To do ...

King Ruddager

1. Glastonbury ESB

2. Cat's RIPA

3. Dortmunder Export Lager

4. Viking Ale/Lager

5. Dark Lager

6. Marzen/Oktoberfest

So' date=' The Dortmuder Export and the ESB are down and fermenting.

I've been brainstorming on the Dark lager and this is what I've come up with so far.

[u'] Dunkelryezien[/u]

Smoked Rye Dunkel

--------------------------

Boil Size: 49.93 l

Post Boil Volume: 43.68 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l

Bottling Volume: 38.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.048 SG

Estimated Color: 41.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 16.9 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 89.3 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

40.00 l Golden, BC CAN 2014 Water 1 -

3.99 kg Munich Light 10L (Gambrinus) (21.7 EBC) Grain 2 51.9 %

1.00 kg Pale Malt, 2 row (Gambrinus) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 13.0 %

1.00 kg Rye Malt (9.3 EBC) Grain 4 13.0 %

1.00 kg Smoked Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 5 13.0 %

0.45 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 6 5.9 %

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 7 3.3 %

12.00 g Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 8 12.7 IBUs

10.00 g Tettnang [4.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 9 3.4 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -

15.00 g Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 0.9 IBUs

1.0 pkg Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W-34/70) Yeast 12 -

2.11 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 13 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body

Total Grain Weight: 7.69 kg

----------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone made one like this before? Any thoughts?

I made a Julebryg which was stunning. Clear as ummm something clear and soooooo nice - after some time in the fridge.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.19 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 1 68.9 %

1.20 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 19.7 %

0.60 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 3 9.8 %

0.10 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (1398.7 EBC) Grain 4 1.6 %

12.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 16.1 IBUs

30.00 g Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 8.6 IBUs

20.00 g Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 2.7 IBUs

2.00 Items Anise, Star (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 8 -

IJm6G8H.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Well' date=' the last beer brewed at my current place is fermenting (an amber ale) so let's see what will be on the list for when I upgrade to the new brewery ...

1. Hoppy fruit-salad-esque pale (promoted for simplicity as first brew in new environment)

2. Smashing Pumpkins Ale (it's brew that I adore)

3. Nutty dark ale (what specialty grains will achieve this incidentally?)

4. Oktoberfest (same awesome recipe as last time, but with proper lager yeast!!)

Boy oh boy, I sure can't wait to get my hands on another fermenter (or two) for double-brew-days and bulk priming, not to mention a fridge for proper temperature control!![/quote']

Had a change of heart ...

1. Hoppy pale

2. Smashing Pumpkins

3. Oktoberfest

4. Robochoc Porter from recipe section

1. Mosaic Amber Ale

I finally was able to track down some Mosaic hops! I'm looking forward to trying this one' date=' Lusty![img']smile[/img]

I'm really happy to hear you're going to brew a version of it. smile

I know you'll love the hop. Hopefully you'll like the beer just as much. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Oh, oh, oh please Sirs can I join?

1/ Authentic IPA, on the go atm, where the 500g of the spray malt is hopped spray malt.

2/ Marilyn Secret

3/ Little Creatures Pale Ale Clone

4/ An autumn ale of some sort

5/ A crimbo/winter ale

Any idea on the last two, simple as possible, lazy git here :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have a nice jar of WLP006 Bedford British yeast in the fridge, so I am thinking of brewing up a fairly simple but hopefully tasty recipe targeting the low end of the ESB style as follows:

Grain

2kg Simpsons Golden Promise malt (3.5 EBC)

250g JWM Wheat malt (3.5 EBC)

200g Simpsons Medium Crystal malt (150 EBC)

Hops

15g Fuggles @FWH (5.05% AA, 21.7 IBUs)

15g EKG @5mins (5.7% AA, 4.4 IBUs)

15g Styrian Goldings @cube (4.8% AA, 9.4 IBUs)

Stats

Batch size: 11 litres

Efficiency: 70%

OG = 1.048

Bitterness = 35.4 IBUs

Colour = 18.5 EBC

ABV = 5%

How does this sound? I'm thinking it might end up something like a TT Landlord's Ale but a little sweeter with the crystal, plus I am adding the wheat malt for head retention. I calculate cube hops as a 60 minute whirlpool / steep in Beersmith hence the high IBU value for the Styrian Goldings.

Ordered half a pound of Mosaic hops from Yakima Valley the other day, as well as 2 pounds of Czech Saaz and 1 pound of Magnum.

The plan now is to brew a pale ale with the Mosaic hops to try them out, after I do my pilsner recipe. A couple of uncharted territories for me coming up on the next couple of brews. cool

Oh' date=' oh, oh please Sirs can I join?

