Coopers Community

New Recipe Section

Ryano2

Some big changes happening around here!

But I just wanted to raise something. The recipe section......

What is going on. There are no sections anymore, it just lists EVERY recipe. Surely this can be changed? When I'm looking for an Ale recipe I don't want to click through 20 pages of recipes?

The old layout was WAY WAY more practical.

if i have one critique of the new recipe section ,it looks like it was designed with 80 year old brewers with glaucoma in mind. i have to stand about ten feet from the screen when reading as the words and pics are just massive. the old section was fantastic.  my 65 year old mom recently got an iphone and first thing i had to do was tinker with the settings and increase the font size. bless her. she'd love the new recipe section (if she drank)

i will add i love the extras that you have added,, the sliders, the taste profiles etc. great job but can you tone down the resolution if possible ?

Good idea.

Although you know you can change it on your browser. If you're using Chome, there is a little magnifying glass on the top right of the browser.

If you're using a mouse press control key and scroll the mouse wheel.

• 2 months later...

I really wish in the Recipe section you could sort recipes by what Coopers can you are using. For example I have a Canadian Blonde can at home and am trying to track down recipes that use it. And its such an ordeal have to click on recipes just to see if they use the Canadian Blonde Can.

Any way to implement a change where in the filter you can simply select the Coopers can you want recipes for?

Our "website wishlist" included something like what you describe, Fergy.
Time and Money was against us - the geeks know about it and we are hoping it will be included in the next site update.

• 3 months later...
On 7/20/2018 at 9:57 AM, Fergy1987 said:

I really wish in the Recipe section you could sort recipes by what Coopers can you are using. For example I have a Canadian Blonde can at home and am trying to track down recipes that use it. And its such an ordeal have to click on recipes just to see if they use the Canadian Blonde Can.

Any way to implement a change where in the filter you can simply select the Coopers can you want recipes for?

On 7/20/2018 at 10:25 AM, PB2 said:

Our "website wishlist" included something like what you describe, Fergy.
Time and Money was against us - the geeks know about it and we are hoping it will be included in the next site update.

I'm glad I read this first, was just about to post up a new thread about this. Can't wait for the update ?

• 2 weeks later...

Attached is a searchable XL spreadsheet for every recipe in the Cooper's database organized by style, alc/vol, colour, bitterness, volume, difficulty and ingredients.

Each of the recipe names is hyperlinked to the recipe page on this site.  Click on a recipe name and it will open a new browser window to the recipe page. 

By using the simple filters you can, for instance, filter out all the 'Easy' recipes (a bonus for new brewers) or all those recipes using the Real Ale extract kit, or all recipes under 4.0% alcohol/volume, or only those recipes for the craft fermenter (by filtering those recipes for 10 liter volumes or less).

You will get most benefit from the spreadsheet if you know how to use the SORT and AUTO FILTER functions.

This is a brief explanation of how to use the Auto Filters :

If you click on Row 2 on the left hand index (the Header row), then chose the Data menu from the top ribbon and select Filter, arrows will appear on each column header.  
If you click on the arrow on the Difficulty column a drop box will show you the list of variables to display. 
Either uncheck all the variables you don't want to see or uncheck Select All then select the variable you want, eg. 'Easy' and OK.    
The spreadsheet will then only display those recipes rated 'Easy'.  
To restore the full sheet either recheck the Select All box or, from the top menu, click on Filter and all filters will be turned off.  

My copy of XL is quite old so I hope these instructions still apply.

Cooper's Recipes.xlsx

1 hour ago, James of Bayswater said:

Attached is a searchable XL spreadsheet for every recipe in the Cooper's database organized by style, alc/vol, colour, bitterness, volume, difficulty and ingredients.

Each of the recipe names is hyperlinked to the recipe page on this site.  Click on a recipe name and it will open a new browser window to the recipe page. 

By using the simple filters you can, for instance, filter out all the 'Easy' recipes (a bonus for new brewers) or all those recipes using the Real Ale extract kit, or all recipes under 4.0% alcohol/volume, or only those recipes for the craft fermenter (by filtering those recipes for 10 liter volumes or less).

You will get most benefit from the spreadsheet if you know how to use the SORT and AUTO FILTER functions.

This is a brief explanation of how to use the Auto Filters :

If you click on Row 2 on the left hand index (the Header row), then chose the Data menu from the top ribbon and select Filter, arrows will appear on each column header.  
If you click on the arrow on the Difficulty column a drop box will show you the list of variables to display. 
Either uncheck all the variables you don't want to see or uncheck Select All then select the variable you want, eg. 'Easy' and OK.    
The spreadsheet will then only display those recipes rated 'Easy'.  
To restore the full sheet either recheck the Select All box or, from the top menu, click on Filter and all filters will be turned off.  

My copy of XL is quite old so I hope these instructions still apply.

Cooper's Recipes.xlsx

Awesome work James 👏

Cheers Hoppy.

This is how I use it.

I scored a half a dozen Real Ales at half price during the Woolies clearance - so I filter the spreadsheet to only show recipes containing Real Ale.... 

CRDB1.jpg

I don't have any Amber extract (TCAME = Thomas Cooper Amber Malt Extract) so Dass Alto is out.
I am really only an Intermediate brewer so if I removed the Advanced recipes (that all involve a grain boil) I am left with -

crdb2.jpg

If I scrolled right I would find that 1st Borough Lager requires W-34/70 yeast where as the others just use the kit yeast.  I can brew an Unreal Ale straight away as it uses no additional hops and the kit yeast  but I'll need to visit the LHBS to pick up some Challenger and Styrian Goldings for the IPA.  The IPA is just a watered down version of the Authentic IPA so the shopping list is much the same.

Like wise I still have a Cerveza left over from another  Woolies Clearance.  I filter  for 'Mexican Cerveza'...

CRDB3.jpg

I have some citra hops in the fridge so if I pick up some Amarillo and a packet of US-05 yeast (can be seen when I scroll right) I can have a crack at the Shark Attack XPA.

It just makes planning and shopping so much easier.

Kit and kilo brewers will like this filter.  Just select Easy under the difficulty filter and a list like this is generated -

CRDB4.jpg

I feel like Tim Shaw.  But wait, there is still more...

Since I posted the spreadsheet I have found some minor errors that mess with the filters.  You can fix them manually or just download version 1.1 below.

They are :

• Some brews were listed with Hefe Wheat as the base, others with Preacher's Hefe Wheat - filter for those listed as Hefe Wheat and add 'Preachers' to the description.
  • Some brews were listed with Cerveza as the base instead of Mexican Cerveza - filter for those listed as Cerveza and add Mexican to the description.
  • Wee McHeravy should be Wee McHeavy
  • Several brews were listed with Dark as their base rather than Dark Ale - filter for those listed as Dark and add Ale to the description
That's about it.  Version 1.1 attached 

Coopers Recipes v1.1.xlsx

• 1 month later...

Legendary effort, will definitely help with my cupboard and freezer full of random ingredients from long forgotten ROTM's.  Have had to go back to kit brewing cos of shift work and low motivation so this will be really helpful.

Archived