Coopers Community

Show us ya BBQ

Tricky Micky

*Warning first world problem!

What BBQ's do you guys and Gals have? LPG, natural gas, charcoal, smokers,  or even electric.

My daughter (bless) gave me a Weber iGrill wireless temp probe for Chrissy.

image.thumb.jpeg.b56578b7995b3af3e3d134bad4055c9e.jpeg

iGrill wireless temp probe

My dilemma is that my 6 gas burner BBQ that the kids gave me for my 50th (a very long time ago) has rusted out on the back wall causing all the gas burners to fall away. It's a massive DIY fix - probably around 300-400 dollars.

image.thumb.jpeg.1696c06e024e8c0d19bfa0cea9c5529d.jpeg

My 6 burner gas BBQ

Anyway, my mate recently purchased a BBQ I'd never heard of before and it's really got me interested. I'm wondering if any of you good folk here have had any experience with the BBQ and if so what your thoughts might be.

The model I'm interested in is called the Crossray infra red BBQ.  Very Exy, but say it will last a lifetime and cooks like no other Barbie on the market.

Crossray Infrared 4 Burner Trolley BBQ | The BBQ King

The Crossray infrared BBQ 

My mate says it' a ripper and cooks so evenly.  Anyways, look forward to feedback and any comments. TIA

Edited by Tricky Micky
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

*Warning first world problem!

What BBQ's do you guys and Gals have? LPG, natural gas, charcoal, smokers,  or even electric.

My daughter (bless) gave me a Weber iGrill wireless temp probe for Chrissy.

image.thumb.jpeg.b56578b7995b3af3e3d134bad4055c9e.jpeg

iGrill wireless temp probe

My dilemma is that my 6 gas burner BBQ that the kids gave me for my 50th (a very long time ago) has rusted out on the back wall causing all the gas burners to fall away. It's a massive DIY fix - probably around 300-400 dollars.

image.thumb.jpeg.1696c06e024e8c0d19bfa0cea9c5529d.jpeg

My 6 burner gas BBQ

Anyway, my mate recently purchased a BBQ I'd never heard of before and it's really got me interested. I'm wondering if any of you good folk here have had any experience with the BBQ and if so what your thoughts might be.

The model I'm interested in is called the Crossray infra red BBQ.  Very Exy, but say it will last a lifetime and cooks like no other Barbie on the market.

Crossray Infrared 4 Burner Trolley BBQ | The BBQ King

The Crossray infrared BBQ 

My mate says it' a ripper and cooks so evenly.  Anyways, look forward to feedback and any comments. TIA

Well Mick, Tricky, over the years I have had 2 Weber's, one still going but modified, a 4 burner like yours which was 20+ years old & it was past cleaning etc. so it went in the last hard rubbish collection.

Since then, I have been cooking with my Char Griller Akorn using only charcoal & it's absolutely fantastic.

I cook everything on it including pizza & I love it.

BTW, your new one looks great.

https://chargrilleraustralia.com.au/

482902ba-419d-4f46-8b65-8fee76aae8fe_1.257db3bd618316f381476143646fdf35.webp

• Like 4

I have a Weber Family Q on LPG. A good quality bbq BUT accessories are over the top pricey. They're like the iphone of bbqs. Due to the shape you can't just buy a regular piece of hot plate from a hardware shop, you have to buy THEIR hotplate. Same goes for grill scrapers etc. I bought a Wiltshire scraper but the Weber grill isn't a standard size so the teeth don't fit between the grills. FFS.
It produces nice tasting food but not as good as something with charcoal or a smoker. While it's a good bbq I'm not sure a Weber will be my next bbq purchase.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

I also have a family Q and a Weber kettle I paid $50 for years ago. Love cooking outside as much a possible. 

20220417_175409.jpg

I wish I'd kept my charcoal Weber. I gave it away out of impatience because I didn't like waiting for the coals to smoulder but there's no substitute for the flavour charcoal gives.
PS. I love your doggo. 🙂 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I wish I'd kept my charcoal Weber. I gave it away out of impatience because I didn't like waiting for the coals to smoulder but there's no substitute for the flavour charcoal gives.
PS. I love your doggo. 🙂 

They're great if you can make a day of it. Thought about getting a proper smoker but don't want to spend and I've done some good ribs/brisket in the kettle. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

@Tricky Micky the crossray looks interesting, pricey, but would love to give it a crack 👍🏻

Yeah it is expensive, but the more I read the more I likey.  Apparently according to the sales pitch it uses half the amount of gas that traditional gas barbies use to cook the food, From the vids I've seen of the cook ups the top grill is an awesome extra cooking space as well - not just for warming as the other BBQ's do. It also claims to cook a lot more evenly than the traditional gas burner bbq's - and lastly (Jury's still out on this one) the claim is that it's "almost" self cleaning. 😉

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

With all those hungry vampire female kids you have, that lot you're cooking wont last long 🤣

It was a cook we did a couple of years ago for a 50th, fed 140 people off of that haha.

@Tricky Micky I say invest in whatever you're happy with, if you've got to spend a few dollars and your budget allows it, i say go for it.

• Like 3

I have a baby q and a 57cm weber! I love them both especially the weber which I got off gumtree for 50bucks! I cleaned it up and it came up a treat! As they say one man’s trash can be another man’s treasure!

IMG_6303.jpeg

IMG_5892.jpeg

IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2177.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

simple 4 burner bbq with hood at this place. 🙂

it was (and still is) my first hooded bbq. bought 6 or 7 years ago, and it hasn't skipped a beat.

done pizza's and all the usual bbq fare. it gets such a better dryer heat than the electric oven inside. 

PXL_20210207_014941467.jpg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I have a baby q and a 57cm weber! I love them both especially the weber which I got off gumtree for 50bucks! I cleaned it up and it came up a treat! As they say one man’s trash can be another man’s treasure!

IMG_6303.jpeg

IMG_5892.jpeg

IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2177.jpeg

@RDT2, love the Weber Kettle BBQ's. Ex missus used to demo for Weber, so I got to learn how to use the thing. I love the fact that you were able to save an unloved barbie as well - clean it up and use it to cook up food like you've shown here. Brilliant stuff!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RDT2 said:

IMG_6303.jpeg

IMG_5892.jpeg

IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2177.jpeg

Good-looking variety of BBQ greatness mate, well done, looks like a snapper unless I'm mistaken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Good-looking variety of BBQ greatness mate, well done, looks like a snapper unless I'm mistaken.

Yes mate freshly caught it was beautiful!

• Like 3

On 12/30/2023 at 7:11 PM, Malter White said:

I have a Weber Family Q on LPG. A good quality bbq BUT accessories are over the top pricey. They're like the iphone of bbqs. Due to the shape you can't just buy a regular piece of hot plate from a hardware shop, you have to buy THEIR hotplate. Same goes for grill scrapers etc. I bought a Wiltshire scraper but the Weber grill isn't a standard size so the teeth don't fit between the grills. FFS.
It produces nice tasting food but not as good as something with charcoal or a smoker. While it's a good bbq I'm not sure a Weber will be my next bbq purchase.

Yes  I'll add, a bastard to clean.

• Like 2