Coopers Community

Internet Providers.

Pale Man

27 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I never had any dramas with HFC, to be honest. I started off with good old cable Internet back in 2000 with a whopping 10mbit/s data rate. I don't know if there was fibre in the mix back then, other than between backbones. DSL was never an option in my street, so until the advent of the NBN, I was limited to Optus and Telstra, if I wanted anything more than dial-up. Over the years the speed increased and then the NBN finally arrived, I was happy with my 100/40 (now 100/25) HFC connection. Even after increasing the speed to 200mbit. I had no dramas with speed or stability. Actually, I must have been really lucky as in all those years, I had maybe five noteworthy outages, all sorted within a few hours. Since we moved house in 22, I have an FTTP connection and am currently subscribed to a 250/25mbit plan. Well, I signed up for 200mbit but they changed the plans and pricing, so now I have more but pay $30 less a month. For an extra $20/month, I can upgrade to the fastest 700mbit plan on offer. Speeds are good on my end.

image.png.6843d689b087abdbec389c2367d53afb.png

Slow speeds could be caused by various things. Too much traffic is probably the most common. If you plug things directly into the router via an ethernet cable, do you see speeds increase? The bottleneck could be your router. Too many wireless devices, too much "noise" in the band your WiFi is operating? Try using a different channel for the WiFi. I had a lot of interference from neighbouring networks and after changing the channel, all was good. If you have a dual-band router, set the less important devices to run on the 2.4GHz network and the ones that require more bandwidth on the 5GHz band. 5GHz is a lot faster but has a lower range. In a home context, the range should not be too much of an issue, although I can tell when I am in the brewery, the signal strength drops a bit. WiFi range can also be affected by the building itself. Too many walls, thick walls, brick or concrete walls, etc all affect your WiFi signal. Try to set up a mesh network with more than one access point. In a mesh, devices can seamlessly connect to a different access point with a better signal strength. If you install two or more access points in your home, you should be getting much better and more stable coverage, regardless of where you are in the house. 

Me too, no dramas ever with HFC, I just plugged in the new upgrade modem & the very first speed test without even plugging in the supplied booster is almost the promised speeds, so to all you OptusKnockers - yes, it is faster.

I am happy & I don't need to pay more for higher speeds these days as being retired it still does everything I want.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I got it disconnected they were always down in the pits working on it all my neighbours have the same problem inconsistent speed's and drop out it's because of the infrastructure as I said I'm happy with just hot spotting my phone I won't touch NBN again until they upgrade things.

If they're constantly working on it, it is an NBN problem. faulty or non-suitable infrastructure. I'd still try to test with wired network, just to be sure. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I got it disconnected they were always down in the pits working on it all my neighbours have the same problem inconsistent speed's and drop out it's because of the infrastructure as I said I'm happy with just hot spotting my phone I won't touch NBN again until they upgrade things.

We had a customer, who was on a Telstra DSL connection at a fairly new industrial estate. Internet was fine until around 3pm, when it all went pear shaped. Telstra checked the lines and everything but all was fine. It took us a while to add one and one together and figure out what the issue was. What happens around 3pm? That's right, kids come home from school and hit the Internet. Telstra first laughed at the idea but then figured out that the customer was connected to an exchange that is otherwise used by mainly residential users. So our theory was proven right. The customer moved to a microwave link and had no more speed issues in the arvo. 

4 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

If they're constantly working on it, it is an NBN problem. faulty or non-suitable infrastructure. I'd still try to test with wired network, just to be sure. 

It is the infrastructure it was put in over 20 years ago the lad next door who has moved to New Zealand works on super computers all over the world said it was agony even Telstra have admitted that the early cables were not sufficient and have to be upgraded but want optus to help cover the cost optus have said we pay to use your assets so you fix it

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

We had a customer, who was on a Telstra DSL connection at a fairly new industrial estate. Internet was fine until around 3pm, when it all went pear shaped. Telstra checked the lines and everything but all was fine. It took us a while to add one and one together and figure out what the issue was. What happens around 3pm? That's right, kids come home from school and hit the Internet. Telstra first laughed at the idea but then figured out that the customer was connected to an exchange that is otherwise used by mainly residential users. So our theory was proven right. The customer moved to a microwave link and had no more speed issues in the arvo. 

