Coopers Community

Ashes 2023

Hilltop hops

5 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Phil. Ashes series are 5 Tests so another 3 to go. England has to win the next 3 Tests to take the Ashes, Australia has to win 1 to retain the Ashes. Australia also have the advantage of holding the Ashes so if the series ended 2 each we will retain the Ashes. We are sitting well in the series.

OK, Thanks I think 🤔

19 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Australia has to win 1 to retain the Ashes. Australia also have the advantage of holding the Ashes so if the series ended 2 each we will retain the Ashes. 

Without meaning to be pedantic, one more win, Australia wins the Ashes. If the series is drawn, then we retain.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Without meaning to be pedantic, one more win, Australia wins the Ashes. If the series is drawn, then we retain.

Fair enough @Pale Man, I should have prefaced it with "currently"

27 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

England has to win the next 3 Tests to take the Ashes, Australia has to win 1 to retain the Ashes. Australia also have the advantage of holding the Ashes so if the series ended 2 each we will retain the Ashes. We are sitting well in the series.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I think that the behaviour of the Members in the Long Room was appalling, a far cry from the traditions of the Long Room and the Members of the MCC.

Yeah but suppose it's like anything the amount that we're there compared to the amount causing trouble. I only saw small photos etc but the loud few make the rest look bad.

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Spot on, it was fair. The umpires hadnt called over and Carey threw the ball pretty much instantly. Word is Bairstow tried it two days ago on Labachagne but missed.

As for the Long Room Gits, too many warm pints of ale, backed up with copious glasses of sherry.

They all try it all the time that's why it's ridiculous the way they carried on with sour grapes. And yeah the warm beer probably didn't do any favours 😂

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

exactly right , wether they thought it was in the spirit or not,  and i bet  if johnny bairstowe did it lusbuschange these geezers wouldnt be saying nothging and patting johnny on the back.

sour grapes on them

Dead right buy saying in the spirit of the game is pointless and meaningless when you are walking out of the crease straight away. 

That is in comparison to a boxer not holding up guard. You deserve to get done. 

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Pale Man said:

We win the series with another win, but since we already hold the Ashes we retain them with either a series win or draw. 

And yeah, that stumping was completely fair. What was he doing wandering around like that anyway? We were always taught not to move out of the crease until the umpire calls over 😂

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

And yeah, that stumping was completely fair. What was he doing wandering around like that anyway? We were always taught not to move out of the crease until the umpire calls over 😂

Yep, also there is footage of Bairstow doing exactly the same thing to Labachagne, two days earlier..........But he bloody missed the stumps.

Hypocrites.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Yeah but suppose it's like anything the amount that we're there compared to the amount causing trouble. I only saw small photos etc but the loud few make the rest look bad.

It wasnt a loud few, Ive seen quite a bit of footage and it sounds as if over half the Long Room are yelling " Cheats "

Pompous old morons!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

It wasnt a loud few, Ive seen quite a bit of footage and it sounds as if over half the Long Room are yelling " Cheats "

Pompous old morons!!!

yeah ok I only saw a few things apparently only 3 got banned from members area for it must have been the ones that touched them. 

The video I saw I couldn't understand the pommy bstards lol

I reckon if you always play squeaky-clean you can whinge about "not being the spirit of the game", but only if you don't try that out yourself (which obvs. isn't the case).

As for the old duffers... they might want to water their Pimms down a bit, or go watch a football (or soccer if you must) match... it certainly isn't cricket 🏏

Pretty thrilling chase, but Stokes might regret that declaration as much as The Wanderer did his walk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How i see  The Carey stumping 

Soon as Bairstow ducked and stood up he walked out of his crease and as soon as the ball hit carey's glove he released it having a shot on stumps in which it hit and caught bairstowe out of his ground.    The umpire  would have seen carey  do this and rightfully didnt call over

now  day 1 the englishmen seem to forget that their own keeper , thats right Johnny Bairstow  tried to Stump lusbuschange in the very same fashion as Carey did to him, the only difference was  Bairstow missed the stumps.  

