Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

I bought the ROTM Hop Slam Bavaria pack and currently have it in my fermenter. I have done the Hop Slam IPA before, but keen to see how the added grain and hops I don't usually use taste. Given it is winter, my temps are super stable (without a fridge) and really looking forward to this one.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The krausen had started to drop on my Mosaic rye lager, so I took a gravity sample to make sure all was well. It was at about 1.012, although I couldn't be bothered clearing all the bubbles to get an exact reading, not really important at this point.

So in went my Mosaic dry hop. Was meant to be 30g but a slip of the hand meant 35g went into my stainless hop tube. Not such a bad thing from my taste of the gravity sample. The beer has a really nice clean malt foundation, some drying spicy notes (must be the rye) a touch of sweetness (must be the light crystal) and a burst of tropical fruit from the hops. Can't taste much yeast influence, just clean malt and hop flavours.

Looks like it might shape up alright, I'll probably bottle next Monday, maybe a couple of days earlier. Better get my ice brick into the freezer for my kits and bits double IPA up next! 

Cheers, 

John

I finally got to bottle my Red Ale this morning so my FV was free to recieve the Throwback IPA clone. Got 16 litres from the cube but topped it up to 17 litres with freshly boiled water. OG dropped 2 points to 1.038 but i can live with that. Keen to see how this turns out.

Cheers!

I have my choc/vanilla oatmeal stout. It has been in the fermenter for 10 days and fermentation seems to have stopped at 1.020 with my target being 1.016. 

I done the usual gentle stirring to try and get more action out of the yeast but I doubt if it will drop more. First time using S-04 yeast too

Beer Baron

I've got a 12 ltr batch of real ale in my cube/FV at the moment. Used a full can and 500g LDM with a centennial and Citra hop tea. OG was 1057. Will have been in the FV a week tomorrow. Did a check couple days ago and SG is at 1011 and it looks pretty well finished. Will dry hop with more centennial and Citra for about 5 days then cold crash for a week.

Sample was nice and bitter with a slight hop taste. Should hopefully turn out a nice drop for winter at about 6.1%.

Hmm. 

1.020 does sound a bit too high. 

I always seem to be a few points shy of my target by never 4.

ive only ever used 04 once and can’t recall having any issues. 

Pitch with Nottingham to force it down? Or is it simply done?

Could do one of those fermentation tests with a small portion of the beer to ensure it is done!

captain

So I let the ale go I put on in late may (around 3 weeks), works been quite hectic, I'll fine it up tonight and keg Friday its been carbing up nicely under pressure in elvis ? can I have a little taste this weekend ?

Kegged up my German lager yesterday after it had 1 week and 5 days cold conditioning in the fermenter and stuck it straight on gas in the kegerator (no tap connection yet). It will now get another 3 weeks chilled before I have a couple of tasters, then probably another 4 weeks before I really get to drinking it. Nice to be able to lager one properly to see how it goes. Next time I have the opportunity to stick the keg straight into the fridge I might just give it a week or so in the FV to get the next batch going a bit sooner. It doesn't really need the extra time chilling in the fermenter if it's gonna get it in the keg anyway.

Anyway, with the fermenter cleaned, I just have to give it a rinse and sanitise, then a batch of my red ale is going in. Its OG was 1.044, predicted FG is 1.0127 so looking at an ABV around 4%. Nice and sessionable and as always a lovely flavor. Will hopefully get the full 25L into the FV so I can put the excess in the 10L keg when it's ready to go in in about 2.5 weeks. Then I can blend that with the excess from the pale ale when it's ready and have an extra carton or so to drink.

Cheers

Kelsey

I have put down an Irish Red Ale, extract based;

•    1.5kg Liquid Amber Malt
•    350gs Liquid Light Malt
•    1kg LDME
•    200gs Caramunich2 @30min Steep
•    200gs Dextrose
•    40g EKG @30m
•    20g Chinook @10m
•    20g Chinook 15m Steep
•    350ml of Nottingham/US-05 slurry (leftovers)

OG: 1.046  FGpredicted 1.011 for ABV 4.9%
IBU/EBC  25/22
Made to 23 litres

I will be interested how the yeast mix goes taste wise. Not that I will know, really, as I'm not sure what the recipe should taste like. The taste at first FG test was lovely. Hope it finishes out well.  Cheers

It may occur that one of the yeast strains dominates over the other.

This cooler weather lately has been advantageous in one way - the pitching temp of my red ale today was under a degree above my intended ferment temp of 18C. It's now dropped to 17.7C but with the fridge being off and the yeast beginning to do their thing over the next 6-8 hours or so I'm sure it'll come up soon. Certainly it won't drop any further than that. I didn't use the oxygen tank on this one so the lag time may be shorter.

