Coopers Community

To Keg Or Not To Keg - that is the question

Worthog

11 hours ago, Cerveja said:

I am also a fan of Gummy and second hand purchases in general. BUT, as much as I don't want to promote them as I've had some issues with them, you cannot beat buying from Kegland new. Last time I looked kegs and  full 6kg gas bottles were less than a hundgy each. Why buy an unknown, second or third or fourth hand keg for 60 or 70 bucks when you can get new for about 90? And good luck with disposing of the bottles. I couldn't give mine away.

I will have no problem selling the bottles.... I sell bottles off often and never have an issue ... so far this year I have sold over 200 PET bottles ... I ask $5 a case of 15 and they sell usually within hours usually in groups of 5  ... I usually bundle them with something i don't need like an old FV I have acquired for nothing.   My stubbies are all in wooden crates of 24 I have made for them and I know I will have no problem if i sell them for $40 or less for 5 crates.  That are all crown seals rather than twist tops they are also either green for Lager and Brown for ales ...  I also have a 100 odd Coopers and XXXX tallies which will go easy as well ...

As far a second hand, I usually buy bundles of stuff for 1 item that I actually want in it then sell the items off individually and get my money back... I have been doing it for years ... the most success I have had was with gym equipment actually made a bit of pocket money out of that ...  trick is be patient stuff at the right price will come along .. 

With kegging stuff I know to steer clear of the all aluminum Chinese Corny knock offs ... true cornys have rubberised top and bottom and they are the ones to get . they have little issue with the integrity of the keg ... sure the valves, stems and rubbers need to be replaced but the keg itself has very little issues as they are a far superior product ...  I have actually seen the Chinese knock offs in very poor condition with dents and bent handles and the like being offered for sale for ridiculous prices. 

However, I do understand where you are coming from and if i decide to change my plans and go for a smaller set up ,which is possible, I may just go new. 

Quick question for those who are reading: if you bulk prime a keg do you need CO2 as pressure to pull a beer or will the pressure formed during secondary fermentation be sufficient.  I think CO2 or beer gas is needed but someone told me it is not  but I think I am right ....  

Having had the kegerator and going back to bottling, I am definitely gonna say kegging is way way better.

Better, cleaner  tasting beer.

Ready to consume quicker. 

Easier and quicker to clean.

Can easily fill PET bottles for BBQs etc and then don’t have to worry about keeping them dead straight for fear of disturbing the trub etc.

Soon as I can afford it I will be getting a keg set up again.

Cheers

James

Affordability, and also available space is probably the main reason I and I guess many haven't taken the leap into kegging.   CO2 Gas bottle, regulator, kegerator, the kegs themselves and assorted fittings etc all adds up to a decent chunk of money that's a little hard to justify, particularly when my main rationale and justification for getting into brewing again in the first place was to save money!     

I guess its where your priorities are then. Mine was to produce the best beer possible, myself. 

Thats why I invested in the keg set up. I would recommend kegs to anybody who wants the best beers possible regardless of price.

To add, im not knocking anybody who stays with bottling. Each to their own.

Edited by The Captain!!
  • Like 1

I keg most of my beers but still bottle some batches. Saisons, Belgians and stouts i predominantly bottle. Bottling does have its advantages especially in serving temperature. Belgians and stouts are better a little warmer than the normal 3 or 4 degree lagers. I love my kegging system. It does save a massive amount of time. But bottling still has its place in my brewery and always will.

2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Mine was to produce the best beer possible, myself...  Thats why I invested in the keg set up.

A hotly debated topic it would seem:  kegs vs bottles in terms of beer taste and aroma.   Interweb opinion seems to be equally divided. 

Maybe somebody should do an exbeeriment!  🤓

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

A hotly debated topic it would seem:  kegs vs bottles in terms of beer taste and aroma.   Interweb opinion seems to be equally divided. 

Very hotly debated I agree. I have force carbed a Saison and while it wasn't bad it wasn't as good as a bottled or naturally carbed keg version IMO. And I would never force carb another one again. Horses for courses!!!

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

To my tastes and recipes, yes, kegging is better for me. Like I’ve said, I still bottle Saison as I believe it’s better for the beer. All my pale ales and IPAs on the other hand are better from the keg.

• Like 2

The styles I drink are all better from kegs for my tastes as well, even stouts and such. Those kinds of beers I tend to sit on for a while, like it might take me the length of a movie to drink one glass, so they warm up in the glass anyway. 

The pale ales and lagers and whatever taste cleaner to me for not having gone through a secondary fermentation. I prefer it. 

I'd imagine there are styles that are better bottled as has been mentioned, but I generally don't drink them so I haven't really any need for bottling other than maybe surplus. 

With that in mind, you probably can't definitively say that one is always better than the other. It just depends on tastes, styles etc.

• Like 1

Well guess what was hidden way in the garage of the good old father in-law's ... two kegs ...  only thing they are not cornys ... they are old post mix kegs with the Mytton Rod Kegs the  Race Track tops as they call them ...  the kegs are sturdy as ... but one for the tops needs to be either have the support for the lock cam spot welded back on or a new one purchased ... also came with a pluto gun ... quick question anyone know if the ball lock post are the same size as the ones on the Cornelius kegs if not are they inter-changeable ? 

20190616_184237.jpg

20190616_185304.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

@ 30:55   https://youtu.be/UJDtMZxQmpA  "this one [keg] is nicer"  - (bottle was oxidised)

@ 5:00     https://youtu.be/TjFyV7WtITI   "I like the bottle, I always like the bottle better"

@ 10:55 https://youtu.be/AqDmtBZaixk  "[keg] is the superior one"

@2:06  https://youtu.be/8Mh2wOLwLnc  "I'm kinda leaning toward bottle conditioned..."  

😕

46 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I would love to get a keg system.  However there are three things that get in the way of that:

1. Cost
  2. Space
  3. I cannot find one that fits in with the wife's French provincial furniture.

Get a new wife ha ha ha

• Haha 2