Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

1 hour ago, Hilltop hops said:

Treating myself this arvo with a few quality drops. Looking forward to the footy. Go the Cats. 20230805_143922.thumb.jpg.911020e2529ebbd31f05a7cd52ff3cce.jpg20230805_155047.thumb.jpg.a8f8f097a9560174e1c90a0d956cae22.jpg

I'd struggle to make it to half time if I was treating myself to those before the game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

To celebrate the Spanish girls win. It’s more of a Summer beer, but once in a while I enjoy it.

IMG_7304.jpeg

I don't mind that one every now and then. I stayed next door to a resort by that name once on Cabilao Island in the Philippines. It reminds me of hermit crabs and stunning coral reefs.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Got a carton delivered on Friday from Doctor Dans and had my first earlier on. Not bad but not what I would say is the best vintage I have tasted. Will put mine on the shelf and drink one every now and then. What's your thoughts?

It's the only Vintage I have tasted. I believe it's an IPA. It was good. I didn't think it was great. It could well improve with age but I'm not inclined to buy more to put them away to find out. 

• Like 1

Spent the afternoon and early evening at 8 Track Brewery in Ringwood yesterday.  What we had:

8TrackMenu.thumb.jpg.1b13ae18720e747be7f2e26687688bc1.jpg

The favourite was the Hazy IPA with the Saison a close second.  One of my mates had never had one and was pleasantly surprised by its flavour. 

Great beers.  Excellent friendly service.  Simple but tasty food.

The owner, Trent, gave us a tour of the brewery.  Quite interesting.  Similar to home brewing except on a 600 litre batch sized system.

Bought these as take-homes.

• Detonator IPA 7.1% ABV
  • Strong aromas of citrus and pineapple
  • Robust malty flavours plus similar fruity taste
  • Low bitterness for this style, but there is still a hoppy bite

IMG_3838.JPG.35e299d767f6375304881649ac75c949.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Spent the afternoon and early evening at 8 Track Brewery in Ringwood yesterday.  What we had:

8TrackMenu.thumb.jpg.1b13ae18720e747be7f2e26687688bc1.jpg

The favourite was the Hazy IPA with the Saison a close second.  One of my mates had never had one and was pleasantly surprised by its flavour. 

Great beers.  Excellent friendly service.  Simple but tasty food.

The owner, Trent, gave us a tour of the brewery.  Quite interesting.  Similar to home brewing except on a 600 litre batch sized system.

Bought these as take-homes.

• Detonator IPA 7.1% ABV
  • Strong aromas of citrus and pineapple
  • Robust malty flavours plus similar fruity taste
  • Low bitterness for this style, but there is still a hoppy bite

IMG_3838.JPG.35e299d767f6375304881649ac75c949.JPG

Wow Shamus,  sounds great, good day out. 🍻

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beach_life said:

I believe it's more in the order of this https://www.bjcp.org/style/2021/17/17B/old-ale/

You could be right. I've never had an old ale, unless that was one.  According to the recipe section the last few vintages were all IPAs, and the colour looks very similar to the pictures of the '18, '19, and '20 vintages (which is pretty much the same as the description of the old ale appearance). And the other aspects would fit into the old ale category, too.

Somebody predicted that this years vintage will be this month's ROTM. If so, we won't have to wait long to find out.

Edit: I finished reading the link and it said Old Peculiar is an example of an old ale. I've had that a few times but to me the vintage '23 smelled and tasted much more like an IPA than Old Peculiar.

Edited by Kegory
added stuff

8 minutes ago, Kegory said:

According to the recipe section the last few vintages were all IPAs

Sure > but my thinking is that is so people have some idea of the style, it's certainly not a US IPA.

9 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I've had that a few times but to me the vintage '23 smelled and tasted much more like an IPA

Fair call, but the Vintage is supposed to be aged.

I brewed a ESVA all grain several years ago and used that category for the style guide as it felt more appropriate than even an English IPA

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Sure > but my thinking is that is so people have some idea of the style, it's certainly not a US IPA.

Fair call, but the Vintage is supposed to be aged.

I brewed a ESVA all grain several years ago and used that category for the style guide as it felt more appropriate than even an English IPA

Sure. It reminds me a little of the Sheperd Neame IPA, but I haven't had that in a while. It's definitely not what I think of when I think of a WCIPA.

I've tasted many beers but I've only been tasting beers for maybe six months after I realised I had minimal tasting skills or vocabulary and figured I'd better start developing them if I'm going to brew my own. That's why I said I think it's an IPA. It's very interesting (to me) to find out what other people think.

1 minute ago, Kegory said:

That's why I said I think it's an IPA. It's very interesting (to me) to find out what other people think.

Store some and taste it in 6 months then a year. The hops should mellow heaps

• Like 1

And now time for something different'

Matilda Bay AUSSIE WHEAT ALE 4.5%

This is really nice, fresh & full of flavour, I would buy this again, I reckon it would be better out of the tap.

20230807_144120.thumb.jpg.2cf813c21e81799e958fd1daf7d5452f.jpg

This is a wheat beer but not like you remember. Championing all Australian wheat and Australian Eclipse hops, this bright and fresh brew is equal parts hazy and lively. Tangerine flesh, Seville orange, and silky full wheat, with subtle bitterness and a crisp tight finish. No need for a slice of citrus with this one.

Malt

Australian rolled wheat, Australian wheat malt and Australian barley malt

Hops

Huell Melon, Hersbrucker and Australian Eclipse.

Aroma

Mojito lime, ripe tangerine and fresh cut grass

ABV

4.5%

IBU

Color

8 EBC

• Like 3