Coopers Community

about ourselves

Nick

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Muley you surely would not wnat to live where I do if you don't like the cold

After growing up in Iowa with 20 below probably not Mainiac, I seem to have taken to the warmth quite well. Feels freezing below 70/20 now. You live in a beauty of a state though![smile]

Thought I would do this now since it was bumped. My name is Mick but they call me pickle or Alf & on here I am the Yak. I currently work in the sheetmetal industry, large-scale fabrication, fencing, roofing and rainwater products. I enjoy camping, fishing, fast cars, making my brewing gear out of anything of use to save a penny & love a good drinking session with my wife. I have 2 amazing children who love to help with the brewing process, thats not counted as child slavery is it?[bandit] oh and I'm a novacastrian through & through.

Hey Nick,

What a great idea to BUMP this post! I recently was thinking of doing the samething[biggrin] .

I just re-read a bunch of post from this thread and had a good laugh yet again![cool]

Yers tghere are some characters in these frums im led to believe???[bandit] [biggrin]

[lol]

So you didn't learn anything from Ken Griffey Jnr [rightful]

Even after googling this baseball player I still don't get it. Clearly I am not up to the same chapter as you Hairy [alien]

OK

[lol] [lol] [lol]

More success when combining the two two terms. Should have asked my son, I've never been a big Simpsons' fan

[lol]

So you didn't learn anything from Ken Griffey Jnr [rightful]

Those sideburns are causing me grief with my boss as well.

Oh yeah. I'm a married, 38 year old electrician with 3 rug rats that provide me with no end of entertainment.

My other love is motorcycles - mostly road-bikes but will have a crack at anything.

• 2 months later...

Adam N, adopted by QLD 6 years ago.. Born in 69. Hail from the chilly SE corner of Sth Aust as a snotty nosed apprentice spray painter/panel beater. Completed my trade in Adelaide in the mid 80's where I set upon a mission of drinking my bodyweight in Coopers every weekend..[biggrin] Currently working for a Global Paint & Coatings Company as a Bodyshop Services Consultant. 3 great kids & wifey who understand & help Dad with his favourite Hobby (Obsession)Brewing Beer..! Enjoy the humour & characters of the Guild. Good thread, it's nice to get an insight to what makes us tick.

My wife doesn't like people who drink excessively, but she loves all things science. When I started mentioning things like 'diastatic power', 'saccharification', 'dimethyl-sulfate precursors' and 'yeast cultivation' she started to approve of my hobby far more. [lol]

SWMBO does approve of my obsession. I guess she thinks its better to go missing in the garage for a few hours, and come back into the house with the same amount of money in my pocket, than spend all afternoon in the Pub or TAB.

She even bought me a stir plate from Digital Brewer for my B,Day this week. God love her![biggrin]

G'day guys,

Chris here from Ringwood East in Victoria.

I like beer, wine and (in general) sport. Don't play as much as I used to, but still love watching it - primarily AFL, NRL and basketball from anywhere.

Married, 36, with 2 rug rats (one who loves helping with the bottling of a brew).

Wife approves of the hobby, although taking up room in the laundry with my basic kit isn't on her list of favourite things. Still a relative newbie to this, but have really enjoyed the results I've had so far. Only got 2 brews ready to drink - I'm demonstrating patience with most of the brews I've done, and am trying to wait in excess of 6 weeks before drinking!

My wife knows I need a hobby, and knows I feel the need to do something practical.

She also objected to the fact I would purchase a case of beer at least once a month, so home brewing is the compromise we can both agree with.

I'm saving money, drinking a little less, and enjoying it more, as I know what it takes to make the beer I'm drinking.

As I'm sure is the case with most everyone, I've found my taste and interest leads me towards craft beers; looking for some that tastes different to "mega swill".

No longer when I do go to the pub, on rare occasions do I go for the mega swill.

That said, today's mega swill is still heaps better than what used to be the standard 10 - 20 years ago or more.

I remember when Hahn Premium was a novelty new craft beer, rather than the part of the Tooheys range it has become.

It's still better than a VB, Fosters, or XXXX, and it introduced the Australian drinkers to the fact we can make more complex and flavoursome beers, and that we don't need to be scared of tasting hops in our beer (the old beers generally have bittering but not much flavour or aroma from hops compared to the newer and craft beers IMHO).

I'm a recycled husband, so I have a 13 year old daughter from my previous marriage - whom I hope doesn't turn out TOO much like me (or I'll be worried about teenage pregnancy and other adolescent behaviour parents always worry about).

I live in Chatswood with my current wife, who is very understanding and supportive of my eccentricities, preference for a cold beer, and who also understands the difference between when I don't want to talk, when I need to be alone, or when I want to be joined at the hip - previous wife never seemed to get that about me.

I've recently started up with some bush regeneration groups, weeding and doing my bit to take care of the environment.

I obviously can't save the planet, but it's good to do your bit taking care of your patch.

I'm in a transitional period of my life, having quit a full time job almost a couple of years ago, and contemplating my next move, but enjoying the freedom and spare time while I can.

I'm thankfully not in a hurry to return to full time work, but using my volunteering to add some much needed structure to my life.

Hi all, reading back through most of the posts reveals that we all have beer drinking in common, as well as a few other hobbies and sports, but i think the one outstanding common denominator is an understanding wife or girlfriend.

What would we do with out them???[lol]

We do what I do Nick - whatever we like, whenever we like. [lol]

I have been seeing a girl the past couple of weeks though who is a huge fan of German lagers and wants to come around and sample some and check out a brew day. If it works out then I daresay I'll have a very understanding girlfriend who might even get involved in it herself. And help me consume the brews. [lol]

Archived