Coopers Community

On the wagon, anyone else done it?

Frosty Chop

I'm going to try and have a break (or at least a major cutdown), until my first batch is ready for drinking. I've been going to Dan's nearly every night for the past 2 weeks and spending $20-$25 on 4 beers and it's just getting out of hand financial wise. I've tried some great beers along the way however.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drank the last of my home brew on Saturday night, & there's no other beer in the house.

I put down a fairly basic, but hopped up Coopers Pale Ale on Friday, so at least a couple of weeks until that's ready.

SWMBO is keen to avoid purchasing any ready made beer so it looks like I'll be more or less on the wagon for another week or so.

That said, SWMBO's on holidays at present, & we're planning on a pub lunch tomorrow; & of course you can't go to the pub without having a drink - otherwise what's the point?!

So it looks like at least a couple of weeks on the wagon, other than a trip to the pub tomorrow.

Meanwhile I'm constantly thinking of what brews to do over the next few months to build stocks again.

Thankfully the infection in the FV seems to be resolved, as the Pale Ale came out looking, smelling & tasting pretty good.

Next brew will be a Blushing Blonde, so I'll have to get another brew going quickly after that, as it may be SWMBO's favourite, but it's not mine.

Yes' date=' by one I mean a schooner size glass (or what you weird Croweaters call a pint for some reason), or a stubby if it's a bottled one. I don't have any 750mL bottles. Occasionally I'll pour a proper pint but that's usually on a Friday night if I'm staying in or whatever. [/quote']

This weird croweater calls them pints and echos

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow my six weeks is up!

I might go to the pub for lunch... nah screw that I've got over 80 litres of beer bottled and another 45 kicking along in the brew fridge.

Think I'll fire up some tunes, the charcoal smoker then eat drink and be merry down in my shed, I can't wait.

w00t

I haven't managed to stay on the wagon at all, but have reduced my drinking a little bit.

I've still only done one brew this year so far, & have been holding back doing another, as I haven't got over the line with getting a brew fridge yet, but am close.

We've had indoor ambient temps of 25c consistently for the past month, outside temps have not gotten any lower than about 22c overnight, & have consistently been above 26c on average for longer than I can remember.

I have a ROTM Pacific Summer Ale pack waiting be be brewed, but have been waiting for the temps to be consistently cooler, as I know my swamp box will struggle to maintain the preferred brewing temps, & I don't want to make a sub par brew.

With all that in mind, though I haven't managed to stay on the wagon, my reduced drinking I'm sure has had some benefit giving my organs a bit of a break, & it's cost me less in beer since I'm not brewing back to back or buying ready made beer, other than a six pack a few weeks ago.

Now I just have to do my homework when it comes to getting a brew fridge.

SWMBO has agreed to it, but we've both decided we'd prefer a new small fridge (perhaps a bar fridge) to accommodate my brewing, fully aware it will cost more, but will be (hopefully) less likely to break down.

All I really have to do from here is figure out which small fridges will still be large enough to fit a Coopers FV, then purchase it, along with a thermal regulator.

The LHBS sells these for $70, so that should be the easiest part.

I was looking at bar fridges too, I took some measurements of my FV and found it wouldn't fit in anything I found on Gumtree after calling people and having them measure their fridge. That step built into the bottom at the back where the compressor is kills the room.

I think if you can manage to find one that is a little taller and has no freezer box in the top you should be right, take your tape measure when you go shopping.

Luckily for me watching and waiting paid off as I found someone desperate to be rid of an old large fridge that was close by and I got it for $25, it also takes my two FV's as a bonus.

I've been there with the swamp cooling and it gets old after while and March has notoriously warm nights so it's even harder to get the temp down, you won't look back after using a fridge it really is a pleasure.

Good luck in finding one.

• 1 month later...

I never used to drink mid-week until I met my missus... she practically drove me to drink.

Haha. Truth be told she works shift-work and usually has her weekends through the week. So she will have a few beers on her "weekend", and when I see this I feel obliged to join.

I'll usually have a beer whilst cooking dinner and another with dinner most nights.

Need to get out of that habit though, as I've developed a good beer belly I need to get rid of before my wedding.

I tried Dry July about 2 years ago and failed at the first weekend. Never tried again.

I want to brew some porters for winter, so I might do that and let it age a little and cut back on the midweek beers until its ready.

Archived