Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

Laugh or cry emojis fully expected and accepted! On the left is my husband's glass of Tooheys New. In the middle is a glass with my Coopers Botanical Ale. The head is usually thicker and a darker colour. The taste is rich and delicious. As others have said - I can't make out the juniper berry taste. The sad little pour on the right is my latest Coopers Pale Ale extract, with Amarillo and Mosaic hops added on day 7.  Quite yummy, but not outstanding. The glass on the right is 'borosilicate' glass - not sure if that would make any difference to the pour. And @Classic Brewing Co, I rinsed and paper dried both my glasses before the photo shoot!

20241006_165108[1].jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

Laugh or cry emojis fully expected and accepted! On the left is my husband's glass of Tooheys New. In the middle is a glass with my Coopers Botanical Ale. The head is usually thicker and a darker colour. The taste is rich and delicious. As others have said - I can't make out the juniper berry taste. The sad little pour on the right is my latest Coopers Pale Ale extract, with Amarillo and Mosaic hops added on day 7.  Quite yummy, but not outstanding. The glass on the right is 'borosilicate' glass - not sure if that would make any difference to the pour. And @Classic Brewing Co, I rinsed and paper dried both my glasses before the photo shoot!

20241006_165108[1].jpg

They all look pretty good Jenny, nice clean looking beers. The borosilicate glass should be no different to any other glass as they are used widely in wineries, restaurants & even some cookware, it is a very durable product.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

Guinness AG. It tastes just right, I’m having trouble with the pour, even though I changed the line to a 4m one, with Evoline. 

IMG_4772.jpeg

Hey @stquinto, I’m not experienced in the use of nitrogen mix gas (at least I guess that’s what ya usin for your stouts), or if you have a flow controlled tap, but I know you need a 3 meter long beer line to slow the pour down correctly for CO2 feed lines.

My guess is that you already know all of that cobber, but thought I’d share just in case 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jennyss said:

20241006_165108[1].jpg

All look great beers Jenny @jennyss, particularly the one sitting centre - the Coopers Botanical ale, outstanding!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jennyss said:

20241006_165108[1].jpg

they all look nice sessional extracts 

left one and centre one both have nice heads , but i will say the one in the centre  the head isnt as tight as it should be but they maybe just from the pour it self.

The one in the borosilicate' glass   can make a bit of difference to me  as i honestly dont feel they would hold to much  of a head  and may give of  taste like plastic can ,  but  as long as there beer is good then all ok     

good stuff jenny

• Like 3

On 10/7/2024 at 6:38 AM, jennyss said:

Laugh or cry emojis fully expected and accepted! On the left is my husband's glass of Tooheys New.

Mmm... not sure on the timing... but maybe pour the TN first.... and the others last prior to the photo ; )

And then - the only thing - is the old - use more liquid malt-  AS WELL AS - for example some Coopers Liquid Malt - and especially Wheat Malt - and see how things go from there 👍

(not instead of - but as well as - get some of those creamy mouthfeel and heat and head retention grain proteins in there - and especially with Rye and Wheat which are higher protein)

And even consider - maybe - a Stove-Top Mash of Milled Malted Grain - lots of festive Brewers are getting great results that way as well : )

Edited by Pezzza
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

Mmm... not sure on the timing... but maybe pour the TN first.... and the others last prior to the photo ; )

And then - the only thing - is the old - use more liquid malt-  AS WELL AS - for example some Coopers Liquid Malt - and especially Wheat Malt - and see how things go from there 👍

(not instead of - but as well as - get some of those creamy mouthfeel and heat and head retention grain proteins in there - and especially with Rye and Wheat which are higher protein)

And even consider - maybe - a Stove-Top Mash of Milled Malted Grain - lots of festive Brewers are getting great results that way as well : )

Some great feedback there @Pezzza 👏
It doesn't have to be fancy to start with that's for sure.
As a Kit n bits brewer I will steep grains in about 2 litres of water for 24 hours over night (in muslin bags because I don't want to deal straining any wort) and boil that sweetwater on our kitchen gas cooktop adding hops, and additional malt as called for by the recipe. Makes a big difference to taste, mouthfeel and head retention - hands down an absolute improvement. ✅

I also ventured out a little further recently completing my first partial mash (I really thought I'd never do this, as I was happy with my kit n bits brewin'), anyway, I (again) just used my gas stove top for heat, a 15Lt cooler jug from Kmart ($29) to mash my grains in, muslin bags (25 x 30cm - 5 off for $9.95 from Ebay) to hold my grains in (no straining required) and a 19Lt stainless steel pot ($39 again from Kmart) to boil the wort and it worked an absolute treat.  It wasn't a chore at all, and really didn't make that much of a difference to my typical "Brew Day" (still chillaxed at the end of it all 😉).

