Coopers Community

Internet Providers.

Pale Man

I'm sure there was a subject about this before but just cant find it in search. So i'll start another.

I'm currently with Internode ( iinet ) and have been for many years. They were good, but the last 4 months ago as a provider they have gone to hell for me. They have decided not to provide email service anymore, In their wisdom are migrating all Internode email addresses to a different company. Long story short, I basically have no email from my provider anymore.

Also they cant verify my identity, so I cant log into my account. Ive gone around in circles trying to verify myself for two months, and nothing is working.

Had a gutful so Im looking for a new provider as of now.

Who are you people with, whos good, whos bad??? Throw ideas at me fellow brewers.

• Like 1

I use Aussie Broadband and since switching to them I have nothing but praise for them. They have exemplary customer service, in my experience with them.

I am not sure about using their email, why don't you just use something like gmail or outlook and then you have an email address that you use that is not dependent on your ISP should you change providers again in the future, your email address will not be affected.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I am not sure about using their email, why don't you just use something like gmail or outlook and then you have an email address that you use that is ill not be affected.

I have used internode email for years and have many contacts for many many various things, and now all of a sudden i am cut off. Its not only inconvenient its downright ridiculous.

I'm very aware of gmail, but that doesn't solve my problem.

Anyway a work mate today also recommended me to Aussie Broadband.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I have used internode email for years and have many contacts for many many various things, and now all of a sudden i am cut off. Its not only inconvenient its downright ridiculous.

I have been with Optus for many years, it is officially the fastest speed in Australia, you can check, apart from the odd outage is also cheaper & better than Telstra.

I have been assisting my neighbours who were with Internode & they have had nothing but trouble, they are both without computer knowledge & very old fashioned  but they have agreed to switch to Optus. 

Everyone is going to have an opinion & I understand location could also affect performance in some areas but as far as customer service & peace of mind goes, I couldn't be happier with my package which includes mobile upgrades a fast NBN with a few bonuses. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have been with Optus for many years, it is officially the fastest speed in Australia, you can check, apart from the odd outage is also cheaper & better than Telstra.

I have been assisting my neighbours who were with Internode & they have had nothing but trouble, they are both without computer knowledge & very old fashioned  but they have agreed to switch to Optus. 

Everyone is going to have an opinion & I understand location could also affect performance in some areas but as far as customer service & peace of mind goes, I couldn't be happier with my package which includes mobile upgrades a fast NBN with a few bonuses. 

I should also add I have had a Gmail address for years & I also have a Microsoft 365 subscription that gives me the full working version of Outlook which also updates every year to the latest version. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

I'm sure there was a subject about this before but just cant find it in search. So i'll start another.

I'm currently with Internode ( iinet ) and have been for many years. They were good, but the last 4 months ago as a provider they have gone to hell for me. They have decided not to provide email service anymore, In their wisdom are migrating all Internode email addresses to a different company. Long story short, I basically have no email from my provider anymore.

Also they cant verify my identity, so I cant log into my account. Ive gone around in circles trying to verify myself for two months, and nothing is working.

Had a gutful so Im looking for a new provider as of now.

Who are you people with, whos good, whos bad??? Throw ideas at me fellow brewers.

That's what I am talking about, they left my neighbours in the dark & have decided to stop providing an email client & steered everyone into a company called "The message company" or something stupid & as from next year they will charge for using their crap email service,  Hello 🤔

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

"The message company" or something stupid & as from next year they will charge for using their crap email service,  Hello 🤔

Thats the one. It basically doesnt work. All the contacts Ive had over the years are caput, gone. Internode have left customers in the dark.

Do other internet providers provide email service? I know Telstra do.

14 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Thats the one. It basically doesnt work. All the contacts Ive had over the years are caput, gone. Internode have left customers in the dark.

Do other internet providers provide email service? I know Telstra do.

Believe it or not they are all cutting it out, Optus has & Telstra will be, but if you are an existing customer you can retain your email service. 

Most ISP realise that everyone has a Gmail A/C so the need to continue the service is no longer viable,  it's the same as the old @hotmail service.

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Believe it or not they are all cutting it out, Optus has & Telstra will be, but if you are an existing customer you can retain your email service. 

Most ISP realise that everyone has a Gmail A/C so the need to continue the service is no longer viable,  it's the same as the old @hotmail service.

Fair enough, thats understandable. But the transition has gone pear shaped with internode. And adding that I cant even log into my account, because my ID cant be verified for some dumb reason. Had enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I still have an @hotmail account, it is just part of the outlook service now so it is just M$'s version of gmail.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Theres no way I'm paying for email. So I'll have to rebulid all my contacts through gmail. If they start charging, i just wont have an email account.

Just now, Pale Man said:

Theres no way I'm paying for email. So I'll have to rebulid all my contacts through gmail. If they start charging, i just wont have an email account.

