Coopers Community

LOOKING TOWARD 2023 - BREWING PLANS

Classic Brewing Co

Hi Brewers,

2023 is almost upon us & I have been looking into ideas & ways to increase & streamline my brews.

I still do a few extracts brews simply for their simplicity & create fridge fillers. This also gives me a few bottles to travel with & share.

I have an AG set-up, Brew Zilla & all accessories so I intend to produce more AG brews as I have added 2 more kegs to the brewery, it is my intention to have 4 different beers on tap & generally create back-up stock.

I may have to look at another brew fridge & an additional temp control unit, I will go for the Inkbird with wifi.

So, I was wondering if anyone has any plans for the new year to enhance your brewing.

Happy Brewing.

• Like 4

I was planning on doing partial mashes, as I only have one pot and not the room or full setup to do AG.. yet. I will also 'perfect' my pacific ale style to get a daily driver. Also on the cards is a hazy ipa, and a stout for winter. I also want to give the kveik yeast a crack. Newbie upping his game here.. level up! 😎

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I was planning on doing partial mashes, as I only have one pot and not the room or full setup to do AG.. yet. I will also 'perfect' my pacific ale style to get a daily driver. Also on the cards is a hazy ipa, and a stout for winter. I also want to give the kveik yeast a crack. Newbie upping his game here.. level up! 😎

Good on you, your brewery will grow in time & as they say the Rabbit Hole will get deeper 🐇 in time we all find ways to increase our brewing methods/equipment.

Kveik yeast is a beauty, very versatile & fast. It is great for the Australian climate as you are able to produce great beers without temperature control. 

• Like 3

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

Good on you, your brewery will grow in time & as they say the Rabbit Hole will get deeper 🐇 in time we all find ways to increase our brewing methods/equipment.

Kveik yeast is a beauty, very versatile & fast. It is great for the Australian climate as you are able to produce great beers without temperature control. 

Yeah, gets pretty warm up here in banana bender land, but I feel for Radelaideans atm with 39º 😥.  Kveik may just be the ticket.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Yeah, gets pretty warm up here in banana bender land, but I feel for Radelaideans atm with 39º 😥.  Kveik may just be the ticket.

I am lucky I live near the beach, yesterday hit 38.6c & I didn't even have a fan on, today is expected to be 40c+ but it still doesn't bother me as I don't feel the heat that much.

Obviously, I have an A/C, ceiling fans/portable fans etc so they are there if needed.

Yes, you can brew successfully without temp control using kveik & some others, but you must take other measures to keep the room temp constant.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

We are building a new house so looking to move mid/late 2023.

So I am responsible for organising the bbq & brewing area, so the boss has given me permission to purchase this, along with a pizza oven, happy days ahead. 

WOW RD, that's amazing, you will be like a 🐷 in 💩 with that set-up.

Good to see you getting your priorities right - Beer & Pizza 👍

• Haha 2

My brewing plans for 2023 are modest, but still exciting. Because of space restrictions we'll stick to extract brewing with just one FV; but we need to speed up production - no down time for the FV! I would also like to experiment with hops and maybe yeast. A good start might be to try a Coopers Recipe of the Month kit. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jennyss said:

My brewing plans for 2023 are modest, but still exciting. Because of space restrictions we'll stick to extract brewing with just one FV; but we need to speed up production - no down time for the FV! I would also like to experiment with hops and maybe yeast. A good start might be to try a Coopers Recipe of the Month kit. 

Excellent idea Jenny as some of those come with a small amount of grain for you to steep & add the liquid to the wort for an even better brew.

That would advance you brewing techniques & take you beer to the next level.

Just follow the directions & you will be fine.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I second Phil's nomination: Excellent idea.

My sixth brew and my first Recipe of the Month (ROTM) was Hop Slam IPA (NZ Riwaka) back in May 2017.   I have done heaps of them since then.  They are a bit pricey.  They claim free delivery, but given their price, I reckon it is wrapped up in the price.  But they are really convenient, you get all the necessary ingredients in the pack, they are delivered to your front door, somebody else comes up with the recipe and they come with good instructions. 

You can source the ingredients separately and save a few dollars.  However, sometimes getting hold of some of the specific hops or grains can be difficult.

You usually need to get in quick though.  They sometimes sell out on the day they are released.  Do you get the email notification when they are released?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jennyss said:

@Shamus O'Sean, I'm glad you and @Classic Brewing Colike my plan to try Coopers ROTM. I see the ROTM notices on the Coopers web page; I will get on their email list too. I have noticed that the kits sell out quickly.

Yep, Shamus is on the money, if you failed to get a ROTM kit a decent LHBS should be able to supply the ingredients to suit.

You mentioned you have one in Dubbo I think, otherwise there are plenty of online options.

I have done a few ROTM's but I have sourced all of the ingredients locally, we are spoilt for choice of LHBS in this area.

13 hours ago, jennyss said:

@Shamus O'Sean, I'm glad you and @Classic Brewing Colike my plan to try Coopers ROTM. I see the ROTM notices on the Coopers web page; I will get on their email list too. I have noticed that the kits sell out quickly.