Cheers

Kelsey

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

This cooler weather lately has been advantageous in one way - the pitching temp of my red ale today was under a degree above my intended ferment temp of 18C. It's now dropped to 17.7C but with the fridge being off and the yeast beginning to do their thing over the next 6-8 hours or so I'm sure it'll come up soon. Certainly it won't drop any further than that. I didn't use the oxygen tank on this one so the lag time may be shorter.

Cheers

Kelsey

The weather has been great may punch all me lagers out in this weather this winter for the year.

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Kelsey is right. Eventually one strain becomes dominant over the other(s) from the literature I've read that is available. The time-frames of this occurring often differ under home brewing conditions due to the fact that we have less control over creating accurate levels of yeast cells from our re-use processes to the point where the levels of one strain prior to pitching, outnumber the other strain(s) cells levels, thus becoming dominant.

I've actually re-pitched a Nottingham/US-05 yeast mix on a brew & it turned out very well. I certainly wouldn't be scared to do something like this again provided there was some similarities between the strains used. That said, there are some situations where creating a base flavour via the initial yeast is important, but introducing a secondary yeast with a more aggressive profile to further ferment & perhaps help carbonate the wort further may be beneficial.

Just my 2 cents.

Lusty.

Yes.

Many of the strains we enjoy the benefits of today have evolved from this type of experimentation.

Our own PB2 has a sneaky little strain of his own that I believe he has gone to great lengths to maintain & keep alive for many, many years.

Best ask him about that though. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Perhaps you are referring to the Commercial Coopers strain, which I rescued from a few talls of Sparkling Ale (way back in 2000 'ish), raised it and cared for it like it was my own.  ?
However, I'm not the parent I thought I was...through all that shocking abuse, rather than kill the yeast off, I somehow made it stronger!  So the plus side - it's more tolerant to alcohol and longer lived in the bottle.  Coopers have it in their yeast bank labelled as "PB2".

As for blending yeast strains - the dry yeast suppliers recommend doing this with one fermentation cycle.  After that, you never know what you have in the slurry.  It's not just a matter of one or the other strain becoming more dominant, but there is also plenty of sexy time between the two strains, which produce all sorts of offspring mutant ninja yeasts...

13 minutes ago, PB2 said:

Perhaps you are referring to the Commercial Coopers strain, which I rescued from a few talls of Sparkling Ale (way back in 2000 'ish), raised it and cared for it like it was my own.  
However, I'm not the parent I thought I was...through all that shocking abuse, rather than kill the yeast off, I somehow made it stronger!  So the plus side - it's more tolerant to alcohol and longer lived in the bottle.  Coopers have it in their yeast bank labelled as "PB2".

As for blending yeast strains - the dry yeast suppliers recommend doing this with one fermentation cycle.  After that, you never know what you have in the slurry.  It's not just a matter of one or the other strain becoming more dominant, but there is also plenty of sexy time between the two strains, which produce all sorts of offspring mutant ninja yeasts...

You make it sound sooooo much more sexy & inviting than I do Paul. ? ?

Thanks for the added info on your personal strain evolution. 18yrs old now & part of the Coopers yeast bank, that's pretty cool! In itself, it's now legally old enough to drink!

God help us if it gets loose! ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

The red ale is up and running (at least visually) about 18 hours post pitching. A thin layer of bubbles is emerging on top of the beer now, which should form into a nice krausen over the next 8-12 hours. Saturday or Sunday I'll allow the temp to come up a few degrees to ensure it finishes off nicely, then probably drop it down for a cold crash next Friday and keg it the following Saturday. Somewhere along the line the 30g Cascade dry hop will go in too.

Cheers

Kelsey

10 hours ago, PB2 said:

Perhaps you are referring to the Commercial Coopers strain, which I rescued from a few talls of Sparkling Ale (way back in 2000 'ish), raised it and cared for it like it was my own.  ?

That’s the coolest thing I’ve heard this year!

Youve got to be pretty happy with yourself when one of the top breweries in Australia keep your amazing Hulk strain in the vault for safe keeping. 

Good on ya Paul. 

Captain

My stout is stuck at 1.020 with the target being 1.016. 

I will go ahead and bottle on Saturday (all my kegs are full)

I might keep them in my fermentation fridge to carbonate at a stable temperature. What temps do you recommend??it has been a long time since I have bottled. 

Cheers

BB

Archived