Coopers Community

On the wagon, anyone else done it?

Frosty Chop

I only drink about once a week, these days, which is quite a change from back in the day when I maybe wouldn't drink one day a week. I'll make an exception for a special occasion, but mostly it's just a bit of whiskey (neat) or a couple of beers, one night in a week.

I'm losing weight, so that's part of it, but the main thing is that I'm on heart meds (structural defect in my heart) and alcohol can exacerbate the blood pressure-lowering effect of the medication, so I have to be careful about how much and how quick. "They" would prefer folks on these kinds of meds don't drink at all, but there's not much point in living a longer, healthier life if you don't have a life to live.

I would also be happy to drink sans alcohol if it wouldn't otherwise affect the experience; I enjoy a mild buzz these days, but I haven't been legitimately hammered since the night I proposed to my wife. *ahem* biggrinannoyed

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Bluddy hell Robert now I want a beer and a cigar!

Hey Frosty Chop

When you make beer that tastes as good as ours then you are at risk of overindulgence for sure.

Yeah, I am amazed at how good my beer is now compared to what I made years ago when I was doing everything wrong.

So I'm in the process of slimming down from a rather portly 77.6kg back to a trimmer weight. I'm 6 foot tall' date=' so my wife's set me a target of 75kg so as to be on the lower end of the BMI scale for my height. But I'm going for 72kg at first, then 70kg. I'll be back to being bone, muscle and skin by then, which will be fantastic! I'm really looking forward to my pairs of Japanese denim fitting more comfortably again, they are definitely not made for round Westerners like me at the moment![/quote']

Geeze Porschemad you must be skinny as a rake already! I'm 6'2" ish and about 92kg at the moment, I look fairly slim already but would like to get down to 87kg. Any less than that and I think I'd look like I'd done time in Changi during WW2.

Otto, you have youth on your side and a fast metabolism. I remember taking weight gain supplements in my early 30's. From 40 onwards I've been trying not to stack it on.

Cheers

Peter

I started to notice I couldn't eat and drink what I wanted at about 33.

45 now, about 6'1'' and was 86kg, went on fasting 5:2 thing 3 years ago, have floated around 70 to 73 for a couple of years, about 75kg now after the xmas binge, hit a low of 66kg at one stage, ideal weight about 72 I think. BMI says I woudl only be just starting to be underweight at 61kg.

People thought there was something wrong with me at 70kg, but it's just because the norm is to be fat.

Seems 33 is teh unfortunate number for many of my mates too Porchemad. Maybe we just slow down with the energetic activities around then? I think I got married at 33, maybe that was it?...

Canadian, half your luck, sitting on an office chair means I can just look at a beer and I'l put on weight... Cycling to work helps get a bit of activity happening I figure.

I'm 41 years old

42, 6 foot, 93 kgs.

Beer gut.

Exercise a fair bit.

Ride, run, weights, swim.

Drink heaps and enjoy it a lot.

Shady past so if this is all then it's all good.

Good on you if you need/ want to dry up and can, but not me, no need, no want.

Oh so this is turning out to be like the "About Ourselves" thread.

5 foot 11 and 3/4

86 kg

51 years old

Made a cricket comeback this year after a 20 year lay off, training twice a week and playing once a week. Need to do more as I'd like to be 82 kg again.

Don't drink soft drinks, or add sugar to my coffee but I do love my home made beer.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Oh so this is turning out to be like the "About Ourselves" thread.

Oops sorry' date=' I think I might have derailed it.

I have a couple of kilos to lose from my US trip.

Not too bad if that's the only damage, especially after spending a while in the US! Usually when I go to Singapore to visit the in-laws I spend a couple of weeks. I weigh myself after arriving then again just before heading to the airport to come home. Unfortunately the damage is usually about 5kg ... but it's so worth it! My in-laws are very hospitable so I don't think I even get a chance to feel hungry for the whole trip.

Jeepers creepers! ..... you guys make me feel huge, if your in double digits and anything more than 5ft your laughin! Isn't anyone out there into triple figures?

I'm 6ft 5 and over 130 kgs and am built like Shrek! , and probably some other similarities aswell.

Sure, I exercise as much as I can, 4-5 times a week. but bring a desk jockey all day means it's hard not to look like a Weddell Seal, especially when you like food and drink as much as I do!

That'd be at least 20 kg if my 'padding' but even if I'd lost that I'd still be 110kg plus.

ill have to hide these lovely homebrews away and get back to 'just on weekends' to avoid being harpooned when I'm next at the beach lol

Made a cricket comeback this year after a 20 year lay off' date=' training twice a week and playing once a week. [/quote']

I did that last year after about 11 years out of the game. Loved getting back into it again. It was just a social T20 competition; the plan was to use the T20 to get some match practice and then go back to my old club and play some real cricket this summer but that didn't happen unfortunately. Hopefully next summer though.

Jeepers creepers! ..... you guys make me feel huge' date=' if your in double digits and anything more than 5ft your laughin! Isn't anyone out there into triple figures?