To help you find it, it has been a while but I think it is:

• Click on your Name/Picture near the top right of the Forums page
  • Click on Account Settings
  • Click on Notification Settings
  • Find Newsletter and select "Email" to get the notifications.
  • Thanks 2

To get the bug back, I have recently done 2 x FWK's from KL & 2 x K&K's just to get full kegs in the fridge.

Plans are to spend a little time after NYE being beer-free (waistline related - got a clean bill of health on all the usual suspect effects from drinking - Doc is a bit pissed about that - he can't tell me to lay off the grog when he can't see it in my bloods. 😄 ) then I want to try some beer experiments. 1st will be to run a normal FV at 18° along with a pressure FV at 24° & a Kveik at 35°, all the same beer, likely an IPA but perhaps an XPA instead.

The reason is - I think maybe kveik brews are different in a significant way to what I recall using Nott. I'm guessing that the normal Nott brew & the Nott pressure brew will come out very similar & the Kveik with be distinctly different, but unless I do side-by-side it's hard to say.

I also plan to schedule my drinking, reducing from the 'every night' pattern I got into once I got kegs & get back to the Thrusday/Friday I used to do. That should help motivate me to get other things done, like write the books I got a computer for 35 years ago & never got to because computers took over my life. 😄 

Of course if 2023 turns out to continue the descending pattern establisehd by govts & bankster manipulators recently, I may scrap all that & watch in blissful haze as the world commits hari-kiri. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

To get the bug back, I have recently done 2 x FWK's from KL & 2 x K&K's just to get full kegs in the fridge.

Plans are to spend a little time after NYE being beer-free (waistline related - got a clean bill of health on all the usual suspect effects from drinking - Doc is a bit pissed about that - he can't tell me to lay off the grog when he can't see it in my bloods. 😄 ) then I want to try some beer experiments. 1st will be to run a normal FV at 18° along with a pressure FV at 24° & a Kveik at 35°, all the same beer, likely an IPA but perhaps an XPA instead.

The reason is - I think maybe kveik brews are different in a significant way to what I recall using Nott. I'm guessing that the normal Nott brew & the Nott pressure brew will come out very similar & the Kveik with be distinctly different, but unless I do side-by-side it's hard to say.

I also plan to schedule my drinking, reducing from the 'every night' pattern I got into once I got kegs & get back to the Thrusday/Friday I used to do. That should help motivate me to get other things done, like write the books I got a computer for 35 years ago & never got to because computers took over my life. 😄 

Of course if 2023 turns out to continue the descending pattern establisehd by govts & bankster manipulators recently, I may scrap all that & watch in blissful haze as the world commits hari-kiri. 

Good to see you back brewing @Journeyman I have been seeing my doctor more than recent of late due to a nasty bout of Bursitis in the shoulder, gone through the Ultra scan/Quarte zone injections, prescription medication etc.

My doctor is a newbie home brewer & I have been giving him advice & he appreciates it, so I haven't had any lectures about drinking & everything seems OK.

I still have a few have a few beers each day, only some days more than others 🤣

Keep us posted on your experiment.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Good to see you back brewing @Journeyman I have been seeing my doctor more than recent of late due to a nasty bout of Bursitis in the shoulder, gone through the Ultra scan/Quarte zone injections, prescription medication etc.

I got myself one of these for my bursitis (both shoulders. Works well... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/354125041020

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Thanks for the info but I don't feel like spending that much for something like that ATM. If it works for you, that's great.

It was a bit of a decision given low income, but I usually havwe a priority of staying off pharmaceutical solutions as much as possible. I tried the injection the 1st time but it doesn't last long & when the 2nd shoulder started I saved up - Afterpay helps as well. 😄

• Like 2

Just now, Journeyman said:

It was a bit of a decision given low income, but I usually havwe a priority of staying off pharmaceutical solutions as much as possible. I tried the injection the 1st time but it doesn't last long & when the 2nd shoulder started I saved up - Afterpay helps as well. 😄

I understand but I don't mind having a few more injections & taking the med but I do taper them off so that I am in control.

I have Zip Pay but I use that for brewing gear. 🤭

• Haha 1

Currently upgrading my pots, ordered this beauty 170L Nano X a few weeks before Xmas, i have 2 more pots around that size to purchase. Currently getting a frame quoted up for the 3 pots
To sit on. This will definitely help with production. 
94f07693-0cd5-47c0-abb2-88b1ca25b324.thumb.jpg.16f128dfcb2e08c17ae5a4a13d407afb.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hoppy81 said:

Currently upgrading my pots, ordered this beauty 170L Nano X a few weeks before Xmas, i have 2 more pots around that size to purchase. Currently getting a frame quoted up for the 3 pots
To sit on. This will definitely help with production. 

Great Hoppy, good to see more equipment being added to TCB it won't be long before you are sending us photos like this 🤭

Brewhouse-cellar-600x400.jpg.4045eff3451f6329dec420b2596224aa.jpg

• Haha 4