Coopers Community

Kegerator build

Hilltop hops

Question for all the keg masters looking to convert my fridge to a kegerator. Been using picnic tap for years and want to fit taps. Who's the best retailer? Can you buy a kit? No issues with putting it together, (ex tradie) just need all the bits! If I fit the shank, taps and drip tray is that it or am I missing something? 

Screenshot_20230812-203432_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230812-204141_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Hilltop hops

2 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Question for all the keg masters looking to convert my fridge to a kegerator. Been using picnic tap for years and want to fit taps. Who's the best retailer? Can you buy a kit? No issues with putting it together, (ex tradie) just need all the bits! If I fit the shank, taps and drip tray is that it or am I missing something? 

Screenshot_20230812-203432_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230812-204141_Chrome.jpg

If you Email to Keg King they will send you a list of what you need.

• Thanks 1

Screenshot_20230813-091135_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f8f9004bbe02d965e21876a11033dd4d.jpg

13 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Question for all the keg masters looking to convert my fridge to a kegerator. Been using picnic tap for years and want to fit taps. Who's the best retailer? Can you buy a kit? No issues with putting it together, (ex tradie) just need all the bits! If I fit the shank, tap and drip tray is there any additional parts I need? 

Something like this kit looks good to go. Should I get flow control taps? 

10 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Screenshot_20230813-091135_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f8f9004bbe02d965e21876a11033dd4d.jpg

Something like this kit looks good to go. Should I get flow control taps? 

The taps in the phoho are rear sealing taps.  Get forward sealing taps like Nukataps from Kegland or Ultrataps from Keg King.  They both have flow control tap options.  I have Intertaps from Keg King without flow control.  It would have been nice to have flow control to just ease back the flow on extra frothy brews.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The taps in the phoho are rear sealing taps.  Get forward sealing taps like Nukataps from Kegland or Ultrataps from Keg King.  They both have flow control tap options.  I have Intertaps from Keg King without flow control.  It would have been nice to have flow control to just ease back the flow on extra frothy brews.

2nd that, you need the forward sealing taps. I run Nukataps and they have worked great in the time that I have had them. I am not convinced on the flow control taps I must say, I don't really understand the benefit they give versus the price they are.

• Like 2

flow control taps , hmmm if you set up  your beer lines properly and have them balanced correctly there is no real need to go flow control
stouts   you may need  flow control or  if you plan to run short beer lines

if  you wish to go flow control tap   may i suggest  keg kings ultratap twist -flow control  part NO:10988  , this flow control tap  is alot easier
to control the flow   as you control the flow with the tap handle  rather then  the traditional flow control  with the flow control knob on the side of the tap
which makes pouring a beer a double handed  job  specially if you use springs in your taps

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ozdevil said:

flow control taps , hmmm if you set up  your beer lines properly and have them balanced correctly there is no real need to go flow control
stouts   you may need  flow control or  if you plan to run short beer lines

if  you wish to go flow control tap   may i suggest  keg kings ultratap twist -flow control  part NO:10988  , this flow control tap  is alot easier
to control the flow   as you control the flow with the tap handle  rather then  the traditional flow control  with the flow control knob on the side of the tap
which makes pouring a beer a double handed  job  specially if you use springs in your taps

@Hoppy81 installed mine with springs & I have found they work well especially if you have gassed up the keg too much, they really work.

57 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

@Hoppy81 installed mine with springs & I have found they work well especially if you have gassed up the keg too much, they really work.

how do you pour it and change flow  with out stopping the pour

where as the ultratap with twist handle  is a 1 hand thing and you can adjust while pouring

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

how do you pour it and change flow  with out stopping the pour

where as the ultratap with twist handle  is a 1 hand thing and you can adjust while pouring

Well so far if I find the pour too vigorous, I just pause poring, adjust & continue, that's all I've ever done unless there is another way.