[/quote']

G'day bro I'm also 6'5" or 195cm in the old scale, 116kg and a bit flabby about the midriff whistling

Haven't been on the wagon for ages, but inevitably it will happen within a month or so.

I had to throw out 2 batches or beer recently, am quickly running out of beer, & am getting increasingly frustrated with an ever expanding spare tyre.

With that in mind, I'm thinking when the current stocks run out, I'll brew a few batches, build stocks up, & only taste samples at the beginning & end of each brew for a while.

SWMBO has suggested I do this; I'm not telling her, but I'd already been thinking the same.

Part of it is I've been increasingly building the amount of malt in each brew, & I know that can contribute to weight gain.

So I'll be on a self imposed wagon for a while, but far from ready to give up the booze entirely, just being practical & building my stocks faster than I've been drinking it, trying to reduce the spare tyre, & giving my organs a bit of a break for a while.

I reckon about a month to 6 weeks will be long enough, as I should get a few brews done in that time, building my stocks back up, as well as start to notice some health benefits & get rid of a bit of flab on the way.

6'3"' date=' 75kg and built like a Tyrannosaurus Rex (big legs, tiny upper body) thanks to my cycling[/quote']

I'm a bit like this, 6'2" and 82kg. Mostly legs from the bike!

Regarding the wagon, I try and have an AFW Monday - Thursday with a couple of drinks over the weekend. Usually only 2-3 each night so not too much. Having said that, I just put down my fifth brew last night, so with a cupboard full it's becoming increasingly difficult not to keep testing just to see how the bottle conditioning is going!

biggrin

I tried to get on the wagon one time, well I say wagon it was more like a truck and this bloke with a guitar was running around dressed in a school uniform, know idea why and this other joker was belting away on the bag pipes, my ears were ringing, some drongo in a black T-shirt with security across the front pushed me off, I went down hard, gravel rashed my knees, hurt my hand, rolled over and woke up. tongue

lol

I'm having fun. wink

Cheers.

Made a cricket comeback this year after a 20 year lay off' date=' training twice a week and playing once a week. [/quote']

I did that last year after about 11 years out of the game. Loved getting back into it again. It was just a social T20 competition; the plan was to use the T20 to get some match practice and then go back to my old club and play some real cricket this summer but that didn't happen unfortunately. Hopefully next summer though.

I'm a bit rough around the edges, averaging only 20.I did hit 86 of 55 balls in my first T20 competition though.

Yeah, so was I. That's a pretty decent effort though! My average was 49.17 but it's inflated due to the rules of that particular competition (and having 7 not outs in 13 innings lol). In reality it was probably more around 25-30 if it was played under normal cricket rules. I'm looking to play again this winter, but hopefully this time actually end up back at my old club again for next summer. I would really like to play some longer form cricket again, it suits my game style much better.

I'm a bit rough around the edges, averaging only 20.I did hit 86 of 55 balls in my first T20 competition though.

Well done lads. I played half the 2014/15 season but haven't played any this season.

2 games left, might see if they need a fill in :)

Hey Frosty,

Hope your health is improving and you get the all clear soon. It's pretty tough to go cold turkey, especially when homebrew taste so good these days.

I'm currently on the wagon too: it'll be 1 month this weekend.

Reason:

We're attempting for child #2 (well actually #3 if I count our stillborn, which I really should, sorry mate!)

Apparently hops contain lots of phytoestrogens which may effect the sperm doing its job when it reaches the egg... estrogen doesn't effect the count, but generally drinking alcohol does.

But I know that men drink hoppy beer and still get to have kids, so there is hope yet.

So I've said to SHMBO that I'll stay off the beers until we fall pregnant again. (she suggested I have a break 4 months ago but I ignored her)

Particulars:

Age 33

Height 5'10''

Weight 76kg showing a beer belly (was 90kg 9 years ago)

Walk a fair bit to/from work but sit on my bum all day looking at these silly screens.

Hey Frosty' date='

Hope your health is improving and you get the all clear soon. It's pretty tough to go cold turkey, especially when homebrew taste so good these days.

[/quote']

Thanks cobber. I am surprised at how easy I'm doing it more than anything. I'm thinking all the worrying beforehand was worse.

Friday March the 4th the drought will break but hey who's counting pinched

Best of luck with the new nipper.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Frosty

I am about to go on the wagon for one week. Next Sunday we paly the final round of 50 over cricket and if we win we play finals. So glasses down for the week because I need to be 100% on Sunday. At this point the tought of no being able to have a beer makes me admire your efforts enormously.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Thanks Scottie.

It's not really that difficult to stop and I feel it's more of a habit which is easily broken with some other distraction and a different drink at that time when you get a hankering for a coldie. I've since rediscovered homemade lemonade which is delicious and making good use of our lemon tree

I honestly don't feel any different or better for it.

You'll be fine and best of luck in the Cricket.

Archived