Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

9 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Cheap Charlie had you used dry enzyme in the beer or the brew before it? is the hydrometer correct?

Very low for Nottingham usually around 1.004 to 5 are lowest i have seen

I have never used Nottingham before and was quite surprised at the result. No dry enzyme, only fine milled grain in a very thin mash of 30L with a 4L sparge @ 65º.  As usual Lallemand destroys the sugars in no time. I didn't measure it with the hydrometer, only used the numbers from the rapt pill. So they may be wrong as the pill usually has some crud on top. I never take the rapt pill numbers as gospel, but in previous brews they have been fairly close when compared to the hydrometer. I mainly use it as an indicator of when the ferment has finished so I don't have to keep disturbing the brew every couple of days. The brew is very dry, so I'm guessing the numbers are close.

I also have going a can of Coopers Pale Ale and a can of wheat malt I pitched on the cake from that brew. The results are completely different - it has taken 2 weeks for the wort to get to 1.023. I'm not sure whether to leave it go at 12º or raise the temperature.

Edited by Cheap Charlie
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looks lovely, Chuck.

Planning another myself in a few brews time.  Harvested some Coopers Commercial Ale yeast from the Botanic Ale I did a couple of weeks ago.

Got some Coopers yeast culturing on the counter myself after knocking off a carton of the good stuff! 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I have never used Nottingham before and was quite surprised at the result. No dry enzyme, only fine milled grain in a very thin mash of 30L with a 4L sparge @ 65º.  As usual Lallemand destroys the sugars in no time. I didn't measure it with the hydrometer, only used the numbers from the rapt pill. So they may be wrong as the pill usually has some crud on top. I never take the rapt pill numbers as gospel, but in previous brews they have been fairly close when compared to the hydrometer. I mainly use it as an indicator of when the ferment has finished so I don't have to keep disturbing the brew every couple of days. The brew is very dry, so I'm guessing the numbers are close.

I also have going a can of Coopers Pale Ale and a can of wheat malt I pitched on the cake from that brew. The results are completely different - it has taken 2 weeks for the wort to get to 1.023. I'm not sure whether to leave it go at 12º or raise the temperature.

Nottingham yeast is very versatile & is pretty much neutral making it suitable for many beer styles.

It has excellent attenuation & good flocculation; I have used it many times & found it is very fast & delivers some nice flavours.

• Like 3

Last of the laaarvely laaarvely Swissssss Larger S-189 just byordiful 👍

Would recommend trying the S-189 very nice yeast - the fruitiness has abated a bit as been in keg for a bit. 

Unfortunately way too dark for the Fence Post ; )

image.thumb.png.bb21b2efb861417814ae6bfb080bf27c.png

• Like 9

And then the next day ; )

Black Bier

Same Brew as that previous Creamy Nitro fella - but here - Carboffski CO2 - the flavours come through much stronger - really chokki wokki doodah here… very nice……

the lovely creamy Nitro version (all gone) was yes very nice : )

But Nitro really is for me more of a textural experience 👍

image.thumb.png.a48fd6df0112a836477953f7a015e945.png

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Pezzza said:

And then the next day ; )

Black Bier

Same Brew as that previous Creamy Nitro fella - but here - Carboffski CO2 - the flavours come through much stronger - really chokki wokki doodah here… very nice……

the lovely creamy Nitro version (all gone) was yes very nice : )

But Nitro really is for me more of a textural experience 👍

image.thumb.png.a48fd6df0112a836477953f7a015e945.png

Looks magnificent mate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

I mean seriously - if this is what people think of my beers and my pictures I might as well not bother posting on this forum anymore👍

Your pics are excellent fella, keep on posting.

• Like 3

On 6/22/2024 at 6:35 PM, Pezzza said:

Last of the laaarvely laaarvely Swissssss Larger S-189 just byordiful 👍

Would recommend trying the S-189 very nice yeast - the fruitiness has abated a bit as been in keg for a bit. 

Unfortunately way too dark for the Fence Post ; )

image.thumb.png.bb21b2efb861417814ae6bfb080bf27c.png

Yeah I recently used S189 after a lot of years. Probably 5 or 6 years at least. Used it in a partial with a dark ale tin and a 2kg pilsener mash. It's come out fantastic. Very clean yeast and letting the dark flavours shine. Kept some slurry and going to make an all grain schwarzbier shortly with it.

• Like 4

@Pezzza probably a case of me being a bit full and thinking everyone automatically understands what you mean. 

Bad choice of words my apologies. I meant posting the beer from the night before too dark for fence post and then the next day with fence post. 

Guess in a funny way I was trying to say that they were beers from the same day.

