Coopers Community

Dry July

Beer Baron

It’s not really the place to discuss not drinking but what the hell. 

This year I am going to attempt ‘Dry July’ 

I am going to brew throughout July to fill my new kegs and eat reasonably healthy while doing a bit of exercise which will be mainly walking, HIIT skipping and sprints. I’m not getting any younger so it is time to drop a quick 5 kilos!! 

Hopefully I can keep motivated and give it a real crack!! 

Who is with me??😂

I could give up beer for a month but I'd probably replace it with Jack and Coke. 😂

Apparently I'm up for long service leave soon, I need to find out more information about it though. If it happens I'm planning to get out on the bike each day to try to drop a few kg, but it wouldn't be til August or September. 

• Like 1

I did Dry July last year and found it surprisingly easy. I thought I would struggle but I was fine.

The worst is actually the last couple of days because you know a beer is coming.

• Haha 1

done Feb fast and i did a "2 beer july" as it was a great mates 50th so had to have a couple of beers with him.

Both times ive lost 2-5kgs (i am 32, 75ishkg and 175cm) so not big by any means.

If you want to try drop a couple of kgs give it a crack.

Winter is probably the best time for beer drinkers, been cold its not as tempting to grab a beer to refresh with hahaha

• Like 1

Yeah I'm in. I had an uncle recently diagnosed with cancer so the cause resonates with me this time. I hate asking people for money though so might not do that part of it, just sponsor myself with a donation maybe. 

I'll keep brewing throughout the month though... a lager or 2. Man, my already very full beer cupboard is going to be bursting at the seams. Can't imagine if I was brewing 20+ litre batches! 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 2

I'm doing it also,

My wife is having surgery to remove a bowel tumor next week following her radiation & chemo course in April, thought it would be a good way to give a bit back, these charity's give you so much support, 1 in 3 people will have cancer & its surprising how much you have to rely on them vs whats available from the state - AKA pretty much nothing unless your already on benefits.

Will be off work looking after her & the kids so might be tough not having a beer once daddy day care is done each day 🤣

I also did it quite a few years ago, recall being disappointed that I didn't really feel any healthier after a few weeks off the juice!

Just in case anyone has a spare couple of dollars 😉

https://www.dryjuly.co.nz/users/mike-sargeant/donations/new

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I only have a maximum of 3 drinking days before I start dry July. 

I’ll have a weigh in on the 1st of July and take a gut measurement and get straight into it. 

I’m actually keen to do it this year and who knows.................I may even do that well that I’ll give up the beer permanently....................Yeah right ha ha ha ha ha ha ha😂

• Like 4

On 6/3/2019 at 10:45 PM, Beer Baron said:

It’s not really the place to discuss not drinking but what the hell. 

This year I am going to attempt ‘Dry July’ 

I am going to brew throughout July to fill my new kegs and eat reasonably healthy while doing a bit of exercise which will be mainly walking, HIIT skipping and sprints. I’m not getting any younger so it is time to drop a quick 5 kilos!! 

Hopefully I can keep motivated and give it a real crack!! 

Who is with me??😂

The reason I don't bother with it is the "why". IMHO there is a bureaucracy buried deep in this type of charity we are being asked to participate in that I personally don't like.

The money raised is to benefit cancer suffers in various capacities & on surface value that sounds wonderfully worthy. Unfortunately the money raised helps selective groups & NOT the majority that probably could do with the added help & attention.

https://www.dryjuly.com/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2019-06-26/dry-july-bws-alcohol-partnership-under-fire/11246258

My Grandfather worked his arse off his entire working life, served in WWII, earned every cent he ever made & died in a small insignificant retirement home that he was confined to after his bowel cancer reached levels he could no longer function normally with outside of that sort of environment & care. No slight on the home he was housed in, but he received very basic care & absolutely NOTHING from any charity organisation connected with cancer.

He died under the care of the war pension fund he earned, & what was left after his passing, cared for my grandmother before her passing a few years later. Sorry. 😭

The mere fact the "goody-two-shoes" brigade would call you heartless by not wanting to be involved in it tells you it is a bureaucracy.

If anything, I drink TO my grandfather & grandmother (not abstain) in this month of the year.

Don't be fooled on what it's all about & who it benefits.

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

47 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

The reason I don't bother with it is the "why". IMHO there is a bureaucracy buried deep in this type of charity we are being asked to participate in that I personally don't like.

The money raised is to benefit cancer suffers in various capacities & on surface value that sounds wonderfully worthy. Unfortunately the money raised helps selective groups & NOT the majority that probably could do with the added help & attention.

https://www.dryjuly.com/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2019-06-26/dry-july-bws-alcohol-partnership-under-fire/11246258

My Grandfather worked his arse off his entire working life, served in WWII, earned every cent he ever made & died in a small insignificant retirement home that he was confined to after his bowel cancer reached levels he could no longer function normally with outside of that sort of environment & care. No slight on the home he was housed in, but he received very basic care & absolutely NOTHING from any charity organisation connected with cancer.