As previously posted, after just one partial mash, I think I have seen the light (tasted 😋) and found my way forward in homebrewing. 🥳

For anyone reading this post that thinks, "Yeah, Nar, messin' with grains and stuff is not for me" - give it a shot, even if you just start with steeping grains to add to your kit n kilo brew. I promise the partial mash step beyond that will change the way you brew forever 🍺🍺 🍺 🍺

PartialMash.thumb.jpg.1a6e1e81dc3f28800d3c3ca1477fa925.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Triple B Brewing said:

----

For anyone reading this post that thinks, "Yeah, Nar, messin' with grains and stuff is not for me" - give it a shot, even if you just start with steeping grains to add to your kit n kilo brew. I promise the partial mash step beyond that will change the way you brew forever 🍺🍺 🍺 🍺

Really nice stuff @Triple B Brewing really cool Cobber!

Lovely lovely and yeah I sorta think the best thing is just to try a few different configs of Coopers Tins Concs and then adjuncts then maybe Dex and or Dry Malt and then an Extra Can of Liquid Malt and then maybe then a Stove-Top Steep.. and yeah.... just see what works for you : )

I am a big believer in 23 L Coopers Fermenter:

1 Tin of Coopers Brew Conc of your Choice

PLUS

1 Tin of Coopers Liquid Malt: light amber dark or wheat you choose

PLUS

1 kilo of BE2

And then brew at 18 degrees 

Irrelevant of what Coopers Kit it may be...

Then either gas in keg - or secondary ferment in crown cap Coopers Glass bottle with coopers lollies for 3 weeks at 18 deg C plus.

And then - yeah - chill for 2-3 weeks after that - in bottles - around 4 deg or less... 

or Keg on Up and drink when it suits - but knowing that chilled in keg cold under pressure -  6 weeks later it will probably be better - like the bottles ; )

But hey - be happy to be corrected

Cheers

Pezzz

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sbrewingcompany said:

DIY Brewing Blether is a casual, community-driven conversation about homebrewing, sharing tips, recipes, and experiences with fellow brewers.

Bot hacker?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

As a Kit n bits brewer I will steep grains in about 2 litres of water for 24 hours over night (in muslin bags because I don't want to deal straining any wort) and boil that sweetwater on our kitchen gas cooktop adding hops, and additional malt as called for by the recipe. Makes a big difference to taste, mouthfeel and head retention - hands down an absolute improvement. ✅

I also ventured out a little further recently completing my first partial mash (I really thought I'd never do this, as I was happy with my kit n bits brewin'), anyway, I (again) just used my gas stove top for heat, a 15Lt cooler jug from Kmart ($29) to mash my grains in, muslin bags (25 x 30cm - 5 off for $9.95 from Ebay) to hold my grains in (no straining required) and a 19Lt stainless steel pot ($39 again from Kmart) to boil the wort and it worked an absolute treat.  It wasn't a chore at all, and really didn't make that much of a difference to my typical "Brew Day" (still chillaxed at the end of it all 😉).

As previously posted, after just one partial mash, I think I have seen the light (tasted 😋) and found my way forward in homebrewing. 🥳

Thanks for the report and photos @Triple B Brewing

• Like 2

A big plus for the Kit and Bits brews. 

My routine is to steep the grains hot (68deg) for 40 minutes while I bottle a brew.

Then complete the brew, which takes about an hour, total.

Very happy with the results.

(Yes, I'm sure all-grain brewing is better, but it's not for me)

IMG_20240421_151619.thumb.jpg.608e8fce0a22e1e670d506262174a118.jpg

• Like 13

12 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Yes, I agree that the steeping of grains greatly assist the k & k brews, but there is nothing like the real thing - AG.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

My routine is to steep the grains hot (68deg) for 40 minutes while I bottle a brew.

Nice pic your beers always display a nice head and excellent carbonation 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm with you, David. I'm have all grain curiosity but not enough to warrant the effort. That's a flaw in me and not a swipe at all grain brewing.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

On 10/7/2024 at 6:08 AM, jennyss said:

20241006_165108[1].jpg

This has a Goldilocks/3 bears ring to it. 😄 
@jennyss Is the Tooheys the actual Tooheys product or a clone you've made? It looks pretty good. So bravo to you if you made it and, well, Tooheys have been making beer for a long time so for the price we pay it should look good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

WOW - Just WOW @DavidM🤩 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes, I agree that the steeping of grains greatly assist the k & k brews, but there is nothing like the real thing - AG.

I think that AG is great -- and it is what I am doing currently -- but the game is not so simple.

(And I do like the Coopers 25kg bags of Malted Grain which are a beautiful thing 👍)

There are many many ways to get really great results via KnB.

Look at the below Coopers KnB Pearlers for example - all Beautiful Beautiful Coopers KnB Products : )

Great flavours, textures, body, head and head retention.... all via Coopers KnB and a few smarts in the Brewery.

Mine in the Middle from back in October 2018 : )

image.thumb.png.a4204e8e1d567548811a680802736afe.png

And I know many good Brewers who do a bit of both because AG is time consuming and they pop in a few Keg Fillers with some lovely lovely Coopers KnBs... and also utilise the festive Coopers ROTM to try out new things - which makes great beer - and then also provides inspiration for their own AGs.

So well done Coopers for making great products that allow many Brewers to make great Bier from Kits and Bits  🥳

Cheers All and Good Brewing! 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Just Gorgeous DM - beautiful creamy top and what an array of magnificent tiny bubbles!!! 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

I think that AG is great -- and it is what I am doing currently -- but the game is not so simple.

(And I do like the Coopers 25kg bags of Malted Grain which are a beautiful thing 👍)

There are many many ways to get really great results via KnB.

Look at the below Coopers KnB Pearlers for example - all Beautiful Beautiful Coopers KnB Products : )

Great flavours, textures, body, head and head retention.... all via Coopers KnB and a few smarts in the Brewery.

Mine in the Middle from back in October 2018 : )

image.thumb.png.a4204e8e1d567548811a680802736afe.png

And I know many good Brewers who do a bit of both because AG is time consuming and they pop in a few Keg Fillers with some lovely lovely Coopers KnBs... and also utilise the festive Coopers ROTM to try out new things - which makes great beer - and then also provides inspiration for their own AGs.

So well done Coopers for making great products that allow many Brewers to make great Bier from Kits and Bits  🥳

Cheers All and Good Brewing! 

Oh yeah, I don't disagree with that, I still do k & k for convenience & even get a keg filled now & again, mainly for instant brew 😉 AG takes more time but it is also rewarding.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Beerdo said:

This has a Goldilocks/3 bears ring to it. 😄 
@jennyss Is the Tooheys the actual Tooheys product or a clone you've made? It looks pretty good. So bravo to you if you made it and, well, Tooheys have been making beer for a long time so for the price we pay it should look good.

@BeerdoNo it's the actual Tooheys New. My husband usually has a supplementary carton of Tooheys New kicking around. We have been making Woolworths brand Lager extract to get near his preferred drop. The head is pretty impressive I admit! The three beers do look like they belong to the  three bears - very funny! Now I'm thinking what Goldilocks would say when she tried the three beers! I think she would like the Botanical Ale the best.

What are you brewing or drinking ATM?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I'm going to start brewing again in the very near future, but I'll be a simple kit brewer with fresh grains, as I'm time poor until I retire....which is around four and a bit years away. I'll bottle too as I know the beers will be beautiful.

Then no doubt I'll get back into all grain brewing when I'm retired. Plenty of time up my sleeve then.

So for now its going to be a Coopers can, some freshly crushed grain, good yeast and a good dry hop. I'm really looking forward to getting back into it. The weekends that are a blow out and I cant fish, I'll brew.

• Like 11