Nothing bad intended in comments and looking at it today does not make alot of sense. 

After my own beers yesterday seemed funny and made sense to me. I don't come on much anymore mate. 

Keep posting and apologies for bad choice of words. I can see how you misunderstood reading it myself now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Pezzza probably a case of me being a bit full and thinking everyone automatically understands what you mean. 

Bad choice of words my apologies. I meant posting the beer from the night before too dark for fence post and then the next day with fence post. 

Guess in a funny way I was trying to say that they were beers from the same day.

Nothing bad intended in comments and looking at it today does not make alot of sense. 

After my own beers yesterday seemed funny and made sense to me. I don't come on much anymore mate. 

Keep posting and apologies for bad choice of words. I can see how you misunderstood reading it myself now.

Thanks UoB 

Appreciate the explanation

And maybe I was a bit touchy at the time too

I do put in a bit of time and effort in me postings and unfortunately do not have an endless supply of different glasses to show that it is truly  a different brew or even same brew but a different day...  and these days mostly do double brews with then different yeasts or same yeast and different gas... so could be confusing too

Anyway thanks Cobber and no hard feelings @Uhtred Of Beddanburg... time to move on

And I might delete those posts of mine too as we have moved on from that

Good on you mate, all the best, and good brewing to All

👍

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Yeah I recently used S189 after a lot of years. Probably 5 or 6 years at least. Used it in a partial with a dark ale tin and a 2kg pilsener mash. It's come out fantastic. Very clean yeast and letting the dark flavours shine. Kept some slurry and going to make an all grain schwarzbier shortly with it.

Cool @Greenyinthewestofsydney yeah that Partial sounds lovely and good luck with the AG Schwarzy 👍

• Like 2

Hey there All... and thanks for helping make this good site continue to work well and cheers @Uhtred Of Beddanburg

So the below shots are in honour of a good Community and Site thanks Coopers and for the many festive Brewers on here making it all work:

image.thumb.png.312ef6d23c076d32214a9d58fae3c780.png

The Pilly (that did not quite make an appearance yesterday now all resolved thanks all) on CO2 on LHS and then the very same Brew - both the very same as they are out of the double 45L AG Batch - but in the Nitro Keg (like Boddingtons Bitter, Caffery's, Kilkenny etc) with a different texture and drinking experience.  The Nitro RHS is currently a bit like a cask-pumped-Real-Ale texture and in my mind needs a bit more gas ; )  In Keg very recently. 

Both - same Brew - but really quite different experience - are both pretty reasonable Biers - Cheers Brewers 👍

• Like 11

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Coopers Stout

IMG_20240624_192614.thumb.jpg.5b064fdb28ac72ed54518d45a9abce77.jpg

IMG_20240624_194422.thumb.jpg.2d63fd8b011c6179d01fba6c17a34b67.jpg

Very Easy to Drink!

Wow Yumm @DavidM ; )

Probably was one of the very first brews I did in about 1990 ; )

With Double-Distilled Water in a controlled Temp Room in a Lab where I was located - after a Mate who was heading back to Ozzlie Dozzzlie said hey do you want these Coopers Tins and the gear and have a crack... and there yer go a few years years later I am still at it ; )

Thanks Coopers!

• Like 6

image.thumb.png.53a0a09752ef5b1bfdb3b8aab2046ef9.png

Still a bit flaccid the Nitro... that 48 at 40 w Nitro Mix - will go another belt...

As @Red devil 44 Red our Community Super Coach on Gas and Gear said to me a while back - Nitrogen is a "Lazy Gas" and takes quite a while to go into solution.  What is interesting is there seems to be some difference - at least in Frothy Top generation with Black Beer far more readily creating a creamy top than the Pale ones...  

Be interested to read what other Brewers think re difference between the darker brews and pale ones and creamy tops, head, head retention etc 👍

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Pezzza said:

image.thumb.png.53a0a09752ef5b1bfdb3b8aab2046ef9.png

Still a bit flaccid the Nitro... that 48 at 40 w Nitro Mix - will go another belt...

As @Red devil 44 Red our Community Super Coach on Gas and Gear said to me a while back - Nitrogen is a "Lazy Gas" and takes quite a while to go into solution.  What is interesting is there seems to be some difference - at least in Frothy Top generation with Black Beer far more readily creating a creamy top than the Pale ones...  

Be interested to read what other Brewers think re difference between the darker brews and pale ones and creamy tops, head, head retention etc 👍

Not a big fan of nitro at all. It’s a nice creamy texture, but for me the beer is flat. If you ever go to Indonesia, probably Bali, as in Java I didn’t see any alcohol, try Guinness Smooth, a beautiful carbonated beer without any nitro 

• Like 3