Coopers Community

I walked into a bottleshop...

Beerlust

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It definitely went down well. Not a flavour bomb by any means but not bland either. I got a bit over it after a few though, it began tasting a bit tart. 

Yeah, I find it a bit lacking but it is good in the heat.

9 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Don't worry too much Muzzy, Capt. is a FIFO worker. He can afford it. 😜

This kind of comment once apon a time annoyed me a bit. Because I once worked the long swings. 4-6 weeks on 1 week off. I’ve done much longer swings but this was the normal swing times. And non fifo people saw this as “yeah, he’s got money to burn, your shout, you work FIFO, you can offord it.” This sort of thing happened every time I went somewhere. Even when I was working at the pub playing music on my time off. 

I now work even time rosters and don’t have as much of the earning capacity like I use to. But because I did a number of hard years I paid off my house, got married and own everything I have before we started a family. So now, even with the smaller earning capacity, I can still afford splurges every now and then. 

There are lots of people I know that didn’t be smart with their money and after ten years of FIFO still own nothing and are in a world of hurt. 

9 hours ago, MUZZY said:

If he's a FIFO worker he's also probably earned the right to enjoy a decent beer then. The money might be ok but it's a hard life being away from home.

Thanks Muzzy. I’ve missed out on a lot of my  stuff in my life so far due to working away. I’m now 38. So every now and then I do want for something special. Not very often but yeah, every now and then. 

Now back on topic, a hotel/bottle shop is putting on a craft beer tasting thing today. All the local breweries and some ones from Perth. All pouring their core ranges but also something different. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

This kind of comment once apon a time annoyed me a bit. Because I once worked the long swings. 4-6 weeks on 1 week off. I’ve done much longer swings but this was the normal swing times. And non fifo people saw this as “yeah, he’s got money to burn, your shout, you work FIFO, you can offord it.” This sort of thing happened every time I went somewhere. Even when I was working at the pub playing music on my time off. 

I now work even time rosters and don’t have as much of the earning capacity like I use to. But because I did a number of hard years I paid off my house, got married and own everything I have before we started a family. So now, even with the smaller earning capacity, I can still afford splurges every now and then. 

There are lots of people I know that didn’t be smart with their money and after ten years of FIFO still own nothing and are in a world of hurt. 

Thanks Muzzy. I’ve missed out on a lot of my  stuff in my life so far due to working away. I’m now 38. So every now and then I do want for something special. Not very often but yeah, every now and then.  

As someone whos about to be deployed for nearly half the year I agree. Yeah different from FIFO but we work under the same circumstances, away from loved ones most the time and people think you are made of money. Iv only been in for a short while but the money you earn certainly doesn't make up for the time lost or your kids tears.

100% treat yourself when you can! people always ask me when we are at the pub why spend money on a craft beer when you can get Tooheys or something for a lot cheaper.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I've got quite a number of friends & relatives that have done it/still do it. Places like Cooper Pedy, QLD mining & refineries, & WA mining sites. Most were smart enough to pay their mortgages off & get ahead in life before returning to local jobs etc. Not having the burden of a mortgage gives you a little more freedom to buy & do the things one might not ordinarily do. Hats off to those that can pull it off. Two relatives of mine are both now recently divorced due to the strain the FIFO routine puts on families etc. & the time apart. 😢 As a younger man I thought about doing this, but felt I would be giving up too much of my life in-between, so stayed local.

Money ain't everything. Unfortunately a lot of people don't realise that until it's too late.

Ohh, & don't worry Capt. if we ever have a session at a pub, I'll start the rounds. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I’ll second that. Great bottl’o. 

Paddy if your ever down Busselton way, try Cape cellars. Always got some real different stuff in from everywhere. 

The missus uncle is a cop in busso. So we go down quite a lot and stay with him. I’ve been in there. The craft section is spectacular and staff are very knowledgeable. 

I was in Port Pirie (SA) last week on business & the old Family Hotel which has been closed for a while has re-opened under the name of "The Fam Pirie".It is now a Brewery Hotel & has been completely renovated with everything going for it, Brewery Bar, Bistro, Beer Garden, Wood Fired Pizza.   www.thefampirie.com.au  The beer range is awesome & the Brewer owns a Brew Supplies Shop I town. I tried heaps of styles, even a 'White Stout' 7%, awesome. The Beer prices are a bit high, but they have a few specials. Luckily I have to go back there in a week or two.

