Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I think this is the last bottle of my “Dark Monk” Three month old and so good. Peppery, sweet and malty with a great thick head and mouthfeel. Pity it’s finished but definitely one to brew next year again 

IMG_7557.jpeg

Where did you get the Dark Monk recipe @Brauhaus Fritz?

Edited by Kegory
?

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

Nevermind, I found it. "The Dark Monk."

It's a nice winter beer as it's nicer drunk at roomish temperature and not super chilled. Really liked it. Here are my specs:

• The Dark Monk
  • Dark Ale
  • ABV 5.1
  • OG 1052
  • FG 1018
  • 23l
  • Morgan's Blue Mountain Lager
  • TCAME1.5kg 
  • LDM 500gr
  • Light Crystal Malt
  • 100grWillamette 
  • Kit Yeast  
  • Safbrew T-58
  • Chocolate Malt 250gr
  • 15 days fermented
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2023 at 3:31 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Day 5 in the keg for the Coopers Real Ale, first try, a good body with a malty backbone, nicely carbed & there is a crisp bitter finish rounded with the POR hops added 4 days before kegging x 50gms.

This is a good all-rounder & should suit most palates.

20230825_144749.thumb.jpg.e72546988514280204e1471a55e2c0ad.jpg

Bought a can of Real Ale at the BigW sale. Thought of adding BE2 and some LDM, or shall I substitute it with some Caramalt infusion, or maybe both?

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Bought a can of Real Ale at the BigW sale. Thought of adding BE2 and some LDM, or shall I substitute it with some Caramalt infusion, or maybe both?

The more grain you can add to a can the better in my opinion.  If you have or can get hold of a 20 litre pot, a partial mash is so bloody easy.  Ive got a can of Real Ale coming from Hoppy. Probably add around 3 kilo of ale malt, which I'll mill on the day. Cant beat the freshness of grain.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

The more grain you can add to a can the better in my opinion.  If you have or can get hold of a 20 litre pot, a partial mash is so bloody easy.  Ive got a can of Real Ale coming from Hoppy. Probably add around 3 kilo of ale malt, which I'll mill on the day. Cant beat the freshness of grain.

I added 200gm of Carapils, it was awesome, but I agree, a bit more of say a pale malt of something would give it wings. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I added 200gm of Carapils, it was awesome, but I agree, a bit more of say a pale malt of something would give it wings. 

I'll mash 3 kilo of grain and add to the Real Ale can, and nothing else. Thats a true partial mash.

I may think of some extra hops, but probably not. The Real Ale is meant to be a malty brew. And has a good bitterness within the can. On tap this will be a lovely beer.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I'll mash 3 kilo of grain and add to the Real Ale can, and nothing else. Thats a true partial mash.

I may think of some extra hops, but probably not. The Real Ale is meant to be a malty brew. And has a good bitterness within the can. On tap this will be a lovely beer.

I can confirm that, I had a couple of neighbours over tonight trying the week old RA in the keg & it is what you say,malty  but mine has nice bitterness finishing with a hop bite as per my previous posts regarding the 4 day late addition  

I will brew this for a keg filler anytime. 

• Like 3

Last night's Taste Test Challenge: my Coopers Pale Ale, a.k.a. 001, bottled 6/5/23, conditioned 16 days, vs Coopers Brewery Original Pale Ale,, a.k.a. Coopers Green, Best After 25/3/2021.

IMG_20230828_201108188.thumb.jpg.ae7f368f065abe88e33879b1e4fe2c92.jpg

001, poured first, has a better head a is a shade or two darker than Green. 001 has more of a grainy/bready aroma with a chlorine/chloramine presence lurking not far away. Green has lost that distinctive COPA aroma and presents as vaguely malty.

001's chlorine/chloramine twang has continued to fade but still impinges on the bitter, bready COPA flavour. Green has lost its bitterness and breadiness and all that remains is a slight maltiness.

Green still has better carbonation and a slightly better head retention in the final phases and slightly better lacing.

