Coopers Community

Internet Providers.

Pale Man

24 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The current model is Generation 1, the new one is Generation 2, it is faster as I have seen one in action in my area.

It is HFC connected  & as I said, I am not worried about anything,  besides I didn't have to pay for it as I stepped up to the top plan & with discounts I am paying $4.00 a month extra.

HFC is a problem Australia wide that is why they are saying they have to upgrade it I have it and had nothing near what they said I could get so told them to shove it

I hot spot my phone for Netflix and I get better speed than what the NBN could give me when the grandkids are over I have the 3 of them all on my hot spot and it's still faster than what HFC was 🤣 I would not have paid for it I would have told them I'm not getting what I paid for and they would have given you the router for nothing.

Edited by Back Brewing

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

HFC is hybrid fibre over coax, in other words they are using the old cable TV coax dangling from pole to pole out in the street (or it may be underground going pit to pit) to distribute the NBN in your area.  They have done this in my area too to cut costs and it is the worst possible way for you to be connected to the NBN.  Like I said using the cable TV coax is just like your water mains, only so much they can push through it.  I have exactly the same HFC connection here and at worst times it's not much better than dial up, luckily when it slows too much it switches over automatically to the 4G Simm card connection.  Just now did a speed test (because many people will have their hoses turned on full bore at this time of night), I got 55 mbs dwn 18 mbs up.

I have an old 4G Telstra hotspot which I use in my off-road caravan and its (most times) way faster than the NBN to the house.  I am just investigating giving all the NBN stuff the flick and going a Starlink mobile setup.

Anyway this is 100Mbps/18mbps & that's fine with me.

Do you think it will rain? 🤣

21 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The current model is Generation 1, the new one is Generation 2, it is faster as I have seen one in action in my area.

It is HFC connected  & as I said, I am not worried about anything,  besides I didn't have to pay for it as I stepped up to the top plan & with discounts I am paying $4.00 a month extra.

Ya just don't get it Phil.  It cannot be faster than your pipes allow.  The flog that flogs you the plan or the gear is not a Telecommunications Engineer in charge of or capable of calculating the bandwidth.  He is a sales flogger.

I hope it does rain here.  I just filled my mash kettle with filtered rainwater in readiness for my brew day tomorrow - a Ryerish Red Ale 44 L and I think all my big tanks are near empty.  Might be the last brew day for me until I get a heavenly top-up.

Picture a man doing a strange dance whilst waving at the sky, probably about dawn tomorrow. 🕺 💨

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

HFC is hybrid fibre over coax, in other words they are using the old cable TV coax dangling from pole to pole out in the street (or it may be underground going pit to pit) to distribute the NBN in your area.  They have done this in my area too, in order to cut costs and it is the worst possible way for you to be connected to the NBN.  Like I said using the cable TV coax is just like your water mains, only so much they can push through it.  I have exactly the same HFC connection here and at worst times it's not much better than dial up, luckily when it slows too much it switches over automatically to the 4G Simm card connection.  Just now did a speed test (because many people will have their hoses turned on full bore at this time of night), I got 55 mbs dwn 18 mbs up.

I have an old 4G Telstra hotspot which I use in my off-road caravan and its (most times) way faster than the NBN to the house.  I am just investigating giving all the NBN stuff the flick and going a Starlink mobile setup.

Starlink will be a faster connection but it will cost you a lot more I would think. You will also be at the mercy of Elon, and he can be a bit of an erratic individual.

HFC is just a version of FTTN with a larger pipe to you from the node. Works OK but it is old technology.

Almost criminal what has been done to the original NBN concept by Malcom Turnbull, very shortsighted move on a good original concept.

When I go to the smallest village in Thailand with the right infrastructure they have very fast FTTP (1000Mbps) at a very minimal cost - like $20/month and very reliable. So what happened here in Australia?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Starlink will be a faster connection but it will cost you a lot more I would think. You will also be at the mercy of Elon, and he can be a bit of an erratic individual.

HFC is just a version of FTTN with a larger pipe to you from the node. Works OK but it is old technology.

Almost criminal what has been done to the original NBN concept by Malcom Turnbull, very shortsighted move on a good original concept.

