Coopers Community

I walked into a bottleshop...

Beerlust

Hi guys.

I thought this might make for an interesting new topic for various reasons. Time will tell.

Anyways, I walked into one of my local bottlesshops & they had Goose Island 6 packs of their IPA 5.9% ABV for $24. Right next to them on the shelf was their Session IPA @ 4.1% ABV (I think) also @ $24.00. surprised

Guess which 6 pack I took home? whistling

I've had the IPA on tap & is a nice drop. The bottled version is as good. cool

At 5.9% it's not quite sessionable, but I'm a thrill-seeker so push these limits! biggrin

Most enjoyable.

I hope others will share their bottleshop experiences.

Lusty.

I walked in to a bottle shop and saw they wanted 25 bucks for a 6 pack.....so I walked out and went home to put a brew down instead.

I find it so hard to buy a 6 pack when you see mediocre beer at outrageous prices. Saw a carton of Becks on special for like 50 bucks the other day....I used to buy the imported stuff for like 36 bucks a carton at the regular price.

In saying that...bought a 6 pack of Newstead Liquidamber the last time I bought beer and it's delicious.

I tend to buy individual bottles or six packs to try a few different beers, get inspiration for brews or for some variety.

I don't buy many cases of beer; only if in a brewing drought. However, I did recently buy a case of Goose IPA and Goose Midway (mid strength). The 5.9% IPA was the better beer of the two, the Midway had a strange aftertaste, although it didn't stop me finishing it off.

But if I am after a cheap case of craft beer, I get the Australian Brewery Seis Hermanos Lager at First Choice for $48. Great in summer and a decent price relative to other craft beers.

I walked into Dan's last week to buy the annual rum supply for Christmas cake and rum balls. I always spend a bit of time in the craft beer aisle and see what's on the shelf. This time I walked out with just rum as over $20 for a 6 pack is getting a bit on the high side for me especially as most 6 packs have been a disappointment lately. I think by the time beer gets to NQ and sits on the shelf for X amount of time, the hops have but almost disappeared. I have found that 4Pines have been OK though. Mostly I can drink nicer beer from home at a fraction of the price. Probably what Hairy wrote was a good idea about just buying singles.

I walked into my local Liquorbland, expecting to be disappointed if not enraged, like usual tongue

Ended up walking out with a 6 pack of Yeastie Boys Bigmouth Session IPA and was pleasantly surprised. It was $23 or so but that's not much more than they charge for Becks , and it was a decent drop. Hoppy and easy to drink but still up around the standard Aussie full strength % so you don't feel ripped off.

Had a Byron Bay cloudy pale lager the other day too, that's another very nice drink.

But mostly, like everyone else, I don't go in there cos I feel offended at being asked to pay $$$ for what I can make at home for cheap. Had a cocktail last night, very average, and for 2 of those I could've made 3 cartons....

Whoops forgot one. White Shield UK IPA, bought a longneck of that. Apparently UK's oldest and most award winning IPA.

Tasted exactly like the Coopers kit with no additions. Good on ya Coopers! I can make a heavily decorated concoction at home with a tin opener and a big plastic tub.

I only walk into a bottle shop if I want O'maras Irish cream or Brown brothers port, Living in the luckier country when it comes to beer shopping, I can buy my beer with my bananas,,,, the bottle shops are usually more expensive for beers anyway.

So,

I continued walking through the supermarket, into the beer & wine Isle,,

And I brought a 12pk of MOA Station IPA, 5.1% session ale for $23nzd (sorry guys, your unlucky again,,,) very nice beer & a bargain at the same price as mega swill 4% trash beers..

Ive tried there Pale ale & Lager, which is actually very nice & un-lager like if you ask me, much more flavour than run of the mill lager, but the Station IPA is by far the best of the 3.

I don't tend to buy much beer from bottle shops anymore (usually only when I run out of homebrew and then I buy $30 slabs of imported Euro lager) because the prices are bloody ludicrous. I do understand there are a few reasons behind this, the biggest one being the ridiculous tax on alcohol in this country and also the increased excise the craft brewers have to pay compared to the megaswill brewers, but if I want to drink something similar to the beers I usually brew, I'm up for somewhere between $60 and $80 a carton... given they come in pissy little 330mL bottles, they only last about a week so it becomes a bit of an expensive exercise.

However, on occasion I have bought single bottles or 6 packs just to try something new, and have had some really nice beers and a few shockers as well lol. That O'Brien gluten free shit tastes bloody awful for example. Usually for trying new beers though I just go to a beer bar.. it's more expensive of course but they usually have a lot more to choose from and I enjoy the atmosphere as well, it's a bit more of an outing than going down the road to the bottlo. tongue

Drove past a bottleshop today, then spotted their sign stating "new craft beers in stock", so did a u-turn and walked into said bottleshop.