30 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well so far if I find the pour too vigorous, I just pause poring, adjust & continue, that's all I've ever done unless there is another way.

phil,  if i can control the flow while pouring  then thats good   but if i have to stop the pour then adjust  then pour again  thats not my idea of fun lol.

where as the tap i have  you can pour and adjust  at the same time,   you can kinda tell when a beer is foaming up to much  and able to do it with a twist of a finger while pouring its much better  in my thoughts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

phil,  if i can control the flow while pouring  then thats good   but if i have to stop the pour then adjust  then pour again  thats not my idea of fun lol.

where as the tap i have  you can pour and adjust  at the same time,   you can kinda tell when a beer is foaming up to much  and able to do it with a twist of a finger while pouring its much better  in my thoughts.

Yeah, sounds good, I will look into it but ATM I happy, just spent money on a new BBQ/Smoker.

• Like 2

Took me awhile to balance my kegerator I am at 1.7mtr lines 4c and 13psi I reckon I could go to 12psi and 1.5mtr lines but I'm happy the way it pours now

I am used to the first 50 to 100ml of froth on the first pour but after that it's all good

What gets me is 30 to 40 mins later you get the 100ml of foam again and I have a font fan but it is what it is

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/16/2023 at 4:00 PM, Back Brewing said:

Took me awhile to balance my kegerator I am at 1.7mtr lines 4c and 13psi I reckon I could go to 12psi and 1.5mtr lines but I'm happy the way it pours now

I am used to the first 50 to 100ml of froth on the first pour but after that it's all good

What gets me is 30 to 40 mins later you get the 100ml of foam again and I have a font fan but it is what it is

Further to this I played around with the psi pressure and I have found the sweet spot is 9psi also I have started using pint glasses and now I can pour a beer all the time with a 2 finger head

Also at 9psi the set and forget method carbonates spot on so I'm now really happy with the way I have it balanced 

• Like 1

Ok guys thought I would re activate this thread instead of making a new one. Edit until @Back Brewing done it while I was typing 🤣.

I guess a rebuild is similar to a build just pulling it apart to do again fresh.

I hope some of my mistakes can help others in the future who decide to rebuild one. 

It all started off with a leaking nukatap through where the handle joins. See the red seal on tap shaft. I cant remember if done both taps the last time one went or not so just done them both even though only one had a leak.

Months later and alot of no action apart from ordering parts it's finally done. 

The pics of shank spacers is the question I asked on the kegging thread confused about having a different spacer and a washer compared to kegland set up video. 

Well I found spare tap shanks in shed with the ones kegland supply. Seems like a better fit and easier than trying to fit an extra washer within the tight area of the font.

I think my memory is trying to tell me the brew shop said it would make easier for modifying down the track I am yet to see that as Nukataps still fit the same.

And I should have double checked I had enough beer line to re do both. See colour difference between new line and old. My cleaning could have been more frequent as alot of times I flushed with water to be lazy.  

I also only learned of sodium perc in last year.  For 18 months I only sanitised and rinsed the line.  I now have to order more line and pull apart one of the taps at font to re do a liquid line.

Hope this helps someone else out thinking of a rebuild cheers.20231212_155728.thumb.jpg.8165438afda26ba48d3ea33c95031876.jpg

20231117_151724.jpg

20231211_155350.jpg

20231212_160936.jpg

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks for tagging me in.

Your nuts are twice as big as mine.

Yeah that is the large one from the extra stuff the brew store sold me years ago. I found along with the plastic washer/spacer it went okay.

Although as hard as I tried the 2 duotights collide and turn to the outside instead of facing down.

I wonder if that's the price of a large nut and I should try the smaller? Did you have trouble getting the shank facing straight down not pushing into side like mine?

2 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yeah that is the large one from the extra stuff the brew store sold me years ago. I found along with the plastic washer/spacer it went okay.

Although as hard as I tried the 2 duotights collide and turn to the outside instead of facing down.

I wonder if that's the price of a large nut and I should try the smaller? Did you have trouble getting the shank facing straight down not pushing into side like mine?

Mine is a 4 font tower, so it is pretty crowded, even though they are offset.  I do not know if the nut size will make a difference.  Initially I had a leak, because 2 Duotights were touching.  Duotights to solid metal are less forgiving than Duotights to flexible beer line.  Once I separated them, the problem was solved.  None of my shanks face straight down.

• Like 1