but lets think if Bairstrow had hit the wicket and Lusbuschange was out of his crease,  now would Stokes do what he said in his press conference and say in the spirit of the game we will give you that chance lusbuschange.  

if this was a stumping off a spinner  we would all be calling it fair game  not be even  having a conversation about it., but becuase it was a stumping from a pace bowler  the englishmen get into hysterics    thinking Australia are cheating again .   (We do have to cop the cheating remarks on the chin)  

As for the long room  the members they have brought the mcc into disrepute and the ring leader/s should be barred and the rest warnings  

Sure i can understand Bairstow's thoughts thinking its  end of over , but he made the fundemental mistake as others have said here   never leave the crease until the words from the umpires mouth says over.   Bairstow only assumed the ball was dead becuase it was the last ball of the over .   Assuming   its over  doesnt mean its over 

if anything  The english have sourgrapes and if they had of  done the same this contreversy decision wouldnt have made the papers and the englishmen would be all smiles

• Like 3

8 hours ago, stquinto said:

As for the old duffers... they might want to water their Pimms down a bit, or go watch a football (or soccer if you must) match... it certainly isn't cricket 🏏

It is said that the toffs in the Long Room will pale into insignificance compared to the Yorkshire crowd 10 pints deep on the Western Terrace at Leeds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, ozdevil said:

How i see  The Carey stumping 

Soon as Bairstow ducked and stood up he walked out of his crease and as soon as the ball hit carey's glove he released it having a shot on stumps in which it hit and caught bairstowe out of his ground.    The umpire  would have seen carey  do this and rightfully didnt call over

now  day 1 the englishmen seem to forget that their own keeper , thats right Johnny Bairstow  tried to Stump lusbuschange in the very same fashion as Carey did to him, the only difference was  Bairstow missed the stumps.  

but lets think if Bairstrow had hit the wicket and Lusbuschange was out of his crease,  now would Stokes do what he said in his press conference and say in the spirit of the game we will give you that chance lusbuschange.  

if this was a stumping off a spinner  we would all be calling it fair game  not be even  having a conversation about it., but becuase it was a stumping from a pace bowler  the englishmen get into hysterics    thinking Australia are cheating again .   (We do have to cop the cheating remarks on the chin)  

As for the long room  the members they have brought the mcc into disrepute and the ring leader/s should be barred and the rest warnings  

Sure i can understand Bairstow's thoughts thinking its  end of over , but he made the fundemental mistake as others have said here   never leave the crease until the words from the umpires mouth says over.   Bairstow only assumed the ball was dead becuase it was the last ball of the over .   Assuming   its over  doesnt mean its over 

if anything  The english have sourgrapes and if they had of  done the same this contreversy decision wouldnt have made the papers and the englishmen would be all smiles

Fair comment mate! People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw cricket balls, eh?

30 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

It is said that the toffs in the Long Room will pale into insignificance compared to the Yorkshire crowd 10 pints deep on the Western Terrace at Leeds.

True enough - in the UK press they were a bit “indulgent” of that lot, putting it down to “passion” for the game.

Anyway, three left, hard to see how Oz can lose, or at least keep the Ashes. Hopefully some more professional cricket and not just fireworks…

• Like 2

Now is this In the Spirit of the Game Stokes and Bairstow ?   waiting till the player lifts his foot  .  i bet the whinging pommys  will have a different perspective on this

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/cricket/the-ashes/bairstow-waits-for-batsman-to-lift-foot!861603?fbclid=IwAR2lk6LSXZxEyKJLT_zjZYYdxG6OgqREcbNZAKn8pa_VIChdd-_9l7GXMoY

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, stquinto said:

Anyway, three left, hard to see how Oz can lose, or at least keep the Ashes.

None of the next 3 Tests will last 5 days is my prediction. The Poms will ensure every pitch will get a result. It'll be a matter of which team wins the tosses and/or handles the conditions the best.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I heard about it in the Pub this afternoon, but as you know I won't be looking for it. 😬🤮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

they say there may be a few giveaways  in Australia  but will not be going on the shelves  but will have a few shipped over to the poms

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...