Came out with :

1 x Big Shed Frankenbrown, 1 x Big Shed F Yeah, 1 x Big Shed Golden Stout Time, 1 x Brooklyn Lager, 1 x Brooklyn East IPA & 1 x Brooklyn Brown Ale.

6 beers for $37.50. Yum yum yum.

My old routine was to drop in to my local craft friendly bottle-o (Candamber in Weston Creek, Canberra) on Friday after work and get whatever looked interesting. In some ways I miss that routine.

I did treat myself to a mixed bag a couple of weekends ago when i was headed down the coast and had some real winners. Akasha Hopsmith IPA is great, thought might not be to everyone's taste and Sydney Brewing Co's Rye IPA is also great. Both had me planning to go very hop aggressive for my next batch.

I still buy commercial beer to try them out and get some inspiration.

I was recently on holidays so that was 8 days without home-brew. So I took the opportunity to buy good beer only and a try a few favourites (Modus Operandi Pale Ale, Fixation IPA, Stone & Wood Pacific Ale) and also some new ones. It did cost me a small fortune (e.g. 8 beers was $58.80) but I did pick up a 4 pack on special for $17 (Fixation IPA).

Too many to list now but one of the new ones I liked was Black Hops Hornet IPA. Underwhelmed by a few, perhaps not fresh or just not as hoppy as I expected for an IPA.

I did come home to a mixed case of Bridge Road Brewers beers that I am so keen to try out. Some cool ones in there.

And from 1 Dec I get to open my Beer Cartel advent calendar and try a new beer every day! surely there will be some inspiration in that case of 24. And some new stuff I definitely haven't tried before

• 2 weeks later...
And from 1 Dec I get to open my Beer Cartel advent calendar and try a new beer every day! surely there will be some inspiration in that case of 24. And some new stuff I definitely haven't tried before

I got one of these for my birthdaybiggrin - the "BoozeBud" one (case of 25). Took a sneaky peak at the first one (I'm overseas for day 1 to 16' date=' and besides, I'm not religious)...[img']innocent[/img]

What! They've put a Cider in herepouty. The Second one: it's a cider toosurprised. It's ALL cider.sadsick.

Turned out to be Boozebud's error and they're sending the beer.

They would have replaced it had it been an error at the buyer end so it wouldn't have been the worst thing.

... and I get to keep the Cider.unsure

You should be pretty safe with Beer Cartel.

• 1 month later...

I walked into a bottle shop in Singapore... Which was also a drink on premise. So my brother in law and I sampled 13 beers. Mostly American, some British and Belgian. Stone, Firestone Walker, Dogfish Head, Deschutes, Heretic and more... and of course Orval. Mostly hop heavy beers, but some roasty, some barrel aged and some funky. That was a fun afternoon!

Walked into Dans today,standard swill like VB, Carlton draught etc $52.00 per slab !

Bloody thieves I reckon like petrol companies. Twas $10 per slab cheaper last week.

Its usually warm out of the cool room as well. Wont buy beer from them.

Unfortunately I have no choice with the petrol thieves if I want my car to maintain motion.

Found a battleship tucked away in the CBD that had some OK reviews for craft beer selection. Was pleasantly surprised by the Red Bottle on Sussex Street in Sydney CBD. Two fridges of craft beer and not just the usual suspects. I needed cans rather than bottles last night, so I picked up Sauce Brewing Co's Pale Ale, Mismatch Pale Ale and Alaska Hopsmith IPA.

The Sauce beer was a mistake, I should've gone for the IPA. I didn't find it hoppy enough - perhaps more of an Aussie Pale Ale than an American one. The Mismatch I hadn't tried before and really loved it. Will definitely buy again. Akasha Hopsmith I've had plenty of times and it was fresh and as good as expected.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like you have it pretty rough choice and price-wise down under. here you can usually get a mixed six of craft beer (sometimes even a six of pints!) for about £10, so $18? Or cheap naff lager for £15 for 20 odd cans ($25?)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not a bottle shop story but over the weekend I was having a few down the local surf club. Being a surf club it has your stock standard flavours we’ve seen since the dawn of time. However it has our local fellas....black hops, Burleigh brewing, I think I rolled my eyes over some lost palms also....

my point being, when you’re paying Almost $10 a Schooner for something that’s not XXXX, VB or (insert big swill here), it makes those home made bad boys taste a whole lot better. Particularly when the local kegs come from less than 8km away.

Sorry, probably stated the obvious.

happy Thursday.

M

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Not a bottle shop story but over the weekend I was having a few down the local surf club. Being a surf club it has your stock standard flavours we’ve seen since the dawn of time. However it has our local fellas....black hops, Burleigh brewing, I think I rolled my eyes over some lost palms also....

my point being, when you’re paying Almost $10 a Schooner for something that’s not XXXX, VB or (insert big swill here), it makes those home made bad boys taste a whole lot better. Particularly when the local kegs come from less than 8km away.

Sorry, probably stated the obvious.

happy Thursday.

M

Currumbin surf club? One of my former locals back in the day.