That, I think, is going to be the final Taste Test Challenge for these two batches. Neither of these were enjoyable to drink and I didn't finish either of them. As far as data goes I think they've provided enough, although I'll retain the electric light exposed clear bottles of 001 a little longer to find out if they suffer any skunking. As for the rest of 001 and Best After 25/3/2021 the contents are destined for the sink and the bottles returned to circulation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

Last night's Taste Test Challenge: my Coopers Pale Ale, a.k.a. 001, bottled 6/5/23, conditioned 16 days, vs Coopers Brewery Original Pale Ale,, a.k.a. Coopers Green, Best After 25/3/2021.

IMG_20230828_201108188.thumb.jpg.ae7f368f065abe88e33879b1e4fe2c92.jpg

001, poured first, has a better head a is a shade or two darker than Green. 001 has more of a grainy/bready aroma with a chlorine/chloramine presence lurking not far away. Green has lost that distinctive COPA aroma and presents as vaguely malty.

001's chlorine/chloramine twang has continued to fade but still impinges on the bitter, bready COPA flavour. Green has lost its bitterness and breadiness and all that remains is a slight maltiness.

Green still has better carbonation and a slightly better head retention in the final phases and slightly better lacing.

That, I think, is going to be the final Taste Test Challenge for these two batches. Neither of these were enjoyable to drink and I didn't finish either of them. As far as data goes I think they've provided enough, although I'll retain the electric light exposed clear bottles of 001 a little longer to find out if they suffer any skunking. As for the rest of 001 and Best After 25/3/2021 the contents are destined for the sink and the bottles returned to circulation.

You're throwing away Coopers Pale Ale best after 25/3/21?

4 hours ago, Kegory said:

Disappointing that you had to tip the green out!

I am wondering if you "rolled" the bottle before opening it. (not the Homebrew, the green)

For me, rather than tip, I would have added a bit of stout to even out the flavour.

But as we say " Each to their Own"

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Disappointing that you had to tip the green out!

I am wondering if you "rolled" the bottle before opening it. (not the Homebrew, the green)

For me, rather than tip, I would have added a bit of stout to even out the flavour.

But as we say " Each to their Own"

I've still got a couple of bottles of the 2022 vintage left and they still taste good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kegory said:

Yep, it's done. It was still ok in early July but it hasn't made it to late August. 

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/12632-todays-tastings/?do=findComment&comment=301934

I have my doubts that a bottle of Coopers Pale Ale is " done "  after 2 years of best after date. Probably depends a lot on how its stored. If you didnt store it properly if you planned to keep it that long, thats your issue not Coopers.

Ive tasted Pale Ale, Sparkling Ale and Stout much older and they improve.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

2 1/2 years old. Doesn't surprise me at all. A stout might be different. 

Depends on how its stored I suppose. Coopers beers are one for longevity if stored correctly. I've tasted all three Ales aged. Not one of them I would have thrown out. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I have my doubts that a bottle of Coopers Pale Ale is " done "  after 2 years of best after date. Probably depends a lot on how its stored. If you didnt store it properly if you planned to keep it that long, thats your issue not Coopers.

Ive tasted Pale Ale, Sparkling Ale and Stout much older and they improve.

Why do you think it's an issue?

Coopers say the new long necks are not suitable for re-use. When I found that out I bought up every one of the old long necks I could find and stored them in a box next to my fridge.

I'm not complaining about it. I'm simply stating that that particular batch is done. You can doubt all you like but I've drank several dozen of them this year and I can assure you that both the bottles with that Best After date that I've had in the last couple of weeks are past their best.

If you want the last remaining bottle I'll mail it to you. PM me your address.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

PM me your address.

Yeah I don't give my address away to strangers. I'm old enough to know better. There's only two here I would.

That doesn't change my opinion because I've been there and done it myself.

• Haha 2

“The Old Fritz” is getting even better with age. Two and a half month in the bottle and it’s getting a beautiful thick head and smooth flavour. And for “only” 4.5% it is a nice heavy beer. I think in the future I’ll soo another roadtrip to Peakhurst to get a few more different ESB cans.

IMG_7563.thumb.jpeg.d52167be9cd62eaa75eec042131c1c0b.jpeg

And by the way, nothing beats the feeling of an old Coopers bottle 

IMG_7567.thumb.jpeg.da3f822c26527174a6f3e5b28a0daed9.jpeg

• Like 7