My new modem is connected & working,  there is a free  booster with this plan & I also get a free Netflix Premium subscription with it.

Overall,  with the slightly higher monthly premium & the refund of my current Netflix subscription,  the overall plan is $4.00 more.

It is faster & I  took another speed test, attached, not only did I get exactly what I was promised & are paying for, so I am extremely happy with the deal.

20240314_152402.jpg

20240314_152459.jpg

20240314_123844.jpg

On 3/13/2024 at 8:27 PM, ozdevil said:

This is my speedtest done at 8.20pm tonight    by speedtest.net  

Hey @ozdevil , by now, aren't you supposed to be out cruising on the high seas, a rocking' & a rolling' and playing roly-poly with Mrs OzDevil?  😉

What Arya still doing at home?

Mrs TasDevil.PNG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Hey @ozdevil , by now, aren't you supposed to be out cruising on the high seas, a rocking' & a rolling' and playing roly-poly with Mrs OzDevil?  😉

What Arya still doing at home?

Mrs TasDevil.PNG

Not until the 1st of April before  i board "the love boat "  but start the holiday on the 29th of march .   but i wish i was  out on the high seas rocking and rolling  and playing roly poly with Mrs Ozdevil

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/15/2024 at 5:08 AM, ozdevil said:

Not until the 1st of April before  i board "the love boat "  but start the holiday on the 29th of march .   but i wish i was  out on the high seas rocking and rolling  and playing roly poly with Mrs Ozdevil

Sorry, my mistake.  I thought you said March you were going on the love boat.  Anyway, enjoy your cruise but keep one ear open for that warning yell in the middle of the night "Iceberg Dead Ahead" ! 🚢 🧊 🙃

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 2

On 3/15/2024 at 5:08 AM, ozdevil said:

Where ya heading off to Ozzie?

7 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

Where ya heading off to Ozzie?

heading to Sydney for a couple of days then jumping aboard a bath tub to Moreton Island and then returning to Sydney for a couple more days  before returning  to the bankrupt state

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2024 at 8:27 PM, ozdevil said:

you might be wll on a plan of 100/18 mbps

that 100mbps is not guareenteed you will get that,  you may get it at cvertain tims but you will find  that your isp speed may only by 85mbps .

i have 1000mbps/50mbps 

My isp states i may not got these speeds and at peak times i may only 600mbps

Also alot of isps  now throttle you  specially around peak times, they will tell you they don't , but they do

This is my speedtest done at 8.20pm tonight    by speedtest.net  

image.thumb.png.8b92a4a2684f46c8f7f04fc1f0140ac5.png

Not getting my average speed test is around 900mbps  

ibooz2 has explained in laymens terms so you could understand  what happens 

as others have said internet in Australia is 3rd world   and their is 3rd world countries  with better speeds

Australias  telco lines need major overhauling  our nbn is very much outdated and done dirt cheap

I bet that you have to pay through the nose for those speeds @ozdevil. That is the problem we have in Australia, the pollies buggered up the infrastructure and we are worse in terms of speed and accessibility than most 3rd world countries.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I bet that you have to pay through the nose for those speeds @ozdevil. That is the problem we have in Australia, the pollies buggered up the infrastructure and we are worse in terms of speed and accessibility than most 3rd world countries.

$130  a month  i was paying $150 a month until about 2 months ago  and they reduced my  monthly cost .

i totally agree with you   with the second rate infrastructure .      

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ozdevil said:

heading to Sydney for a couple of days then jumping aboard a bath tub to Moreton Island and then returning to Sydney for a couple more days  before returning  to the bankrupt state

Travel safe mate, and enjoy.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2024 at 5:57 AM, ozdevil said:

$130  a month  i was paying $150 a month until about 2 months ago  and they reduced my  monthly cost .

i totally agree with you   with the second rate infrastructure .      

Not bad at all. I pay $95 for my 250/25 connection. The fastest TPG offer here is 750/40 for around $115 or so. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Not bad at all. I pay $95 for my 250/25 connection. The fastest TPG offer here is 750/40 for around $115 or so. 

Optus have a 240/22 for $105.00 & 600/40 for $129.00 but both have a Premium Netflix Subscription, or it is $85.00 for the 240/22.

& $109.00 for the 600/40.

I find my 100/18 plan heaps fast enough & for $75.00 which also includes Netflix.

• Like 2