Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

Coopers Lager K&K after 8 months in the bottle - crystal clear and no kit twang! Actually pretty good, this is my Sunday arvo sorted 👍🏻

cooperslager.thumb.jpg.072c3c3fd290c4cb044f063eb1132ab0.jpg

diary.thumb.jpg.d53827a96274781accb812b2c0fdccfa.jpg

After letting it go for 8 months, there is good head and retention, not so bitter, and very clean with no twang at all.

Edited by Cheap Charlie
added pic
  • Like 9

54 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Coopers Lager K&K after 8 months in the bottle - crystal clear and no kit twang! Actually pretty good, this is my Sunday arvo sorted 👍🏻

cooperslager.thumb.jpg.072c3c3fd290c4cb044f063eb1132ab0.jpg

diary.thumb.jpg.d53827a96274781accb812b2c0fdccfa.jpg

After letting it go for 8 months, there is good head and retention, not so bitter, and very clean with no twang at all.

Wow, 8 months! Am I reading that right, bottled after 4 days? What yeast did you use?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kegory said:

Wow, 8 months! Am I reading that right, bottled after 4 days? What yeast did you use?

3 hours ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Coopers Commercial yeast harvested from coopers pale ale.. i harvested the trub from the previous batch

I guess it was a bit of an over pitch more than likely, can't remember back that far 😂, but boy did it go to work and produce a clean brew! Yeah, 4 days I figured it was done, but really it was 80% attenuated in 2 days. It's a good clean yeast, as good as US-05 or BRY-97.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I guess it was a bit of an over pitch more than likely, can't remember back that far 😂, but boy did it go to work and produce a clean brew! Yeah, 4 days I figured it was done, but really it was 80% attenuated in 2 days. It's a good clean yeast, as good as US-05 or BRY-97.

Are you using a RAPT Pill or something similar?

• Like 1

Just now, Kegory said:

Are you using a RAPT Pill or something similar?

Yes. If I can get the damned thing to talk to my wifi router which is less than 1m away! 😡

At that stage the rapt pill was working fine and it enabled me to pick the time to bottle early, hence the 4 days.

With a little more experience, I have found you can do that, but sometimes better just to leave the brew on the cake for a while longer 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Kegory said:

With my new found love of taking notes I'm curious to find out if there's any information I'm not recording. I love it when people post their brewing notes.

Brewing notes are important, I brewed K & K for years & started additions etc. & I kept detailed notes of every brew, still do.

Now I do mainly AG brews but most of them are recoded in BrewFather app.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Brewing notes are important, I brewed K & K for years & started additions etc. & I kept detailed notes of every brew, still do.

Now I do mainly AG brews but most of them are recoded in BrewFather app.

Yeah, I've found that my notes really help. I try to keep the same format, so that means I flick back to the previous brew's notes. That means I get to read my oversights and errors, hopefully meaning I don't repeat them. I reckon I would have forgotten to take an OG reading at least a couple of times if I wasn't referring back to my previous notes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kegory said:

With my new found love of taking notes I'm curious to find out if there's any information I'm not recording. I love it when people post their brewing notes.

My notes are attrocious, and when I refer back to them, quite often there is missing information and sometimes they leave me scratching my head 🙄

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Cheap Charlie said:

My notes are attrocious, and when I refer back to them, quite often there is missing information and sometimes they leave me scratching my head 🙄

Mine are pretty simple but it's good to go back & see what yeast, hops you used etc.

20230315_065732.thumb.jpg.8194b0b22a518d35c793fbdec977132b.jpg

20230509_083311.thumb.jpg.99c60a99ba9583212dd01f027f057b65.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 4

At the moment I'm drinking a Coopers extract Australian Pale Ale with 25g Galaxy hops steeped and added at mixing time (very basic, will not repeat - was caught short with no LDM etc); and another Coopers Aust. Pale Ale with 25g steeped Amarillo hops added at mixing time along with 500g LDM; and 25g Citra steeped and added 2 days before bottling.

The second brew is much yummier, and my notes will definitely help repeat what I like and avoid what I don't like. Here is a page of my notes from last year. I did post it earlier.

Brew book.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jennyss said:

At the moment I'm drinking a Coopers extract Australian Pale Ale with 25g Galaxy hops steeped and added at mixing time (very basic, will not repeat - was caught short with no LDM etc); and another Coopers Aust. Pale Ale with 25g steeped Amarillo hops added at mixing time along with 500g LDM; and 25g Citra steeped and added 2 days before bottling.

The second brew is much yummier, and my notes will definitely help repeat what I like and avoid what I don't like. Here is a page of my notes from last year. I did post it earlier.

