Coopers Community

I walked into a bottleshop...

Beerlust

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2019 at 8:32 PM, porschemad911 said:

... And found a 2014 De Struise Pannepot Reserva, a beer I've been wanting to try for ages. Woohoo! Also grabbed a Petrus Aged Pale and Oud Bruin. Ah the Belgians... gotta love 'em!

big-kev-im-excited.jpg

😁

I hope you enjoy them John.

Lusty.

23 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I hope you enjoy them John.

The Aged Pale was absolutely brilliant, with an apple cider vinegar flavour and tartness, nice depth of malt flavour and some excellent funk. 

The Aged Red (not Oud Bruin as I mistakenly said) is a blend of Aged Pale and Kriek. It was a bit richer and sweeter, with intense cherry flavour. Very enjoyable, but I preferred the Aged Pale. 

Will have to grab one of the Oud Bruin next time I'm in the shop. 

Cheers, 

John 

22 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

The Aged Red (not Oud Bruin as I mistakenly said) is a blend of Aged Pale and Kriek. It was a bit richer and sweeter, with intense cherry flavour. Very enjoyable, but I preferred the Aged Pale.

I've had a Belgian cherry Kriek before. Quite a wonderful beer. 😎 🤤

This sort of stuff is why Belgian beers have a very unique place among world beers.

Ever thought about making one John?

Lusty.

4 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Ever thought about making one John?

I have wanted to get a smack pack of Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes for a while now and give it a go in a Dubbel. Tim from HopDog in Nowra used to make some sensational beers with that yeast. He used to barrel age some of the best with Brett as well for some extra funk, but I'm not quite ready for that step yet. Not keen to double up on equipment to avoid every beer I make going funky. His clean Belgians were great, so it is definitely a good yeast. Unfortunately he closed up shop to focus on restaurants.

So many things to brew, and I've got so much beer on hand already, I'm running out of places to put it! Plus my wife just surprised me an early birthday 16 pack... 2 each of 4 different porters + 2 each of 4 different red IPAs. 2 great styles! 

Maybe I'll save the Belgian brewing for next summer instead of doing more saisons. Should be OK with judicial use of ice bricks in my Cool Brewing Bag. 

Cheers, 

John

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I got a carton of Burleigh brewing tropical pale ale earlier and stuck 12 in the kegerator. Not expecting a hell of a lot but some good refreshment would be nice in the humidity

It is perfect for hot, humid weather.

I walked into my local Aldi and found that they were selling Black Sheep Ales for $2/ 500ml .  I grabbed a box and started loading up with the Monty Python and the Golden Ale.  There waere some Christmas Ales there too but I passed on those.   

I don't know if it is every Aldi or only mine .  All the Black Sheep left the shelves a month ago but these have returned.

I know this Yorkshire beer didn't tickle everyone the first time around but it tickled me and  $4/litre for beer this good is an absolute bargain.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

So the missus is gone to Melbourne this weekend so I said I’d treat myself to some craft. 

Next minute ( and $120 later )

2FE4019A-B327-4843-BF87-C4E5076DEF3F.jpeg

Paddy, are you telling us you spent $120 on 16 beers? Please tell me this is just a sample portion of the beers you bought. Please.

• Like 1

Just now, MUZZY said:

$70 a litre? No f****** way. Everyone to their own but I just could not do it.

Muzzy it was one of the best beers I’ve ever had from La Sarene in Melbourne. You can only get it in bottles. 

The best Saison I’ve had was from Fantome in Belgium. That was a 750ml champagne bottle for about $35 I think. Worth every cent.

Ive had more expensive beers but none as good as those two. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Muzzy it was one of the best beers I’ve ever had from La Sarene in Melbourne. You can only get it in bottles. 

The best Saison I’ve had was from Fantome in Belgium. That was a 750ml champagne bottle for about $35 I think. Worth every cent.

Ive had more expensive beers but none as good as those two. 

With all due respect, Skipper, you're f****** mad or drunk or both. LOL
As I said before, everyone to their own. If it makes you happy then it can't be that bad. (apologies for the blatant plagiarism)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

With all due respect, Skipper, you're f****** mad or drunk or both. LOL
As I said before, everyone to their own. If it makes you happy then it can't be that bad. (apologies for the blatant plagiarism)

You know what I find mad, paying $12 a pint  of (insert megaswill brand name) at a local pub. 

Im not having a crack Muz, by any stretch, I find it amusing. Like you say, each to their own. 

I really enjoy well made beer. Just like a good red. 

• Like 3

Don't worry too much Muzzy, Capt. is a FIFO worker. He can afford it. 😜

When I think of the things I've done &/or bought for $50 in my life that were a complete waste of that money, I honestly can't remember including ANY beer in that conversation. 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

You know what I find mad, paying $12 a pint  of (insert megaswill brand name) at a local pub. 

Im not having a crack Muz, by any stretch, I find it amusing. Like you say, each to their own. 

I really enjoy well made beer. Just like a good red. 

No offence taken on my part, Skipper. My first question to bar staff when I'm in an unfamiliar pub is. "What's on special?" I'd probably go without than pay $12 for ordinary beer. 🙂

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Paddy, are you telling us you spent $120 on 16 beers? Please tell me this is just a sample portion of the beers you bought. Please.

Yip.  Bought from Scarborough cellars. An absolute beast of a bottle shop but it’s also why I’ve started to home brew. 

I’ve had two of the nail super vpa’s.  Four cans for $28.  330 ml

they taste  like someone twisted a lemon over an ipa. So disappointing.  But strong at 8.5%

as long as the missus doesn’t find out , I’m golden 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Don't worry too much Muzzy, Capt. is a FIFO worker. He can afford it. 😜

When I think of the things I've done &/or bought for $50 in my life that were a complete waste of that money, I honestly can't remember including ANY beer in that conversation. 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

If he's a FIFO worker he's also probably earned the right to enjoy a decent beer then. The money might be ok but it's a hard life being away from home.

• Like 3