Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

16 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Pickle Sour Beer - Funnily does not actually have any pickles in it (I was going to add it, but when I tasted the brew late in the fermentation, I thought it was enough).

• Smells like a jar of pickles
  • Tastes like liquid pickles
  • Faint chili burn on the lips
  • Has a dryness from the salt addition
  • Very close to what I was hoping for

IMG_3824.JPG.9a75c5e99a0b0c971a7b9272256f7b4a.JPG

I think this could be a ROTM very easily with say 

• Australian Pale Ale
  • Coopers Wheat Malt Extract
  • Packet of Pickle Spice
  • 1.2g Chili Powder
  • 28g Salt
  • Boil the above 3 ingredients for 10 minutes
  • Ferment with Lallemand Philly Sour yeast

Having suggested that, I know some people who have tried a Pickle Beer and hate it.

I love pickle juice, maybe I will give this a go? 🤔

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kegory said:

I've been neglecting 002's Taste Test Challenges so here it is: Coopers Sparkling Ale by The O'Connorwery, bottled 22/5/23, vs Coopers Brewery Sparkling Ale, a.k.a. Coopers Red, Best Before 7/8/23.

IMG_20230725_183651656.thumb.jpg.6beb258c1f9b869b94f6bc4815f695d7.jpg

002 poured a nice head but Red's was better and had better retention. Red had a distinct bready aroma with a hint of malt. I could detect a similar aroma from 002 but it was more muted.

Red had fine effervescence rising through the center. 002 had quite bigger bubbles clinging to the glass.

Red tasted malty, bready and bitter. 002 was bitter, sweeter, a bit bready, but the chloramine twang (more on that in late August/early September) made it's presence known in the middle and lingered at the end. Red had a small amount of sustained lacing. 002 had none.

Red is still the clear winner but 002 has gained clarity and reduced sweetness since the first taste test challenge.

In 002's defence, several times I did have to look down to check which one I was actually drinking. When I'm concentrating the distinctions between the two beers are quite stark but when I'm distracted the two are a lot closer.

Love the labels mate! 👍🏻😎

• Thanks 1

I am now enjoying my ROTM Old Town Lager. This is my first partial mash. I was so unsure whether I was cracking the grains right; but I must have been, because it has turned into very yummy beer. It has taken me a few days to get used to it, as I have been on a pale ale/hoppy bender. Reading the very 'poetic' description in the recipe, I think I have ticked most of the boxes. "Aromas of biscuit, accompanied by floral herbal notes" Yes. "Malty toasty flavours imparting a sweetness brought over by the German malt and yeast." Yes. "Followed by a clean finish". Yes. However, I have not achieved a "Thick, white, snowy head". 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

And there's more....

Hoppy meets Annie (AKA Elton) so the keg was relieved of a few more litres of my precious IPA 😬

20230726_134406.thumb.jpg.993b98ae2a4a4ebbd9d9574033857c8b.jpg

Those nails are terrifying haha, cheers mate, good to catch up.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I am now enjoying my ROTM Old Town Lager. This is my first partial mash. I was so unsure whether I was cracking the grains right; but I must have been, because it has turned into very yummy beer. It has taken me a few days to get used to it, as I have been on a pale ale/hoppy bender. Reading the very 'poetic' description in the recipe, I think I have ticked most of the boxes. "Aromas of biscuit, accompanied by floral herbal notes" Yes. "Malty toasty flavours imparting a sweetness brought over by the German malt and yeast." Yes. "Followed by a clean finish". Yes. However, I have not achieved a "Thick, white, snowy head". 

Good one Jenny, I am glad you like the different style of beer, you have done well, Achieving the tight white snowy head takes a bit of work although there so many factors that contribute to it, it is endless. 

Possibly glass bottles may give you a better result, changing the yeast also the type of glass you are serving it from are also points to consider.

(I won't start the beer clean glass saga again as we all know what happens then 🤣)

The old saying "practice makes perfect"  is pretty true.

Maybe just for the experience you should consider a Fresh Wort Kit to step up the ladder, all you need to do is transfer it into the FV, add the yeast, Nottingham is great & ferment it for 14 days & you have an All-Grain beer that will give you a nice head.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

Well Done

I'm not into Lager but I admire the way you have "Stepped it Up" Enjoy your brew.

It's not hard to get the Thick, white head.

As others have said..

Two liters of cold water in the fermenter and the box of whatever..

Pick it up and swirl it for a short time, it mixes really well.

A small steep of some grain (you've done it now and you know it's not that hard) and you will be amazed at the difference.

Carapils, Light Crystal malt, or even Golden Naked Oats, ya can't miss!

Cheers 🍻

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

Well done. You've come a long way. Keep it up! Now compare this to your very first brew.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

@Hoppy81 called in on his way back to Whyalla & we had a couple of IPA's out of the tap, he delivered a small order of kegging supplies to me & it was good to catch up again.

20230726_132825.thumb.jpg.04bf02b1b15ff48130ec7b89659d3093.jpg

Did the boy sort your keg issue out Phil 🙂

3 hours ago, jennyss said:

Well done Jenny sit back and enjoy it with a smile knowing you have taken the next step 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jennyss said:

Love your work jenny.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Now compare this to your very first brew.

My first brew was also a lager: the Coopers Lager extract and packet of BE2 that came with my kit. Brew no. 25, the Old Town Lager is very different - much better. Not sure where I'll go from here. Think I'll try some more of Cooper's extracts, and some of the partial mash ROTM's.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

My first brew was also a lager: the Coopers Lager extract and packet of BE2 that came with my kit. Brew no. 25, the Old Town Lager is very different - much better. Not sure where I'll go from here. Think I'll try some more of Cooper's extracts, and some of the partial mash ROTM's.

I know I said this before Jenny, but if you want a real tasting beer, try a FWK, you won't be sorry, less work & tastes great.

You can order them online or any decent LHBS should carry them.

I know your location could be different from your previous posts.

• Like 1