Mate all you need is a Gmail address, whether you can successfully import your contacts is another matter.

I tried with the neighbours @internode but it was totally useless. 

I even rang Internode support for them & a technical guy had no idea so what chance has anyone got with a useless set-up like that.

I would only ever go with the main players, not some two-bob concern that rents their towers off Optus or Telstra. 

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I would only ever go with the main players, not some two-bob concern that rents their towers off Optus or Telstra. 

Really Phil, you always seem to have a controversial post that is not quite factual. The only mobile operators that have mobile towers are Telstra, Optus and Vodafone. They do not actually rent them out to others. You are just commenting on mobile phone towers. ISP's use many methods to deliver internet, not just mobile phone towers, they also use wired connections via the NBN and fixed wireless services also via the NBN. You talk about 2 bob providers and talk about Optus in glowing terms. Do you realise that Optus was actually hacked last year and probably all your ID info is all over the dark web and for sale? Optus also had the recent major failure over their network, where you had no service for quite a period of time?

What you said is just a load of BS. At least you will be unable to say that you have been using Optus for the last 40 years without problem, as the Singapore company has not existed that long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

@kmar92  and your work mate  have recommended well, 

I used to be with iinet  quite sometime ago  but soon changed to Aussiebroadband    i am on a 1gig  plan  and very rarely do i drop download speed  below 800mb/s at peak time 

if you choose Aussiebroadband  i dont think you will be sorry    i have never had issues with them at all  since i changed

• Like 2

Look at launtel they don't do email but you can use your Gmail

With launtel if you go on a holiday for say 2 weeks or a month you can pause your connection and pay nothing

I have my connection on pause and only connect it when the grandkids come over then pause it again when they leave

• Like 1

just becareful as well   when choosing an isp  and what you are purchasing with them

a big thing alot of isps are going to do , and is going to happen to all isps i think moving forward, is  they will throttle your bandwidth  which is not ideal  
throttling usually happens during peak periods , the isps will tell you they dont do it , but the sneakily do it .

during peak periods your internet speeds will suddenly drop down and you will feel like you brew a beer in the time the webpage will play and sometimes you might get the circle of death on a movie that ya watching on netflix   

Some of big culprits of isp throttling is 2 of your biggest internet providers optus and telstra , the main reason why isps do this is to clear network  congestion.

now  you might be happy with the  cheapeast plan  eg

optus   $70  
internet speed  = 25mbps download  8mbps
peak periods = 7pm-11pm  (this will be the time they throttle you)

on optus's cheapest plan  you may have purchased 25mb/s download over 8mb/s  ,  even in non peak period you may not get 25mb/s   you may only get 15mb/s at best   now you enter the peak period  between 7pm - 11pm    they will throttle you down depending on the congestion of the network    this   may even bring that download speed under 10mb/s

this is fine for those that dont watch streaming services   wether its netflix style or Iptv  and just want to  read emails or look up websites  such as the coopers forum.

my advice is purchase  the best download/upload speed you possibly can for what your using it for 

take into account what you are running on your internet speccially these days when we have more appliances with connecting to the internet   specially when your using wifi   (i hate wifi)
if you have   a family 5   with  all 5 members having smartphones  and 3 kids with tablets. having 8 devices on the 1 wifi  network  it will slow your download and upload speeds 
just rember these days we now have smart tvs,   pc's, laptops  and there is heap more appliances   clogging up that wifi signal

so just imagine on 25/8mbps download speeds  and you have every single device in your house all connected at once and this is not taking into account the network congestion outside of your home   

with Aussiebroadband i am  on 1000/50

My pc  is ethernet connected    my average download speed is 935mbps   during peak periods  it may drop to  700mbps

if i get throttled   i am not effected to much  as if i get buffered i may go down to 500mbps   that is pretty quick still

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

just becareful as well   when choosing an isp  and what you are purchasing with them

a big thing alot of isps are going to do , and is going to happen to all isps i think moving forward, is  they will throttle your bandwidth  which is not ideal  
throttling usually happens during peak periods , the isps will tell you they dont do it , but the sneakily do it .

during peak periods your internet speeds will suddenly drop down and you will feel like you brew a beer in the time the webpage will play and sometimes you might get the circle of death on a movie that ya watching on netflix   

Some of big culprits of isp throttling is 2 of your biggest internet providers optus and telstra , the main reason why isps do this is to clear network  congestion.

now  you might be happy with the  cheapeast plan  eg

optus   $70  
internet speed  = 25mbps download  8mbps
peak periods = 7pm-11pm  (this will be the time they throttle you)

on optus's cheapest plan  you may have purchased 25mb/s download over 8mb/s  ,  even in non peak period you may not get 25mb/s   you may only get 15mb/s at best   now you enter the peak period  between 7pm - 11pm    they will throttle you down depending on the congestion of the network    this   may even bring that download speed under 10mb/s

this is fine for those that dont watch streaming services   wether its netflix style or Iptv  and just want to  read emails or look up websites  such as the coopers forum.