1/ Authentic IPA, on the go atm, where the 500g of the spray malt is hopped spray malt.

2/ Marilyn Secret

3/ Little Creatures Pale Ale Clone

4/ An autumn ale of some sort

5/ A crimbo/winter ale

Any idea on the last two, simple as possible, lazy git here :)

[/quote']

Hey there 568

How about and English Bitter base for your Autumn Ale and the Coopers English Stout http://www.coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/stout/detail/english-stout/

Other than that number 3 a LCPA Clone will be a beaut if you get the hops half right.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Ordered half a pound of Mosaic hops from Yakima Valley the other day' date=' as well as 2 pounds of Czech Saaz and 1 pound of Magnum.

The plan now is to brew a pale ale with the Mosaic hops to try them out, after I do my pilsner recipe. A couple of uncharted territories for me coming up on the next couple of brews. [img']cool[/img]

Mmmmmm, Mosaic love

You will love it.

Hey Brew Dudes

I'm really needing to do a Stout and time is limited as I'm heading overseas next month.

This will be Darker Shades of Grey dry stout.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Is that the dark end of the 50 shades of grey?

Mmmmmm' date=' Mosaic [img']love[/img]

You will love it.

I have only heard positive reviews on it from the folks on the forum here who have used it, so I am keen to check out what all the fuss is about. cool

I haven't worked out which way I'll use it yet. I will be bittering the batch with Magnum as usual, and probably throw in a late addition around 10 mins plus a dry hop in the FV. Hopefully this schedule will give a good idea of what it brings to the beer.

Got an all Cascade full extract pale ale in bottles now.

Just put last months ROTM Lightning Strike Summer Ale in the FV today.

Next up will either be an IPA or maybe even fruit salad ale (again) as it is just fantastic

• 2 weeks later...

My hops arrived yesterday, which was the approx 900g Czech Saaz, 450g German Magnum, and 225g Mosaic. The AA% on the Saaz was rather exact at 3.03%, which has increased the amount of it in my Pils recipe to 150gw00t. I might be ordering a fair bit more of it given how much I enjoy pilsners...

Anyway, I now have a bit of a conundrum. With the weather starting to cool down, I'm more inclined to brew lagers until it warms up again, so I don't have to tie up the brew fridge to carbonate them like I would with ales. My distiller for the water hasn't arrived yet, and I'm planning a brew day next Saturday. I also have a water experiment planned for my pils recipe, involving one batch brewed with untreated tap water and the other brewed with distilled water with minerals replaced to mimic Pilsen water. I also want to try out the Mosaic hops in a pale ale.

So I have a choice to either brew this Mosaic pale ale, or brew a pilsner with untreated tap water as the first part of this water experiment. In any case, this batch probably won't go into the FV until about June, as I have the pilsner from last Friday's brew day going in next. I think I might just do the pils after all, and make a start on this water experiment, and save the ales for August/September when it is warming up again.

I guess I've solved my own dilemma then lol Pils, pils and more pils is on the to do list!

Cheers

Kelsey

I guess I've solved my own dilemma then lol Pils' date=' pils and more pils is on the to do list![/quote']

Morning Kelsey, sounds like you are set (hop-wise anyway) for 6 batches worth. Can do plenty of experimenting with that! I was listening to the latest Basic Brewing Radio podcast on a similar Pils / water experiment last night, will be interesting to see what the results of your experiment are. Will you filter the tap water or use it straight from the tap?

Yeah for sure, gotta go to Craftbrewer one day next week and pick up the salts, the urquell yeast and a sack of Bohemian oils malt too. I won't be filtering the tap water no, we don't even own a filter. But yeah should be interesting to see any differences that may occur with different water profiles happy

Edit: That would be Bohemian PILS malt, not OILS malt. lol Stupid bloody phone auto correct pinched

Well my plans certainly have changed now that I've got an urn, brewing fridge and multiple fermenters on the horizon!! At the same time though I really want (and ought) to do a RoboChoc porter, which doesn't need any of the fancy equipment - how annoying! So previously I had pumpkin ale, oktoberfest and porter on the list, but now I don't even know. Let's see ...

1. Robochoc porter, because I "need" to

1. Oktoberfest, because I can brew lagers in my fridge now

1. Extract based pumpkin ale, as an intro to "urnification"

1. A simple BIAB recipe

1. That mosaic golden ale that someone mentioned earlier

Get a good book on how to brew All Grain.

I recommend John Palmer How to Brew Hard copy. It's an awesome read!rightful. I just bought it recently and it has help me a lot already.smile

P.S. Once you move to all grain brewing, please don't stop posting here on this forum. I hate it when people do that.annoyed I will still value your advice.wink