When I go to the smallest village in Thailand with the right infrastructure they have very fast FTTP (1000Mbps) at a very minimal cost - like $20/month and very reliable. So what happened here in Australia?

Yeah ! Don't get me started. 

All those politicians should be held to account and should have bet their future salary's and super on their decisions.  We as the public should have the right to withhold on both those payments to them if the job is not done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I doubt whether it will be faster Phil, but anyway the marketing guys have made you feel like it is a step up and you are happy, and they are happy as they got you to pay more per month - win win.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Anyway this is 100Mbps/18mbps & that's fine with me.

Do you think it will rain? 🤣

you might be wll on a plan of 100/18 mbps

that 100mbps is not guareenteed you will get that,  you may get it at cvertain tims but you will find  that your isp speed may only by 85mbps .

i have 1000mbps/50mbps 

My isp states i may not got these speeds and at peak times i may only 600mbps

Also alot of isps  now throttle you  specially around peak times, they will tell you they don't , but they do

This is my speedtest done at 8.20pm tonight    by speedtest.net  

image.thumb.png.8b92a4a2684f46c8f7f04fc1f0140ac5.png

Not getting my average speed test is around 900mbps  

ibooz2 has explained in laymens terms so you could understand  what happens 

as others have said internet in Australia is 3rd world   and their is 3rd world countries  with better speeds

Australias  telco lines need major overhauling  our nbn is very much outdated and done dirt cheap

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

It will not cost me anymore than I am paying now.  ATM paying $132 per month for crap home NBN and also paying $120 per month for mobile 4G hotspot, both are unlimited, but the reality is the home NBN is severely speed limited to the verge of unusable.  So that is $252 per month plus I had to pay $299 for the hotspot hardware in the first place. 

I only persist with it as I have static IP's and run a few servers, some are web servers and others are terminal servers, one for myself and the others for clients under contract.  Luckily those clients are only running business or medical software and not trying to steam videos and the like, just emails and general accounting / medical practice stuff.

Once I divest myself of those contracts, the Starlink mobile looks like the way to go.  Buy the hardware for $599 then coff up $174 per month and I can give all the NBN and 4G gear the flick when I go travelling, which was limited way out in the outback anyway.  Everyone I met on the road had a Starlink setup, some working from "so called" home when they were on a beach in Broome, nice if you can get it, (sounds like @stquinto's gig to me .....ha ha). 👌

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I doubt whether it will be faster Phil, but anyway the marketing guys have made you feel like it is a step up and you are happy, and they are happy as they got you to pay more per month - win win.

Nobody got me to do anything,  I just simply upgraded.

17 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

It will not cost me anymore than I am paying now.  ATM paying $132 per month for crap home NBN and also paying $120 per month for mobile 4G hotspot, both are unlimited, but the reality is the home NBN is severely speed limited to the verge of unusable. 

What form is the connection to the NBN that provides crap speed?

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes, as I said win-win, you are happy and so are the network providers.

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

enjoy mate,   your happy mate  with the upgrade  you have ,  as long as works for you    thats great 

Just now, iBooz2 said:

So called NBN via the old cable TV network coax.

OK HFC.

The NBN was such a great concept in its original form, and then it was destroyed by politicians.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The NBN works fine & I have had it for years without issue.

So you didn't have any issues when it fell over in recent history with the Optus debacle? Or when all your personal id stuff was leaked to the dark net after the Optus hack?

I thought that you had said that you had no internet/phone for days?

7 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

So you didn't have any issues when it fell over in recent history with the Optus debacle? Or when all your personal id stuff was leaked to the dark net after the Optus hack?

I thought that you had said that you had no internet/phone for days?

Nah, I had phone  & the outage was fixed fairly quickly. 

20 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

OK HFC.

The NBN was such a great concept in its original form, and then it was destroyed by politicians.

Yes, as per several posts back, see my post on page 2.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

HFC is a problem Australia wide that is why they are saying they have to upgrade it I have it and had nothing near what they said I could get so told them to shove it

I hot spot my phone for Netflix and I get better speed than what the NBN could give me when the grandkids are over I have the 3 of them all on my hot spot and it's still faster than what HFC was 🤣 I would not have paid for it I would have told them I'm not getting what I paid for and they would have given you the router for nothing.

