Coopers Community

Yeast choice makes a big difference.

On 10/25/2023 at 10:29 PM, Vincent said:

Apology not accepted, as your conditional apology restated your opinion that my post was 'ridiculous'. I take this as offending.  I reserve the right to consider referring to the moderator. My extensive commercial brewing employment and further home brewing experiments are listed in my profile for all to see. I note you profile is a blank page.

We could be picky and say @Pale Man apologised for coming across as harsh, not for daring to have a different opinion. An apology doesn't mean you have to change your opinion, just maybe the way you brought it across. 

The other thing is, you demand respect but that is a 2-way street. Your "I have all this experience and I know it so much better than you all" attitude isn't really a show of respect. Yes, we are all a little disrespectful at times but it all depends on the context. Generally, this is a pleasant forum, even if some people don't always see eye to eye. We're all humans after all. If you stop telling others they don't know what they're doing if they don't do it your way then things get a lot more respectful. We have a lot of very experienced brewers here but neither of them would consider themselves the ultimate authority on brewing because of their experience. When asked, they give an opinion based on their practice and that's it. One this is certain: None of them would cry foul and "reserve the right to report to moderators" because they're offended when people don't agree with them, regardless of how things are conveyed. Take it on the chin and leave it. 

I agree with you that yeast can make a huge difference in beers. I've done and gone to the double batches, using different yeasts or fermenting one as an ale and the other as a lager. A huge difference. But racking 4 times over 30-45 days? Really? Not once did I see the need to rack even once, let alone 4 times. IMHO, it is total overkill. You speak of commercial brewing experience but honestly, I cannot see a commercial brewery having the time and resources to use this practice unless it is a specialty brew. It's the death of productivity and the cost of having valuable brewing equipment occupied for weeks is horrendous, especially for fledgling craft breweries.

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

We could be picky and say @Pale Man apologised for coming across as harsh, not for daring to have a different opinion. An apology doesn't mean you have to change your opinion, just maybe the way you brought it across. 

The other thing is, you demand respect but that is a 2-way street. Your "I have all this experience and I know it so much better than you all" attitude isn't really a show of respect. Yes, we are all a little disrespectful at times but it all depends on the context. Generally, this is a pleasant forum, even if some people don't always see eye to eye. We're all humans after all. If you stop telling others they don't know what they're doing if they don't do it your way then things get a lot more respectful. We have a lot of very experienced brewers here but neither of them would consider themselves the ultimate authority on brewing because of their experience. When asked, they give an opinion based on their practice and that's it. One this is certain: None of them would cry foul and "reserve the right to report to moderators" because they're offended when people don't agree with them, regardless of how things are conveyed. Take it on the chin and leave it. 

I agree with you that yeast can make a huge difference in beers. I've done and gone to the double batches, using different yeasts or fermenting one as an ale and the other as a lager. A huge difference. But racking 4 times over 30-45 days? Really? Not once did I see the need to rack even once, let alone 4 times. IMHO, it is total overkill. You speak of commercial brewing experience but honestly, I cannot see a commercial brewery having the time and resources to use this practice unless it is a specialty brew. It's the death of productivity and the cost of having valuable brewing equipment occupied for weeks is horrendous, especially for fledgling craft breweries.

Agreed @Aussiekraut 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Well said 👏

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The departed said:

I was told by my all-grain fraternity I'd be wasting my time and experience in this forum. They were right. 

Sorry we’re not in your league???? I consider this to be a good forum for ALL levels of brewing! As a member of this forum I find this comment a little offensive and i am sure others on this forum would! 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Sorry we’re not in your league???? I consider this to be a good forum for ALL levels of brewing! As a member of this forum I find this comment a little offensive and i am sure others on this forum would! 

You are right RDT2, we all started somewhere, & as it has been pointed out there are lots of experienced brewers one here past & present & you don't see any of them spruking about their experience etc.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion & sometimes that gets a bit heated however I agree there is no place on this forum for rudeness, sarcasm & cocky behavior. 

I just realised I said earlier I had no further comment, but I am only agreeing with you RDT2. 🤔

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, The departed said:

I was told by my all-grain fraternity I'd be wasting my time and experience in this forum. They were right. 

There is always someone who thinks he is better than others. If this is your attitude, take it to your elitarian boys club and you can tap yourselves on your soooo big shoulder. If we are not good enough for you, why are you here in the first place. And with all your experience, why are you not opening your own brewery and let us all try your beer. Like you said before, it is y o u r  experience, it doesn't mean that you are right. A forum is a place to exchange ideas, ask questions and find solutions. As a beginner brewer your original post was really not very helpful to incentive me on my brewing journey. Your reaction to the apology (I did not read the original criticism which offended you so much) is pathetic, sorry mate. ego, ego, ego, ego, ego........Have a good life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2023 at 9:33 AM, The departed said:

I'm not sure how many more have voted for you to leave but count me as 1. Sound like a yank talking about racking etc.

