Coopers Community

Show us ya BBQ

Tricky Micky

On 2/21/2024 at 8:53 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

In case you have not seen it.ย  Watch at least until 2:22.

But I say, yes to pineapple on pizza.ย ๐Ÿ˜„

Did you catch them when they toured in 2015 Shamus? I saw them at Fowlers in Adelaide. Great show! Cheers, Frank.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Burger with the lot

I'd like to see that @Classic Brewing Co!

This morning I couldn't buy any form of tinned beetroot. There is a widespread shortage of tinned beetroot due to a crop wipe-out in New Zealand I have read. But you can still buy fresh beetroot. I can't work that out. I bought one beetroot this morning and will boil it before slicing, pickling and putting it on my pizza with the lot.

@iBooz2, I'll put my photo in 'What's on the Menu'.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jennyss said:

This morning I couldn't buy any form of tinned beetroot. There is a widespread shortage of tinned beetroot due to a crop wipe-out in New Zealand I have read. But you can still buy fresh beetroot. I can't work that out. I bought one beetroot this morning and will boil it before slicing, pickling and putting it on my pizza with the lot.

Yeah, no beetroot anywhere, Coles sell the fresh so that's probably better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jennyss said:

I think that 1 of the main reasons that you can get fresh beetroot but not canned beetroot, is that Golden Circle shut its Brisbane cannery some years ago and moved it to New Zealand. New Zealand then had a cyclone destroy their beetroot farms. We still grow beetroot in Australia but there are few canneries left to process it here, hence you can get fresh beetroot but canned beetroot is very scarce. I see Chinese grown and processed tinned beetroot in some supermarkets, but in my opinion it is nowhere near as good as Australian beetroot. I managed to get some Three Threes Australian baby beets in glass this week, much better than the Chinese stuff.

Sad state of affairs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Did you catch them when they toured in 2015 Shamus? I saw them at Fowlers in Adelaide. Great show! Cheers, Frank.

Hi Frank, Unfortunately I have never caught them.ย  I was put onto them by a mate with more diverse musical tastes.ย  From memory he heard about them from his kids.ย ๐Ÿคช

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I think that 1 of the main reasons that you can get fresh beetroot but not canned beetroot, is that Golden Circle shut its Brisbane cannery some years ago and moved it to New Zealand. New Zealand then had a cyclone destroy their beetroot farms. We still grow beetroot in Australia but there are few canneries left to process it here, hence you can get fresh beetroot but canned beetroot is very scarce. I see Chinese grown and processed tinned beetroot in some supermarkets, but in my opinion it is nowhere near as good as Australian beetroot. I managed to get some Three Threes Australian baby beets in glass this week, much better than the Chinese stuff.

Sad state of affairs.

Yeah, our coles have just stocked the shelves with a Chinese brand tinned beetroot - tried it - Not a pinch on the Aussie stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to start a new thread called Everything Smokin' but this thread will do OK.ย 

Ever since I made a little choofer BBQ for camping out of an old 8.5 Kg gas bottle I have wanted something bigger to make an off-set smoker out of.ย  Well I have scored a bigger 20 Kg bottle and some more 8.5 kg ones and been looking at designs.ย  I want a horizontal one that is big enough to do a leg of ham or a brisket and a couple of chickens but not too big to handle.ย  The smaller 8.5 kg bottle will be the fire box and the larger bottle will be the smoking chamber.ย  I need to cut and weld them together and put some legs on plus smoke sealing doors.ย  This project has been sitting on my back burner (pun) for a while now as I have been venting the gas bottles (taps & valves removed) for ages an filling them with water over and over, repeat, repeat so I don't blow myself up when I hit them with the angle grinder. Plan is to build mine over the winter months.

Just noticed this guys smoker on the ABC justin news.ย  Mine will be nothing like his monster.

ย 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I have been venting the gas bottles (taps & valves removed) for ages an filling them with water over and over, repeat, repeat so I don't blow myself up when I hit them with the angle grinder.