20190210_143521.thumb.jpg.09c3e019eb329178dd87168a0c8b245c.jpg20190207_165737.thumb.jpg.d25264a696a2829644125b1fbc33ee90.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Went into Dans yesterday after grabbing a few roses for the missus thought Id treat myself to a couple. Seen some one sticking some stickers on some iron jack and thought I'd have a look then noticed they where dropped to $16 for a 30 pack. Not a fan of it but for that price I thought I'd grab a case. Helped soften the blow to the wallet of a dozen roses and chocolates😂

20190214_182858.jpg

Edited by Smashed Crabs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/10/2019 at 2:42 PM, CLASSIC said:

I was in Port Pirie (SA) last week on business & the old Family Hotel which has been closed for a while has re-opened under the name of "The Fam Pirie".It is now a Brewery Hotel & has been completely renovated with everything going for it, Brewery Bar, Bistro, Beer Garden, Wood Fired Pizza.   www.thefampirie.com.au  The beer range is awesome & the Brewer owns a Brew Supplies Shop I town. I tried heaps of styles, even a 'White Stout' 7%, awesome. The Beer prices are a bit high, but they have a few specials. Luckily I have to go back there in a week or two.

20190210_143521.thumb.jpg.09c3e019eb329178dd87168a0c8b245c.jpg20190207_165737.thumb.jpg.d25264a696a2829644125b1fbc33ee90.jpg

I never knew this existed and i go to Pirie quite often haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's why I'm getting two fermenters up and running soon. It's getting increasingly difficult to justify the paying the ridiculous prices for beer here when I can brew it myself much cheaper. Often when I'm buying beer after running out of my own I'll choose a cheap imported lager over the usual craft beer I drink because $70-80+ for a carton is pure bullshit.

Hi James,

I agree on the pricing, way overboard ! I expect most of us have been in Craft Breweries & some Pubs who like to think they have something unique & bang their prices up, imagine the bill if you stayed for a session !

Attached a bit of “pinched” info.

Cheers

Phil

The story behind the smaller beer pint glass in South Australia provokes several theories.

South Australia’s beer glass sizes and names – pint, schooner, butcher and pony – remain oddities with their origin clouded.

Elsewhere in Australia, a pint of beer is 570 millilitres. In South Australia, it’s 452 millilitres.

A South Australian schooner is 285 millilitres (slightly smaller than the interstate counterpart), a butcher is 200 millilitres and a pony is 140 millilitres.

The name “butcher” is itself a South Australian oddity.

The story behind the smaller pint glass in South Australia provokes several theories. One is that the forceful Temperance movement, which forced pubs to close at 6pm for most of the early 20th Century, also lobbied for smaller glass sizes. Or it may have been a product of World War I or 1930s Depression austerity.

Various breweries offering imprecise bottle sizes began the practice of referring to “reputed” quarts or pints.

The long-controversial “reputed” pint changed from 18 fluid ounces to 17 and in 1951 to the 16 fluid ounces fixed by the prices commissioner. By the 1980s, the reputed pint was down to 15 fluid ounces.

Imperial half pints had been sold in South Australia in the 1850s. World War II saw a decline in imperial pints. The federal government imposed higher beer taxes as part of the war effort, as it had in World War I. While New South Wales, Queensland and Western Australia decided to charge more for beer, South Australia kept prices the same but reduced the size of glasses.

The most common theory about the name of the butcher glass refers to Adelaide’s Newmarket Hotel, on the corner of North and West terraces, near a 19th Century abattoir. The smaller butcher glass was said to be a favourite with abattoir workers, possibly because it wouldn’t slip through their bloodied fingers.

But other pubs close to butcher shops or meat works are credited with originating the name that was used at least as early as the 1880s – for glass that were not always small. Or the glasses were given to boys delivering meat to hotels. Or the name is from the German “becher” for a drinking vessel.

From: Coopers Community <noreply@invisioncloudcommunity.com>
Sent: Saturday, 23 February 2019 7:28 PM
To: aussiepubads@gmail.com
Subject: James of Bayswater quoted one of your posts

Template_Aust_Beer_Glass.html

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I agree on the pricing, way overboard ! 

Guys,

Don't forget the ROBBERS in this equation is our hard working Gumbent.

