Coopers Community

Take THAT, BJCP style guidelines

King Ruddager

38 minutes ago, joolbag said:

hairy I am also in the inner west brewers FB group and I think a lot of those members are also ISB. So your dream of a turf war may not eventuate. I’ll be at the Hop & Grain on Fri 17th and bringing some of my beer to share for feedback. Either of u able to make it?

I was tempted to get along to a few ISB meetings when it first started as I was working in the city then.

But one club is enough for me at the moment. Western Sydney Brewers is like ISB but with footy shorts, thongs and flannies. I am also unable to grow a man bun.

But (being serious) I may get there some day. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some maybe commercial, some homebrewed, one or two commercial or homebrewed examples may be spiked with DMS, Diacetyl, acetaldehyde, geraniol or one of several other off flavours just above human perception level etc. 

Thanks for the well wishes Hairy, I might need them! If I don't make it this time I can always have another shot next year 

33 minutes ago, Hairy said:

...I am also unable to grow a man bun.

Hairy, I'm sure Advanced Hair Studio could transplant hair from some of the more densely populated areas of your body to help you make that man bun. It may even work as a double whammy making those hot summer train trips to & from work each day a bit more comfortable. ?

Yeah yeah! ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Back on to the topic of BJCP style guidelines, the organisation does have in train 4 new styles to be added to the next release, detailed here: http://dev.bjcp.org/provisional-styles/

These are: 

X5. New Zealand Pilsner

If you wanted to submit one of the first two of these now, they should go in under those codes, 17A and 21B with a specific explanation about what it is. 

There is also the experimental category where if listed on the comp schedule, you can submit pretty much anything that resembles beer that does not fit in any category. 

I must read about the Catharina Sour, have never heard of it or where it hails from. 

Great to see they are going to include the NZ Pils, I have made a few of these with Motueka and is a great variation to the original Saaz based Czech classic. 

I think it's good that those newer styles are being included. 

What I think is lame is removing pilsner from the name of the original and calling it a pale lager. The one that all others are based on and they don't even bother calling it what it truly is, but instead give the name to a style that has little in common with it. I'm not knocking NZ pils as a style but it's arse about face really. Obviously the original Czech one is a pale lager but so are a lot of other lagers that have retained their specific style names.

For the 2015 BJCP Guidelines update (from 2008 prior one) they shifted stuff around and dropped 'Pils' The original is still there, the Czech Premium Pale Lager,  with Czech beers having their own style category, number 3. 

So the 2008 made a category out of Pilsners:

Cat 2. Pilsner
A. 5D. German Pils
B. 3B. Czech Premium Pale Lager
C. 27. Historical Beer (Pre-Prohibition
Lager)

2015 modified to group by the country of origin in the case of Czech: 

Cat 3. CZECH LAGER
3A. Czech Pale Lager
3B. Czech Premium Pale Lager
3C. Czech Amber Lager
3D. Czech Dark Lager

I suppose Czech Premium Pale Pilsner Lager was just too much of a mouthful. 

I still think that Urquell is probably one of the best beers you can buy in the $50-$60 range (sometimes in the 40's on special) and is not brewed under licence locally using nothing like original ingredients like a lot of other supposedly 'Euro' lagers. It's actually from the Urquell brewery in Plzen. 

I get the idea behind grouping them by region, but they could easily have retained the proper style names as well, like they have with pretty well all the  others. Czech Pilsner would be just as good as premium pale lager if they wanted to drop the Bohemian from it, at least it would still be called what it really is.

I just find it ridiculous that the style that gave birth to the pilsner name as the original pilsner style has had its name removed for some generic term like that. 

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I just find it ridiculous that the style that gave birth to the pilsner name as the original pilsner style has had its name removed for some generic term like that. 

I agree, this beer changed the course of beer history so it's pretty significant stuff. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got my results; 33.5 for Sauvignon Blager, 33.63 for Hoptoberfest and 34.63 for my pale. That puts them all in the "very good" range (just) which means "generally within style, but needs a little attention".

I wasn't really expecting much from the lagers but I'd hoped the pale would have done better, although with that the main comment was about lack of hop character and, since it was bottled in march, that makes sense really.

I'd say the end result is a good amount of room for improvement, especially in keeping to style. Next year I'll be more prepared and brew specifically for the occasion. Let's see what they think when I hit them with GALACTIPA!!!

1 hour ago, Mark D Pirate said:

Judges are human,  I spent weekend judging at SABSOSA  .

Hah, if you saw some bearded weirdo sneak in and stand around for about 15 minutes then that was me

I was wearing the same jumper I've got on in my profile pic there too

[edit] Just checked my judging sheets - don't see any judge with the first name "Mark" or last name "Pirate" - that's a shame 

Good work Kind Rudd. Sounds like the feedback was useful and worthwhile if you are thinking of entering again next year! It’s a little bit addictive (and humbling).

i entered 1 beer in the NSW state homebrewing comp last year, an American Pale Ale.

this year: 7! All labelled, packaged up and ready to drop off.

48EDD029-404D-4FDE-A600-AB9EEFCA09AF.jpeg

5 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Got my results; 33.5 for Sauvignon Blager, 33.63 for Hoptoberfest and 34.63 for my pale. That puts them all in the "very good" range (just) which means "generally within style, but needs a little attention".

Great results KR! These should have been well above average in the comp I'd say. Nicely done. So the 'Blager' went into that specialty category?  

Congrats on the results of the beers you entered Ruddy! Well done! ?

I entered one myself, an amber ale. I scored an average of 33.33 on it that I was happy with.

I got some good feedback from the judges that was also very helpful.

Next year I think I'm gonna have a crack at a Pale Ale & maybe an IPA.

Good stuff!

Cheers,

Lusty.

Nice going on the Amber Lusty. As you probably well know, timing is of the utmost when planning on entering the IPA's and Pales, to ensure there is still enough hop aromas showing. My last IPA that I entered was three months old, room temp storage and had very little aroma, but I entered it anyway.. 

I have an American pale going into the state comp which definitely has good levels of hop aroma having been dry hopped with a decent amount of cascade, centennial and Nelson, feeling better about that entry for that reason.  Based on the old classic Jamil recipe but with the added dry hops. 

43 minutes ago, headmaster said:

Nice going on the Amber Lusty. As you probably well know, timing is of the utmost when planning on entering the IPA's and Pales, to ensure there is still enough hop aromas showing. My last IPA that I entered was three months old, room temp storage and had very little aroma, but I entered it anyway.. 

Thanks mate. Oddly enough hop aroma was one of the things my amber ale was marked down on a little with a couple of the judges (36-33-31). A supposedly malt driven style but hey, go figure. ? Mine had been in the bottle approx. 6½ weeks by the time it was judged. You're right about the hop aromas & flavours. For a Pale I'd probably be looking for 4-5 weeks tops. With an IPA my ageing time-frames might differ depending on how much malt is in the brew, plus how much hops are in the boil & dry hopped.

Best of luck with your competition entry(s) this year!

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived