Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

39 minutes ago, John304 said:

Tried these from kangaroo island brewery this afternoon, the amber was slightly better than the pale lager, tbh I have had better,

IMG_2106.jpeg

IMG_2101.jpeg

I wonder if that has anything to do with the potential use of desalinated water at the brewery - just a guess 🤔

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

I wonder if that has anything to do with the potential use of desalinated water at the brewery - just a guess 🤔

No, I don't think so. A few years we had a beer festival up here in Brissy, I think it was called "Kindom of Beer", where brewers were showcasing beers made with desalinated water. Besides Ballistic's "Water me Lawn", which is a watermelon gose, no beers had any salty flavours because of the water. All that is left after the desalination process is pure water. Sustainability is key these days and in the face of droughts and all, we need to get a little more creative. After all, we're girt by sea 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

No, I don't think so. A few years we had a beer festival up here in Brissy, I think it was called "Kindom of Beer", where brewers were showcasing beers made with desalinated water. Besides Ballistic's "Water me Lawn", which is a watermelon gose, no beers had any salty flavours because of the water. All that is left after the desalination process is pure water. Sustainability is key these days and in the face of droughts and all, we need to get a little more creative. After all, we're girt by sea 🙂 

Yep, appreciate the need for us to now have to use desalinated water for our potable water me ‘ol china plate. I sure am thankful we don’t have to yet here in Busso, but I get it. 
My thought behind my comment was once water has been through a Reverse Osmosis treatment, there is virtually nothing left - Eg; all minerals are stripped, so the water’s chemistry changes, which as we know impacts on the end outcome of a brew. 
Having said all that, we also know the additives we need to correct water chemistry to achieve the desired outcome for a specific type of brew. (Crickey, I think I have just answered my own question 🤓 😉)

Cheers ! 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Yep, appreciate the need for us to now have to use desalinated water for our potable water me ‘ol china plate. I sure am thankful we don’t have to yet here in Busso, but I get it. 
My thought behind my comment was once water has been through a Reverse Osmosis treatment, there is virtually nothing left - Eg; all minerals are stripped, so the water’s chemistry changes, which as we know impacts on the end outcome of a brew. 
Having said all that, we also know the additives we need to correct water chemistry to achieve the desired outcome for a specific type of brew. (Crickey, I think I have just answered my own question 🤓 😉)

Cheers ! 🍺🍺🍺🍺

Put a bit more water with it 🤣TB. 

• Haha 4

Another swap n go extract brew -"if ya like Balter XPA" and an attempted Stone and Wood clone.

The Balter is close but no cigar. Hop fade is really evident as this is now 6 weeks in the keg. Stone and Wood clone is not so close, and again the hop fade is really noticeable. These beers are all quite good I have to say.

461283207_1047466876859977_8541215919897431039_n.jpg

460932433_3715716988667496_3754300033661776206_n.jpg

Edited by Tricky Micky
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Hazy Gold.  Hazy because of the wheat I used in the recipe and, no cold-crash!  Pilsner malt, Nelson and Motueka make for a tasty brew!

HazyGold_Oct1-2024.jpg

@BlackSands mate that is a cracker of a photo there cobber - shows the brew off beautifully - I love the sound of it and can taste it by just lookin' at it (I wish) 👏 👏

• Like 1

So after just two days in the keg, I just had to have a sneaky taster of my long awaited first partial mash brew - a slightly modified, Nelson's Light (came in at 3.7 ABV) and I gotta say - WOO-FRIGGIN'-HOO 🥳 I think I have just found a new love ! 🥰 💞 😋
NELSON'S LIGHT - With A Partial Mash - Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend.pdf
So while this is not my all time repeat recipe (Just needs more hops, both bittering and dry hoped I reckon for my taste buds), but man I can certainly see the potential this process brings - WONDERFUL , JUST DELIGHTFUL !!

A special note of thanks to:

@Pale Man for starting that specific thread Partial Mashing With A Coopers Can to encourage people like me (a kit 'n bit brewer) to have a crack at it,

@Tone boy for his initial post of his first partial mash, (the visuals of his simple, yet effective set up clinched it for me) and;

@ChristinaS1 for the wonderful clarity provided in the simple detail on the nuts and bolts of partial mash brewing (if you are still getting these notifications, I wish you all the best 🥇)

OK (a drum roll pwease .......), so here's she is (Now sure, sure, I'm no @Pezzza or @BlackSands behind a (phone) camera) and it could do with some more settle time, but besides all that)

TARDDA !!

NelsonsLight.thumb.jpg.48d335abae089461fed9d0414be09be0.jpg

Can't wait to taste it after a couple of weeks aging in the keg and then the next partial mash cab of the rank is a ZEPHYR LIGHT 
ZEPHYR LIGHT With A Partial Mash - 3.3 ABV.pdf at the end of this month.

