26. My LHBS sells them for $40

Do you guys use one to measure pre and post boil or are they just a fancy extra and your hydrometer is just as useful ?

I don’t have one but I want one. I have survived so far without it just cooling a sample down and thenusing my hydrometer has been accurate for my numbers so far. But I guess 26 bucks is pretty good for the convenience of not having to stuff around cooling wort etc compared to 40bucks also.

• Like 1

It's up to you really. I don't use one. I usually just stick the pre boil sample in the brew fridge and take the reading just as the boil starts. Then tip the sample back in minus the crap that settles at the bottom. Post boil I fill a Pyrex jug with the dregs after cubing and let that sit for a few hours to settle, then I can pour clear wort into another smaller sample tube to test. 

That's worked well for me so I've felt no need for a refractometer.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why a homebrewer would really need or want one other than perhaps they don't like wasting a few hundred mils of beer by drawing off the occasional sample?  They have the inconvenience in that they can't readily be used to measure intermediate SG's, and FG can only be determined after performing an adjustment calculation.  In contrast a hydrometer gives you an immediate, and accurate enough SG reading throughout the fermentation.    

I agree. On brew days I probably waste 50mL or less. The wort used in the post boil reading would only be tipped anyway so it doesn't count. 

The fermentation readings take 300mL across all three and half the time I don't even take a second FG reading because it's obvious from the first one that it's finished. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why a homebrewer would really need or want one other than perhaps they don't like wasting a few hundred mils of beer by drawing off the occasional sample?  They have the inconvenience in that they can't readily be used to measure intermediate SG's, and FG can only be determined after performing an adjustment calculation.  In contrast a hydrometer gives you an immediate, and accurate enough SG reading throughout the fermentation.    

Yeah but they use them on You Tube all the time and it would make you look even more scientific in front of your non-home brewing friends and I haven’t even got to the lab coat yet🤣 

• Haha 5

57 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What makes you think a hydrometer isn't scientific? That's practically the main use they have 😂

I like using them during and after fermentation because it gives you a chance to smell and taste the beer. Can't do much with a little drop. 

Sciency.png

• Haha 2

I've toyed with the idea of one.  Toys are fun!

From what I have read, it is particularly useful for those with 3V systems that do a sparge and may want to sparge until their runnings hit a specific gravity.  Instant read out from a refractometer.

Like Kelsey, I take two samples atm.  One as I bring it to boil for a mash efficiency reading.  And one before I transfer to the cube for the brewhouse efficiency and OG reading.  It takes barely any time to cool the sample in the fridge/freezer/sat in a bowl of water

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What makes you think a hydrometer isn't scientific? That's practically the main use they have 😂

I like using them during and after fermentation because it gives you a chance to smell and taste the beer. Can't do much with a little drop. 

What’s scientific about the inane inability to stand upright in liquid , clinging onto the sides of the glass like some drunk 17 year old at a disco. 

Hydrometer users be like :

Give it a good degas there mate!

make sure you spin it mate. There could be a bubble underneath!

did you move it up and down fast to let the bubbles out. Don’t want a false reading!

mate all that effort was worth it, how good did that sugary unfermented wort taste!

Refractometer users be like 

Sweet I hit my target and looked cool as fck doing so !

• Haha 1

I'm more interesting in making beer than measuring it, but if you're into that sort of thing then go for it.

6 hours ago, Hairy said:

$26 - just get one and play with it.

It doesn't vibrate Hairy.

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

I know you're exaggerating there but it probably takes about half an hour for the pre boil sample to cool in the fridge. However, I'm using a 250mL sample tube. I take the sample right before I crank the urn up to bring it to boil, by the time it's boiling the sample is around 25-30 degrees, I take my reading and correct it for temp then tip the sample back into the boiling wort. Easy, and no time really wasted since I'm waiting for it to boil anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I know you're exaggerating there but it probably takes about half an hour for the pre boil sample to cool in the fridge. However, I'm using a 250mL sample tube. I take the sample right before I crank the urn up to bring it to boil, by the time it's boiling the sample is around 25-30 degrees, I take my reading and correct it for temp then tip the sample back into the boiling wort. Easy, and no time really wasted since I'm waiting for it to boil anyway. 

I do about the same with it in a coffee cup in the sink with ice bricks and water cool pretty quick and return it to the wort if I don’t accidentally drink it!

I didn’t say hydrometers aren’t scientific I said look more scientific with refractometer as well as hydrometer is what I meant👍

I use mine hotside every brewday. 

Same as any other measuring device it will need a multi point calibration. 

I've been called an " owner operator " a few times for my rigorous measurements but since my beers are bloody good and I seldom miss targets by more than +/- 0.002 I'll keep doing it. 

Instant readings of last runnings is very handy 

• Like 1