I never had any dramas with HFC, to be honest. I started off with good old cable Internet back in 2000 with a whopping 10mbit/s data rate. I don't know if there was fibre in the mix back then, other than between backbones. DSL was never an option in my street, so until the advent of the NBN, I was limited to Optus and Telstra, if I wanted anything more than dial-up. Over the years the speed increased and then the NBN finally arrived, I was happy with my 100/40 (now 100/25) HFC connection. Even after increasing the speed to 200mbit. I had no dramas with speed or stability. Actually, I must have been really lucky as in all those years, I had maybe five noteworthy outages, all sorted within a few hours. Since we moved house in 22, I have an FTTP connection and am currently subscribed to a 250/25mbit plan. Well, I signed up for 200mbit but they changed the plans and pricing, so now I have more but pay $30 less a month. For an extra $20/month, I can upgrade to the fastest 700mbit plan on offer. Speeds are good on my end.

image.png.6843d689b087abdbec389c2367d53afb.png

Slow speeds could be caused by various things. Too much traffic is probably the most common. If you plug things directly into the router via an ethernet cable, do you see speeds increase? The bottleneck could be your router. Too many wireless devices, too much "noise" in the band your WiFi is operating? Try using a different channel for the WiFi. I had a lot of interference from neighbouring networks and after changing the channel, all was good. If you have a dual-band router, set the less important devices to run on the 2.4GHz network and the ones that require more bandwidth on the 5GHz band. 5GHz is a lot faster but has a lower range. In a home context, the range should not be too much of an issue, although I can tell when I am in the brewery, the signal strength drops a bit. WiFi range can also be affected by the building itself. Too many walls, thick walls, brick or concrete walls, etc all affect your WiFi signal. Try to set up a mesh network with more than one access point. In a mesh, devices can seamlessly connect to a different access point with a better signal strength. If you install two or more access points in your home, you should be getting much better and more stable coverage, regardless of where you are in the house. 

Forgot to mention: If you plug in a device directly into the router, go to speedtest.net and run a test. If you are nowhere near what you pay for, get onto your ISP to sort it.

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I never had any dramas with HFC, to be honest. I started off with good old cable Internet back in 2000 with a whopping 10mbit/s data rate. I don't know if there was fibre in the mix back then, other than between backbones. DSL was never an option in my street, so until the advent of the NBN, I was limited to Optus and Telstra, if I wanted anything more than dial-up. Over the years the speed increased and then the NBN finally arrived, I was happy with my 100/40 (now 100/25) HFC connection. Even after increasing the speed to 200mbit. I had no dramas with speed or stability. Actually, I must have been really lucky as in all those years, I had maybe five noteworthy outages, all sorted within a few hours. Since we moved house in 22, I have an FTTP connection and am currently subscribed to a 250/25mbit plan. Well, I signed up for 200mbit but they changed the plans and pricing, so now I have more but pay $30 less a month. For an extra $20/month, I can upgrade to the fastest 700mbit plan on offer. Speeds are good on my end.

image.png.6843d689b087abdbec389c2367d53afb.png

Slow speeds could be caused by various things. Too much traffic is probably the most common. If you plug things directly into the router via an ethernet cable, do you see speeds increase? The bottleneck could be your router. Too many wireless devices, too much "noise" in the band your WiFi is operating? Try using a different channel for the WiFi. I had a lot of interference from neighbouring networks and after changing the channel, all was good. If you have a dual-band router, set the less important devices to run on the 2.4GHz network and the ones that require more bandwidth on the 5GHz band. 5GHz is a lot faster but has a lower range. In a home context, the range should not be too much of an issue, although I can tell when I am in the brewery, the signal strength drops a bit. WiFi range can also be affected by the building itself. Too many walls, thick walls, brick or concrete walls, etc all affect your WiFi signal. Try to set up a mesh network with more than one access point. In a mesh, devices can seamlessly connect to a different access point with a better signal strength. If you install two or more access points in your home, you should be getting much better and more stable coverage, regardless of where you are in the house. 

I got it disconnected they were always down in the pits working on it all my neighbours have the same problem inconsistent speed's and drop out it's because of the infrastructure as I said I'm happy with just hot spotting my phone I won't touch NBN again until they upgrade things.