Followed (in the months to come), by a mashed up:

1. CZECH PILS
  2. COOPERS SPARKLING ALE
  3. COOPERS PALE ALE
  4. (ChristinaS) "Kitchen Sink" Australian Pale Ale
  5. Greeny's Quaffer

One very happy camper right here 😉 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺

200w.gif.0aea78de25f458df876543cdf5276eba.gif

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

17 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Bit of a stone and wood clone. Pale ale kit. Some rolled wheat mashed with pilsner, some dried oat malt extract, all the galaxy. V yum!

IMG_5467.thumb.jpeg.a9e0a9250704abacbfc667b78fad38b6.jpeg

That looks incredibly delish Toner, beautiful color too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Bit of a stone and wood clone. Pale ale kit. Some rolled wheat mashed with pilsner, some dried oat malt extract, all the galaxy. V yum!

IMG_5467.thumb.jpeg.a9e0a9250704abacbfc667b78fad38b6.jpeg

Lovely colour tone boy,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

So after just two days in the keg, I just had to have a sneaky taster of my long awaited first partial mash brew - a slightly modified, Nelson's Light (came in at 3.7 ABV) and I gotta say - WOO-FRIGGIN'-HOO 🥳 I think I have just found a new love ! 🥰 💞 😋
So while this is not my all time repeat recipe (Just needs more hops, both bittering and dry hoped I reckon for my taste buds), but man I can certainly see the potential this process brings - WONDERFUL , JUST DELIGHTFUL !!

@Pale Man for starting that specific thread Partial Mashing With A Coopers Can to encourage people like me (a kit 'n bit brewer) to have a crack at it,

@Tone boy for his initial post of his first partial mash, (the visuals of his simple, yet effective set up clinched it for me) and;

@ChristinaS1 for the wonderful clarity provided in the simple detail on the nuts and bolts of partial mash brewing (if you are still getting these notifications, I wish you all the best 🥇)

OK (a drum roll pwease .......), so here's she is (Now sure, sure, I'm no @Pezzza or @BlackSands behind a (phone) camera) and it could do with some more settle time, but besides all that)

TARDDA !!

Can't wait to taste it after a couple of weeks aging in the keg and then the next partial mash cab of the rank is a ZEPHYR LIGHT 

1. CZECH PILS
  2. COOPERS SPARKLING ALE
  3. COOPERS PALE ALE
  5. Greeny's Quaffer

Awesome stuff Triple B! Glad to see another brewer enjoying the benefits of a partial mash. 
I hardly do a brew these days without a partial mash of some sort. A great way to include those specialty grains into a brew 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My first try of an AG Copa. Only 12 days in the bottle it had already nice carbonation a great body and mouthfeel. Lacking a bit of flavour, probably because instead of a 20 minute hopstand at 75 degrees I did it straight at the end of the boil. Apparently the higher temperature extracts the bitterness of the hops and not flavours and aromas. So I got a double dose of Pride of Ringwood. Now I know what not to do next time. Still prefer it over the Zytho I had before 

IMG_1777.jpeg

• Like 12

Coopers Sparkling AG. I got two 31 litres which I split between two cornies. I got stuck in but then decided to fill one cornie fully and put the rest into a 10 l keg. It was worth the wait ( I got side-tracked on a Kölch). 
I do like PoR hops, which is handy, as I still have about 700g from a kilo I had sent over from your neck of the woods 🤣

Fortunately they’ve been in the freezer ever since

IMG_4717.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

On 10/3/2024 at 8:00 PM, Triple B Brewing said:

TARDDA !!

1. CZECH PILS
  2. COOPERS SPARKLING ALE
  3. COOPERS PALE ALE
  5. Greeny's Quaffer

Excellent fella. One step away from all grain brewing. I must admit, fresh grains with a can really does step up your brews a notch.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Excellent fella. One step away from all grain brewing. I must admit, fresh grains with a can really does step up your brews a notch.

Yep I certainly can taste that cobber😋

I’m definitely lookin forward to tryin what different gains will bring to the party and no doubt including a can of hopped extract next time will fill out that experience while I’m experimenting with partial mashing 🤓

Thanks again for your inspirational post 👏🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 6

On 10/3/2024 at 8:30 PM, Triple B Brewing said:

Blaardy byordiful work TB mate @Triple B Brewing - and yeah @Pale Man and @Tone boy Toner ; )

And a nice shout-out to the good Brewers and including @ChristinaS1 that I would echo - even if not received - still Christina deserves big accolades - helped me plenty in my BBJ (Beautiful Brewing Journey).

Cheers All : )

Edited by Pezzza
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1