Brew book.jpg

Great Stuff Jenny. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

001, Coopers Pale Ale. This one is from my carbonation experiments: 1.5 carbonation drops in 500ml.

IMG_20230619_190603806.thumb.jpg.07aab162bbff0e5a49b115d2b3fdabf5.jpg

It smells like Cooper's Green, it's got a nice colour and clarity. The head, lacing and carbonation are pretty good but it's still got some twang. I think that's fading but it's hard to be sure.

I wasn't sure if I was going to do carbonation experiments right from the beginning but I'm now glad I did. I thought I'd use up all the drops I got with my first order (5 kits) but I ended up switching to scooping powdered sugar on the third batch.

Here are my brewing notes.

IMG_20230619_165131243.thumb.jpg.8c70e8f35eda0509fd4d6f43d2cd8d12.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Kegory said:

001, Coopers Pale Ale. This one is from my carbonation experiments: 1.5 carbonation drops in 500ml.

IMG_20230619_190603806.thumb.jpg.07aab162bbff0e5a49b115d2b3fdabf5.jpg

It smells like Cooper's Green, it's got a nice colour and clarity. The head, lacing and carbonation are pretty good but it's still got some twang. I think that's fading but it's hard to be sure.

I wasn't sure if I was going to do carbonation experiments right from the beginning but I'm now glad I did. I thought I'd use up all the drops I got with my first order (5 kits) but I ended up switching to scooping powdered sugar on the third batch.

Here are my brewing notes.

IMG_20230619_165131243.thumb.jpg.8c70e8f35eda0509fd4d6f43d2cd8d12.jpg

Nice carbonation and head on that mate it looks good

I keg my beer and don't get the twang that I was dreading I'm going to open a bottle from a batch next week and see if the twang is there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

002, Coopers Sparkling Ale. This is another carbonation experiment: 1.5 carbonation drops in 650ml. I also experimented with a longer conditioning time than 001, 21 days vs 16 days.

There were a few other changes, too, basically better temperature control.

IMG_20230619_193612471.thumb.jpg.ccd9fc97eda412b99c450a4344dac87a.jpg

The aroma is in the ball park of Coopers Red but not on the field of play. It's ok, though. The colour is significantly darker than the beer it purports to be, and it's more opaque. The head is ok and although it reduces quickly a little of it lingers. There is no lacing to speak of, and there are nowhere near enough bubbles for a "sparkling" ale.

It tasted ok, if a little too sweet. The mouthfeel is good. And here comes the but: I can barely detect any twang. I'll take that.

Here are my brewing notes. See on page two where I tap the ledge prior to bottling, having forgotten to do so when bottling 001.

IMG_20230619_165525632.thumb.jpg.891fc1262fd93512d5592ebd99acaa19.jpg

IMG_20230619_165557804.thumb.jpg.92c2df46fd35c6de51d8f68ad6bde6ca.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kegory said:

002, Coopers Sparkling Ale. This is another carbonation experiment: 1.5 carbonation drops in 650ml. I also experimented with a longer conditioning time than 001, 21 days vs 16 days.

There were a few other changes, too, basically better temperature control.

IMG_20230619_193612471.thumb.jpg.ccd9fc97eda412b99c450a4344dac87a.jpg

The aroma is in the ball park of Coopers Red but not on the field of play. It's ok, though. The colour is significantly darker than the beer it purports to be, and it's more opaque. The head is ok and although it reduces quickly a little of it lingers. There is no lacing to speak of, and there are nowhere near enough bubbles for a "sparkling" ale.

It tasted ok, if a little too sweet. The mouthfeel is good. And here comes the but: I can barely detect any twang. I'll take that.

Here are my brewing notes. See on page two where I tap the ledge prior to bottling, having forgotten to do so when bottling 001.

IMG_20230619_165525632.thumb.jpg.891fc1262fd93512d5592ebd99acaa19.jpg

IMG_20230619_165557804.thumb.jpg.92c2df46fd35c6de51d8f68ad6bde6ca.jpg

Looks OK to me why tap the ledge and with what?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Looks OK to me why tap the ledge and with what?

Somebody, I can't remember who, said they always tap the ledge above the tap before bottling because a bit of sediment always accrues there and as the level reduces some of that is drawn down and gets into the bottles.

I commented "good tip, I hope I remember to do that." Of course I didn't, at least not until afterwards.

Just with my knuckles.

Edited by Kegory
Last line
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

As frustrating home-brewing sometimes can be, as satisfying it is other times. This is probably the clearest brew I ever made, without cold crashing. A COPA k&k. And it tastes great too

IMG_7049.png

IMG_7048.png

You could just about read the newspaper through that. Probably only the curvature of the glass would make it difficult.

• Haha 2