Coopers Community

Ginger Beer Recipe

Oldbloke

I was going to try and make one from scratch but the price of ginger is so expensive. Must be why all commercial ones went up.

Morgans was too artificial tasting for me had to mix with lemonade. I would give a coopers one a go if they made one. Never tried any other brand sorry. The morgans one was a tad bit sweet for me.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

I see Coopers haven't produced a ginger beer for a few years. And I dread trying Brigalow.  Thought I'd try one for the Mrs.

Googling produces a few results.

But, has anyone got a tried and true recipe? Low ABV preferred.

I recall @John E Miller had a beauty some time ago, you may have to do some searching for it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

I see Coopers haven't produced a ginger beer for a few years. And I dread trying Brigalow.  Thought I'd try one for the Mrs.

Googling produces a few results.

But, has anyone got a tried and true recipe? Low ABV preferred.

Mangrove Jacks might do one.  Their kits are well regarded.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Mangrove Jacks might do one.  Their kits are well regarded.

We tried the mangrove jacks one,  was horrible . In the missus word "super gross" I tipped the whole batch out . It smelled odd to start with straight out of the packet . Apparently the mangrove jacks isn't a true ginger beer it's a ginger flavoured beer according to the local home brew shop . Try colony west ginger beer the missus loves it or the Kingsley ginger beer recipe 

Edited by SimonWA
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, SimonWA said:

We tried the mangrove jacks one,  was horrible . In the missus word "super gross" I tipped the whole batch out . It smelled odd to start with straight out of the packet . Apparently the mangrove jacks isn't a true ginger beer it's a ginger flavoured beer according to the local home brew shop . Try colony west ginger beer the missus loves it or the Kingsley ginger beer recipe 

When I was a kid Mum hade a Ginger Beer plant that she had going for years, it was a fine drop, of course it was non alcoholic but some years later my brother & I found a way to get a bit more zing out of it much to Mum's horror, the old man got stuck into one night & ended up worse for wear 🤣

• Haha 3

Bottled a GB about 2 months ago & recorded NUTHIN'.  Memory🤔 1kg fresh grated ginger , 50grm powdered ginger, jar of mushy ginger(Aldi) some lemon zest/peel, cinnamon, cloves, all spice, chilli mashed in a boil (probably some other stuff) 20litres with an ale yeast & 1.5kg white sugar & 500gr brown sugar (probably honey too).... Bottled it..........came out  dry, unsweet, peppery and fizzy.

Sweetened with a sugar syrup on ice & it kicks a goal for me...around 2.5% ABV

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 4:55 PM, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I was going to try and make one from scratch but the price of ginger is so expensive. Must be why all commercial ones went up.

I scored fresh ginger at $12/kg in the local IGA early October when I threw my 'Franken-ginger-beer' together. Maybe a local supply ??

What they asking in your locale Uhtred?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

I scored fresh ginger at $12/kg in the local IGA early October when I threw my 'Franken-ginger-beer' together. Maybe a local supply ??

What they asking in your locale Uhtred?

I can't remember to be honest it was a ridiculous amount and must have been during the mid winter floods on the east coast. I'm sure it was 20 something a kilogram maybe more, to make a small batch of full strength just was not worth it. 

I have noticed a whole heap of commercial ones popping up now and are either low in alcohol or really high at 8%. They are really expensive for 4 packs so it must be costly to make. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2022 at 5:22 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

I recall @John E Miller had a beauty some time ago, you may have to do some searching for it.

https://www.thehopandgrain.com.au/brew-ginger-beer/

This is nice, you can customise to suit. I suggest making a dry ginger beer and mixing up a bottle of sugar syrup to serve if you like it sweet. 

• Like 1