The Beer Excise I would have to pay on my 21litres of Extra Stout (6.3% ABV) in my FV if I was a commercial brewer would work out to be $67 approx. Obviously commercial brewers pass this Tax through to the consumer at POS. Hence why Australian Beer prices are so high compared to other countries.

By brewing your own you avoid this Tax levied by our wonderful Gumbent. May they all be the first against the wall when the revolution begins & we install a benevolent dictator who likes beer!!

Cheers

Edited by YeastyBoy
No change

Well said, Yeasty Boy,

They are all a mob of Greedy, Selfish, Hypocrites who are all out for themselves, you cannot trust any of them. The way we change our government & Prime Ministers is an absolute Joke.

The Blind leading the Blind !!

The fact that we can produce our own Beer & avoid those taxes is great.

We should have a Bastille Day like the French & weed a few of them out. 😏 ⛩️

• Like 2

On 2/15/2019 at 6:13 PM, Smashed Crabs said:

Went into Dans yesterday after grabbing a few roses for the missus thought Id treat myself to a couple. Seen some one sticking some stickers on some iron jack and thought I'd have a look then noticed they where dropped to $16 for a 30 pack. Not a fan of it but for that price I thought I'd grab a case. Helped soften the blow to the wallet of a dozen roses and chocolates😂

20190214_182858.jpg

Yeah...but then you had to drink it. 😜

Nice of Dan's to put a price tag on it of what it should be to buy though. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

1 hour ago, YeastyBoy said:

Guys,

Don't forget the ROBBERS in this equation is our hard working Gumbent.

The Beer Excise I would have to pay on my 21litres of Extra Stout (6.3% ABV) in my FV if I was a commercial brewer would work out to be $67 approx. Obviously commercial brewers pass this Tax through to the consumer at POS. Hence why Australian Beer prices are so high compared to other countries.

By brewing your own you avoid this Tax levied by our wonderful Gumbent. May they all be the first against the wall when the revolution begins & we install a benevolent dictator who likes beer!!

Cheers

This is one of the biggest jokes in regard to taxes on the people of Australia today. A tax that essentially has no merit & has been allowed to escalate out of control with little to no mass objection to it's continued bi-annual increase where a government would be required to do something about it. I find the whole premise of its current existence absolutely ridiculous.

For those interested in it's origins, it was originally introduced as a prosperity/wealth tax under the Labor Bob Hawke/Paul Keating government era. It was introduced as a means for the government then to increase revenue during a period of collective growth & wealth by Australians. A time when jobs were plentiful & income vs the economy had the majority of workers in Australia in a good position to comfortably absorb the increase costs involved without any real noticeable hardship. The percentage of this tax was also very low back then, unlike today.

That isn't the case now, & hasn't been for some time. The economy is very different now from what it was then.

It's about time someone or some corporate entity did something about it too. It's near enough brought an entire industry to it's knees & brought about social economic problems & increased crime levels as a result with it. The evolution of poker machines in every pub grew from the inability of pubs/hotels to make money at the percentages they once did & simply looking at a means to maintain similar levels. Ironically revenue from poker machines is also taxed at a ridiculously high rate.

WTF is someone going to do something about this???

Rant over.

Lusty.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

I went to my local bottleo to pick up some ciders for herself.  

Modus Operandi have a new beer. 10% abv, 500 ml can .........$17 🤔

They did have an offer though 

only $60 for a four pack 

I tried it last weekend. We got offered a discount and got a 4 pack for $45. I went quarters with three others so it cost roughly $11 for 500 mls of 10% beer. It was OK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

I tried it last weekend. We got offered a discount and got a 4 pack for $45. I went quarters with three others so it cost roughly $11 for 500 mls of 10% beer. It was OK.

Excellent, Slow Mo would probably thank you for your contribution of $5 in a rip off booze tax for your quarter share to Gumbent.

However he is presently too occupied flying around in a private jet and living it up on the taxpayer in Hobart giving pork barrelling a good old shake prior to this years Fed election. We are getting an International Airport (again) & probably World Peace too!!

We hope they spend your $5 wisely, however very unlikely!!

Edited by YeastyBoy
  • Thanks 1

I bought a six pack of Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing IPA. It’s pretty good (but not very hazy).

I also picked up some English style beers. A couple of a Young’s Special London Ale and a couple of 4 Pines ESB. Both tasty beers.