He died under the care of the war pension fund he earned, & what was left after his passing, cared for my grandmother before her passing a few years later. Sorry. 😭

The mere fact the "goody-two-shoes" brigade would call you heartless by not wanting to be involved in it tells you it is a bureaucracy.

If anything, I drink TO my grandfather & grandmother (not abstain) in this month of the year.

Don't be fooled on what it's all about & who it benefits.

Lusty.

I am not drinking to help my health and wellbeing. I am not raising any money whatsoever

Sorry to hear about the treatment of your Grandfather, Lusty. 

I did Dry July last year and you can choose various charities/projects to fund; how much they actually receive I don’t know. I chose a local cancer centre that my mother was attending. She passed away a few weeks ago and I thought they did a good job considering the number of people suffering from cancer and the competition for funding.

I’ll join you in having a drink for those that are suffering, or have suffered, with cancer. I’ll make a donation too.

I should probably do Dry July to lose a few kgs but I enjoy a beer too much.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I chose a local cancer centre that my mother was attending. She passed away a few weeks ago and I thought they did a good job considering the number of people suffering from cancer and the competition for funding.

I'm sorry to hear of the recent passing of your mother. My condolences. 😢

As I mentioned in my earlier post, there was no slight on how my grandfather was cared for by the staff there given his condition. My main point was centred around these charities & what they proclaim they do that does not cover as broader spectrum as most might believe.

Lusty.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I am not drinking to help my health and wellbeing. I am not raising any money whatsoever

My health is an up & down thing anyway, & my mental wellbeing is much better after a couple of beers. 😉

Enjoy the mental torture for the next month.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

My health is an up & down thing anyway, & my mental wellbeing is much better after a couple of beers. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

I have to admit that giving up alcohol didn't really make me feel any different. Perhaps it is because I am a regular drinker but not a big drinker.

I find getting exercise helps me feel better physically and mentally.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Cheers,

Lusty.

I’m not a big drinker too. I never drink on a work day mainly because I get home just before the sunrise. I’m confident that I’ll make it through easy and use a few kilos on the way. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much half way through and I still haven’t had a beer. It has been quite easy but there have been a couple of times that I have really felt like having a beer.

Exercise and healthy eating are minimal but my awesome excuse is the kids are on school holidays. 

August is a really busy month. In the whole family we have 5 birthdays and my wedding anniversary so hopefully I don’t put on the weight that I have lost.

I haven’t jumped on the scales but I feel a bit lighter. 

• Like 4

On 7/14/2019 at 2:33 PM, Beer Baron said:

Pretty much half way through and I still haven’t had a beer. It has been quite easy but there have been a couple of times that I have really felt like having a beer.

Exercise and healthy eating are minimal but my awesome excuse is the kids are on school holidays. 

August is a really busy month. In the whole family we have 5 birthdays and my wedding anniversary so hopefully I don’t put on the weight that I have lost.

I haven’t jumped on the scales but I feel a bit lighter. 

Nice one. 

I've had a couple of my wife's alcohol-free beers when I felt like something refreshing in the Canberra winter. And a sip from a few hydrometer samples to make sure the beer is ok (bottling tonight). 

Don't bother with scales, it's just a number. If you feel good that's the important thing. I did jump on the scales the other day but it still had no battery, same as when I last tried to use it a couple of months ago lol. Haven't put any in so in a couple of months the same thing will probably happen. 

My wife's a dietitian so I have forced healthy eating lol. And I'm not going to stop cycling to work or playing bball any time soon since I enjoy them too much. I can already feel my clothes getting looser and my wife is looking at me worriedly and telling me I need to eat more, so that's good. At least the Japanese denim in my wardrobe is more comfortable!

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Approaching 3 weeks into Dry July & totally tired of Heineken zeros almost total lack of taste, even adding a slice of lime isn't enough any more,,,,

They say variety is the spice of life so thought I'd give this a bash,

67070097_10156165687820896_5925102548145

Its actually not bad, though it does taste pretty much like unfermented malt, ie VERY sweet.

The can appears to say (in German) that each can contains 150% of my RDI for Vitamin B12, 25% of my RDI of B6 & 133% of my RDI of folic acid so apart from the 5 tea spoons of sugar 😮 its pretty healthy then & possibly aimed at pregnant German lady's who need a pick me up,

Bitburger are definitely missing a great business opportunity here though, with all that Vit B12 & 6 add a sprinkle of Taurine & a shake of caffeine they could call it Bitburger FLY 0.0% an take on red bull 🚀🤣 🤣

Seriously though, Ive not dared have 2 cans in one night yet, talk about a vitamin B buzz!!

• Like 1