my advice is purchase  the best download/upload speed you possibly can for what your using it for 

take into account what you are running on your internet speccially these days when we have more appliances with connecting to the internet   specially when your using wifi   (i hate wifi)
if you have   a family 5   with  all 5 members having smartphones  and 3 kids with tablets. having 8 devices on the 1 wifi  network  it will slow your download and upload speeds 
just rember these days we now have smart tvs,   pc's, laptops  and there is heap more appliances   clogging up that wifi signal

so just imagine on 25/8mbps download speeds  and you have every single device in your house all connected at once and this is not taking into account the network congestion outside of your home   

with Aussiebroadband i am  on 1000/50

My pc  is ethernet connected    my average download speed is 935mbps   during peak periods  it may drop to  700mbps

if i get throttled   i am not effected to much  as if i get buffered i may go down to 500mbps   that is pretty quick still

I have a package with OPTUS which includes the NBN, Mobile/Netflix subscription. It is all a tidy bundle & also affordable. The download & upload speeds are as fast as you would want them to be, I have a 4K TV & use the internet most of the time in the lounge & another in the kitchen/dining & the big desktop computer in the office.

All of it is unlimited & I couldn't want for anymore.

Also, if I need to speak to someone, I can call the Adelaide office instead of talking to a monkey in a spaceship. 🐒 🤣

• Like 1

I was with Internode and they served me well for many years, but after they were sold to iinet and then on to TPG, I moved on, currently with Superloop, happy with them.

TPG has been buying up smaller companies and is now the second largest in Australia.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

apart from the odd outage

🤣 And the leaking of personal info to the dark web - we're a forgiving lot. 😂 Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Just for the record I'm with Optus as well - I believe Aussie Broadband uses the Optus network.

Optus has been pretty reliable generally, I also use their landline service and get unlimited calls to Thailand either mobile or landline for ten bucks a moth so SWMBO is a happy wife - ya know what they say........

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

🤣 And the leaking of personal info to the dark web - we're a forgiving lot. 😂 Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Just for the record I'm with Optus as well - I believe Aussie Broadband uses the Optus network.

Optus has been pretty reliable generally, I also use their landline service and get unlimited calls to Thailand either mobile or landline for ten bucks a moth so SWMBO is a happy wife - ya know what they say........

Yeah, it's just a matter of finding someone who can take care of everything at the right price. I have been with them for years & never had a problem.

All ISP's have had their share of outages just as corporate concerns have had data breaches; it all gets sorted in the end.

Everyone always has different opinions, but I won't be changing anytime soon.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 6:08 PM, Pale Man said:

Did you miss the memo, mate?
I'm with Internode/iinet. They sent me an email a few weeks/months ago advising of email hosting changes (I think that's what it was called). You had to opt in to continue using your current email address etc but another company was hosting the email stuff....I think that's how it goes. Anyway, I've still got my existing email still happening as before.
However, I'm not enamoured with iinet/Internode. My allegedly 50mbps plan rarely gets anywhere near 50, even during quiet times and I notice they're offering new "faster" plans. In other words, we're going to frustrate you into a new plan. Well, f**k them. When the time is right I'll be moving providers and I'll be converting all my email over to gmail.

• Like 3

Yes @Tricky Micky Aussie Broadband uses the Optus mobile network, fortunately they do not allow Optus to access their customer ID records so with the Optus hack no Aussie Broadband customers were affected. Aussie Broadband uses its own infrastructure for fixed and wireless internet via the NBN.

@ozdevil I am not sure that ISP's do much throttling, I feel that it is mainly the NBN network that causes speed losses in peak times and that is because a previous Government elected to change the network originally designed to a cheaper version and hence now there are capacity bottlenecks with it. I know that Aussie Broadband provides real time data on it's available provisioning and for my area and POI I have never seen network traffic get near what has been provisioned and that is why I suspect that it is the NBN network that is the culprit with congestion and slower speeds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

@ozdevil I am not sure that ISP's do much throttling, I feel that it is mainly the NBN network that causes speed losses in peak times and that is because a previous Government elected to change the network originally designed to a cheaper version and hence now there are capacity bottlenecks with it. I know that Aussie Broadband provides real time data on it's available provisioning and for my area and POI I have never seen network traffic get near what has been provisioned and that is why I suspect that it is the NBN network that is the culprit with congestion and slower speeds.

your not sure that isps are throttling ?   thats not a confident statement right there .  here in australia   i will kinda of agree  some of ity is government and nbn..   but throttling is huge  in our isps  , alot will not recognise it .   ask any high end gamer in Australia   

being aussiebroadband  i havent seen it   but i know  there is  isps using throttling and not saying anything

• Like 1