Coopers Community

Can you use normal sugar to brew your coopers beer when putting it in a keg instead on inchancer

Boss

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

All the Tight Wads await you answer!

Of which I am one. Having said that and while I appreciate all the advice I've received here over the years, I've come to realise much of that advice is based on personal taste and taste is very subjective. Example: Our forum friend, @Classic Brewing Co, despises VB. Nothing wrong with that. That's his preference. However, VB was Australia's market leading beer for decades. Classic isn't wrong (for his tastes) but neither were the drinkers that made VB no.1.
What I'm trying to say is: be adventurous and discover what you like and try making it.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Malter White said:

Having said that and while I appreciate all the advice I've received here over the years, I've come to realise much of that advice is based on personal taste and taste is very subjective.

So True, we all should brew to Our tastes

And some will brew to their tastes and pocket (self included)!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Malter White said:

Of which I am one. Having said that and while I appreciate all the advice I've received here over the years, I've come to realise much of that advice is based on personal taste and taste is very subjective. Example: Our forum friend, @Classic Brewing Co, despises VB. Nothing wrong with that. That's his preference. However, VB was Australia's market leading beer for decades. Classic isn't wrong (for his tastes) but neither were the drinkers that made VB no.1.
What I'm trying to say is: be adventurous and discover what you like and try making it.

Hey Malter,

I have never been a Tight Wad & strive to make the best beer I can, so no cost cutting at Classic Brewing Co. There may have been a time in the 70's/80's when we were mucking about with the brewing products/methods available to us we brewed beer because it was cheaper than going to the pub.

Of course, it tasted like swamp water, but we were happy because all of the empty longneck bottles of Southwark & West End Draught were filled with the horrid stuff. There were a few gaps in my brewing journey due to travelling etc. but as the years went by technology & brewing techniques had improved & there was more equipment available making the whole process easier & of course better tasting beer.

These days I brew to taste & I don't care about the price (within reason) as I want to make a beer better than I can get at the pub.

Regarding VB, well that is not the only beer I despise but it is easy to get around - I just don't buy it.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
oops, slipped, posted before I finished.
  • Like 4

On 4/1/2023 at 8:16 PM, Malter White said:

Absolutely agree with ya Malter. We should spend more effort appreciating each others opinions and methods, rather than poo pooing.  After all, one mans or lady's meat is another mans poison. Taste is definitely subjective. I'm guilty of it myself, when I compare extract to all grain and the so called twang. That twang may not be a bad thing, but just a flavour. I've made some absolute shocking all grains, and some lovely extract beers. 

In fact ive just found out something very recently from our @Hoppy81 that would have considerably improved my extract beers ten fold without a doubt, in regard to our tap water. That may have rid me of the twang. The proof is in my last two all grain beers.

As far as VB goes, its all subjective, and just using it as an example. I think its a great beer, ice cold after you've had a working day. A lot of people agree, a lot dont. I enjoy a wide variety of beers and VB is always up there. I cant fault it.

Anyway, my point being. You do you and thats all that matters.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Absolutely agree with ya Malter. We should spend more effort appreciating each others opinions and methods, rather than poo pooing.  After all, one mans or lady's meat is another mans poison. Taste is definitely subjective. I'm guilty of it myself, when I compare extract to all grain and the so called twang. That twang may not be a bad thing, but just a flavour. I've made some absolute shocking all grains, and some lovely extract beers. 

In fact ive just found out something very recently from our @Hoppy81 that would have considerably improved my extract beers ten fold without a doubt, in regard to our tap water. That may have rid me of the twang. The proof is in my last two all grain beers.

As far as VB goes, its all subjective, and just using it as an example. I think its a great beer, ice cold after you've had a working day. A lot of people agree, a lot dont. I enjoy a wide variety of beers and VB is always up there. I cant fault it.

Anyway, my point being. You do you and thats all that matters.

100% mate, as long as you are happy, that's all that matters.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 4:15 PM, Malter White said:

I'm about to find out but not with Coopers.
On the journey of further experimentation I've just put down a tin of Woolies "Larger" with 800g of white sugar + 400g dextrose. Added 15g of hot steeped PoR hops because these WW tins are as bland as a cucumber sandwich.
I'm not expecting award winning beer. My goal is to make a drinkable beer. If successful it'll equate to a slab (24 x 375ml) for $5.80. You could say $6 if I bottle it but I haven't decided if I'll bottle or keg it yet.

I kegged most of it and did a few bottles.

Tastes surprisingly good. Blind tested it with my son and a few friends and all approved of it. Then I told them what it was.

Absolutely no head retention though. Perhaps a small malt addition might be required next time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1