Hey @iBooz2

Given the bottle you intend to cut has only ever had LPG Gas stored in it, there should not be any residual flammable residues remaining once properly emptied, so as long as you have been able to completely fill the empty LPG Gas bottle with water, you should be fine to cut into it with a grinder and cut off disc. ๐Ÿซฃ๐Ÿ˜‚
Iโ€™m sure you have already seen the multitude of YouTube videos on this subject, but this one is short n sweet โ€œHow to decommission a propane bottle safelyโ€
Sounds like a cool project, hoping to see some pics when sheโ€™s done ๐Ÿง

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Hey @iBooz2

Given the bottle you intend to cut has only ever had LPG Gas stored in it, there should not be any residual flammable residues remaining once properly emptied, so as long as you have been able to completely fill the empty LPG Gas bottle with water, you should be fine to cut into it with a grinder and cut off disc. ๐Ÿซฃ๐Ÿ˜‚
Iโ€™m sure you have already seen the multitude of YouTube videos on this subject, but this one is short n sweet โ€œHow to decommission a propane bottle safelyโ€
Sounds like a cool project, hoping to see some pics when sheโ€™s done ๐Ÿง

Thanks @Triple B Brewingย but yeah have done this several times for mates over the years but never did one for myself until last year.

The LPG seems to leech out of the metal even after being upside down and compressed air pumped inside them to force ventilate them after the valve assembly is removed and even still after one fill of water.ย  I had one go woof once when I hit it with a thin kerf cut-off wheel, luckily it just went woof and not boom.ย  So now I fill them a few times over and also make the first cut whilst they are still full of water now that I have a DC brushless angle grinder so no risk of electrocution and of course a big bang.ย ย 

Mine is perfect as I have customised it for my Hillbilly camp oven, cast iron roast spud pan, my wok and also not long ago I, bought a no-stick Webber grill for it so as to reverse sear my steaks.ย  I have also used it as a smoker to do some snags.

Choofer pic 1.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Thanks @Triple B Brewingย but yeah have done this several times for mates over the years but never did one for myself until last year.

The LPG seems to leech out of the metal even after being upside down and compressed air pumped inside them to force ventilate them after the valve assembly is removed and even still after one fill of water.ย  I had one go woof once when I hit it with a thin kerf cut-off wheel, luckily it just went woof and not boom.ย  So now I fill them a few times over and also make the first cut whilst they are still full of water now that I have a DC brushless angle grinder so no risk of electrocution and of course a big bang.ย ย 

Mine is perfect as I have customised it for my Hillbilly camp oven, cast iron roast spud pan, my wok and also not long ago I, bought a no-stick Webber grill for it so as to reverse sear my steaks.ย  I have also used it as a smoker to do some snags.

Choofer pic 1.jpg

Mate that is very nicely done - I reckon that'd cook up some super dooper snags, a couple a tatters in the coals and a steak or two seared to perfection in no time at all (well in just enough time for a cold one or two appetisers anyway ehย ๐Ÿบย ๐Ÿบย ๐Ÿ˜‰ย )

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 5:13 PM, iBooz2 said:

Choofer pic 1.jpg

Looks perfect @iBooz2 Al, what a ripper mate.

This is my BBQ. It is a little filthy because I have been cutting concrete yesterday. It's big enough for two, at a pinch 4 people if they aren't too hungry ๐Ÿ™‚ย It's all I need as I do not host big BBQs. Why? Because I suck at grilling/barbequing. I stick with cooking in the kitchen and brewing beer. BBQs aren't for me ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

image.thumb.jpeg.00585d2a6bb962641cd9a6d4601df8f7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you're intrigued by the technology and your friend speaks highly of the Crossray infrared BBQ, it could be worth considering as a replacement for your rusted-out gas grill. Just be sure to weigh the cost against the potential benefits and consider any specific needs or preferences you have for your outdoor cooking setup. Additionally, if you're looking for convenient cooking options indoors, exploring instant pot chicken recipes might be a worthwhile endeavor, offering delicious meals with minimal effort and time investment.

Edited by Smitbret