Do what you want but don't come here with nose in the air like you are superior and us peasants don't understand you.

Maybe we just do not understand stupid! Report me do what you want but I don't think this is the place for you fancy 4 timer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I'm not sure how many more have voted for you to leave but count me as 1. Sound like a yank talking about racking etc.

Do what you want but don't come here with nose in the air like you are superior and us peasants don't understand you.

Maybe we just do not understand stupid! Report me do what you want but I don't think this is the place for you fancy 4 timer.

This.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Figured this was as good a thread to bring it up as any.

Recently I, for the first time, remade one of my recipes for a second time. First time the only difference was the yeast; standard (old) coopers Euro lager yeast vs second time a Mangrove jacks lager yeast. The Mangrove Jacks yeast appears to be a lot more active, every bottle has been highly carbed (luckily no exploding bottles, touch wood). Taste wise, it's hard to tell. The extra carbonation lends its own character. So if anything, the Mangrove Jacks lager has lended an extra soda flavour.

*It also just occurred to me that the Coopers yeast was only 7g vs the MJ 10g. Might have been the difference.

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Figured this was as good a thread to bring it up as any.

Recently I, for the first time, remade one of my recipes for a second time. First time the only difference was the yeast; standard (old) coopers Euro lager yeast vs second time a Mangrove jacks lager yeast. The Mangrove Jacks yeast appears to be a lot more active, every bottle has been highly carbed (luckily no exploding bottles, touch wood). Taste wise, it's hard to tell. The extra carbonation lends its own character. So if anything, the Mangrove Jacks lager has lended an extra soda flavour.

*It also just occurred to me that the Coopers yeast was only 7g vs the MJ 10g. Might have been the difference.

I am not sure if the amount of yeast would make much of a difference carbonation wise.  If the Mangrove Jacks yeast attenuated more, it could explain why the finished beer was more carbonated.  The dissolved CO2 creates/contains carbonic acid which (copied from the internets) activates the acidic receptors in the taste buds and thus makes the drink taste less sweet. Aka soda water like.

• Like 3

On 10/28/2023 at 9:31 PM, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:
On 10/27/2023 at 9:33 AM, The departed said:

Just WOW!

On 10/27/2023 at 8:22 AM, Aussiekraut said:
On 10/25/2023 at 11:29 PM, Vincent said:

Apology not accepted, as your conditional apology restated your opinion that my post was 'ridiculous'. I take this as offending.  I reserve the right to consider referring to the moderator. My extensive commercial brewing employment and further home brewing experiments are listed in my profile for all to see. I note you profile is a blank page.

Just WOW WOW WOW!

Now that's an arrogance and an ego you don't see too often. I think the word for it is Trolling.

Edited by Tricky Micky
  • Haha 3

On 11/14/2023 at 12:57 AM, ChairmanDrew said:

The Mangrove Jacks yeast appears to be a lot more active, every bottle has been highly carbed (luckily no exploding bottles, touch wood)

Further to Shamus's comments around carbonation levels and attenuation characteristics of yeast strains; the higher level of CO2 in your second brew is either down to bottling too early (at the same Gravity as the previous brew maybe), or the presence of wild yeast (assuming identical priming rates in the two brews). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tricky Micky said:

Just WOW!

Just WOW WOW WOW!

Now that's an arrogance and an ego you don't see too often. I think the word for it is Trolling.

Yeah, The Departed certainly had tickets on himself but arrogance, ego, and trolling are not uncommon, at least in my experience.

• Like 2

I have come very late to this thread but I have found it immensely entertaining and kudos to @Aussiekraut and @PaleMan.   For what it is worth, I am now in the fortunate position of knowing at least 6  head brewers and a few brewery owners on the Sunny Coast and none of them recommend racking 4 times ever.  Even the guy who trained in Germany. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Marty_G said:

I have come very late to this thread but I have found it immensely entertaining and kudos to @Aussiekraut and @PaleMan.   For what it is worth, I am now in the fortunate position of knowing at least 6  head brewers and a few brewery owners on the Sunny Coast and none of them recommend racking 4 times ever.  Even the guy who trained in Germany. 

Yeah, most of us realised he was a dud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, most of us realised he was a dud.

He was  one of those two choice kind of guys: the high way or my way.   so he chose the highway. Good this has always been a forum that offered good advice with options to people.  A grandstander is not needed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Marty_G said:

Oh, the most entertaining parts have been edited out.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1