Coopers Community

Can you use normal sugar to brew your coopers beer when putting it in a keg instead on inchancer

Boss

9 minutes ago, Boss said:

I think I have got this right; you are asking can I brew with sugar instead of brew enhancer, I say no as it will taste awful & have no body, I think you mean putting it in the fermenter.

keg instead on inchancer

If you supply more detail, it would be easier to understand, Brew Enhancers are used in conjunction with the extracts & malts to complete a recipe.

Please list your recipe, the type of brew, ingredients used & the equipment you are using etc.

• Like 1

For extract brewing and depending on style probably go with either Liquid malt extract or Liquid Wheat malt extract as a first option, second, try Dry malt extract, next there's Coopers BE range (1, 2, and 3) and lastly and only if it suits the style (like a mega swill clone) go the white sugar.

I've found for a 23 liter volume wort in the FV  that anything above 300-400 grams of white sugar thins the body of the beer substantially and can even impart a perceived cider taste to it. 

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 1

All above are pretty right.

I used sugar for a few years. ( tight arse lol) Beer was drinkable  but I never recommend it now. Depends what you like I guess.

But IMO BE3 is a good start or just malt, of any type really. Depends what you making.

LDME is popular. I use it for 80% of my brews at the moment, 500grams, mainly because I got a great deal a few months ago & grabbed 10kg. The darker versions are great in ales and stouts.

• Like 2

I'm about to find out but not with Coopers.
On the journey of further experimentation I've just put down a tin of Woolies "Larger" with 800g of white sugar + 400g dextrose. Added 15g of hot steeped PoR hops because these WW tins are as bland as a cucumber sandwich.
I'm not expecting award winning beer. My goal is to make a drinkable beer. If successful it'll equate to a slab (24 x 375ml) for $5.80. You could say $6 if I bottle it but I haven't decided if I'll bottle or keg it yet.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Malter White said:

On the journey of further experimentation I've just put down a tin of Woolies "Larger" with 800g of white sugar + 400g dextrose. Added 15g of hot steeped PoR hops because these WW tins are as bland as a cucumber sandwich.
I'm not expecting award winning beer. My goal is to make a drinkable beer. If successful it'll equate to a slab (24 x 375ml) for $5.80. You could say $6 if I bottle it but I haven't decided if I'll bottle or keg it yet.

Doesn't hurt to try ol sausage. If you make something " You " like. Then you've won the battle. If not, then tweak it a tiny bit until you do like it.

I often think about putting down an el cheapo kit with kilo of sugar and kegging it. After all these days with temp control and sanitary practices so much better. It cant be as bad as the old days.

Can It???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Doesn't hurt to try ol sausage. If you make something " You " like. Then you've won the battle. If not, then tweak it a tiny bit until you do like it.

I often think about putting down an el cheapo kit with kilo of sugar and kegging it. After all these days with temp control and sanitary practices so much better. It cant be as bad as the old days.

Can It???

Exactly right, Paley. I've read so much about, "don't do this or don't do that",  but taste is subjective and I need to find out for myself. I might just make a beer I like. Who knows until they try? If it doesn't turn out too well, I've SPLURGED a total of about $15 in the name of science. I spent that much on one beer in Singapore that tasted like an unwiped ar$e.

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I spent that much on one beer in Singapore that tasted like an unwiped ar$e.

I'll take your word for it on that. Ive done lots of things in my life. But never tasted an unwiped ar$e 🤣

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

Those Woolies brand cans look like they come from Coopers, TBH.  I doubt that Woolies set up their own LME canning facility, much more likely they are produced by Coopers under contract with a new label and cap slapped on.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Those Woolies brand cans look like they come from Coopers, TBH.  I doubt that Woolies set up their own LME canning facility, much more likely they are produced by Coopers under contract with a new label and cap slapped on.

I've heard the same for a lot of years, but with one other home brew producer thrown in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

As with just about all "home brand" products, they're made by "brand" manufacturers. Some say it could be Morgan's. I don't know.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malter White said:

if you discover an easy way of taking the white caps off the woolies can, please let me know. every single time i've tried i've punctured the paltry 5g yeast sachet whilst doing so.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Stickers said:

if you discover an easy way of taking the white caps off the woolies can, please let me know. every single time i've tried i've punctured the paltry 5g yeast sachet whilst doing so.

I don't know any easy way. I just use what brute strength I have left in my almost arthritic hands. Can't say I've ever damaged the yeast packets though.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Malter White said:

Exactly right, Paley. I've read so much about, "don't do this or don't do that",  but taste is subjective and I need to find out for myself. I might just make a beer I like. Who knows until they try? If it doesn't turn out too well, I've SPLURGED a total of about $15 in the name of science. I spent that much on one beer in Singapore that tasted like an unwiped ar$e.

Why not. Did a couple about 15 years ago. If I recall correctly like a very light lager.  Some would like it.

Why don't you just make it up to say, ,,, 18 litres. That should help it. That's 24 long necks.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 4:15 PM, Malter White said:

I'm going to keg this today. Tasted a flat sample of it this morning and so far so good. Tasted like beer. Fancy that. 

• Like 4