Coopers Community

First time on this site

Adrian S

Have just done my second ever brew first one went great, have just tried my first two from this second brew which was a Draught, both bottles are as flat look like cold tea I at a lose as to why. Any ideas from you experts?

• Sad 1

First brew was when I received the Kira’s a gift, so this one had to do all the cleaning and sanitising. Did everything as per instructions so I’m 

scratching my head as to why, never thought the cold could effect it.

• Like 1

Firstly.. I'm not the Expert

Coopers recommends above 18c

That was my problem, it was too cold here in Goolwa SA, in winter.

I've since read that above 18c for the first week, to reach Carbonation, then storage at lower levels is Ok.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Adrian S said:

I had them in a esky in my garage in Melbourne maybe average temp of 12-14C.

That is roughly the temp I tried to Carbonate my first brew, it did not work.

Coopers recommend 18c to 25c (I think)

• Like 2

my first batch was a dud batch, stored way too cold and nothing i did later (like trying to re-prime with carb drops or trying to shandy them) did anything. it's been an unusually cold start to october in melbourne, don't let this put you off starting a new batch, just keep the next bottles a bit warmer next time.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Hi @DavidM, Please can you give a bit more info about your too cold and just right temps?

Hi, Yes first brew Flat As, the good folk here told me to Keep the bottled brew in a warm (18-25) environment.

I've never has a flat one since!

I have a storage area with 380 bottles in it and across winter I keep it Warm, 18-20c

Next winter I have a different plan, Thanks to the good folk here

Will have a heated box to hold 60 Longnecks, then transfer into the storage area.

(Summer Project)

• Like 2

@Adrian S  welcome to  the mad house of brewing and congratulations on your 1st  effort

i wont get into  your issue with carbonation as others have help you there.  

my Advice to you is start reading  John Palmers  book "how to brew" you can find the 1st edition online free and you will find it here   http://www.howtobrew.com/

How to brew may seem like its  for a beginner however many homebrewers  will always refer back to this book  as it is treated like the Holy Bible of Brewing.

Also youtube  can be your friend as well   2 youtubers you can follow  and they are  "the Homebrew Network"   and "Simple Home brewing"

The homebrew Network

This guy has brewed for many of years and is a qualified brewer that homebrews  and look at his older videos on extract brewing
He is very approachable bloke even though he is prominently a all grain brewer  he will still help a extract brewer and give good advice

Simple Home brewing

Not as experiences as the Homebrew network  and probably not as serious either but has  some good  youtube videos as well sharing his 
experiences .

But however   enjoy brewing mate there is quite a few here that will help you out and guide you through as well

cheers
OZ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At the risk of preaching to the converted. The two must haves when brewing beer is making sure that everything that will touch the beer is sanitized with Starsan or its equivalent. The second is temperature control.

For the second, a fermenting fridge is a good investment and finally make sure the bottle caps do not leak.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adrian S said:

Okay have read just now I can try moving them to a warmer spot for another two weeks, also try adding one more carbonate tablet.

Yes move them to a warmer spot. Once they warm up the yeast will likely get going again and carbonate up the bottles. I wouldn't add another carb drop. If it hasn't carbonated that means the original sugar has not been consumed. Another carb drop will likely over carbonate.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Adrian S said:

Have just done my second ever brew first one went great, have just tried my first two from this second brew which was a Draught, both bottles are as flat look like cold tea I at a lose as to why. Any ideas from you experts?

Hi Adrian, first you need to list your ingredients, your recipe & tell us about your equipment & methods.

The guys that answered can help but we need a blueprint to work from. 

Coopers website offers a comprehensive detailed library of everything about brewing. You need to start with the basics & learn from there.

Click on the various links on this website, read, study, watch & you will be brewing a good beer in no time.

Coopers DIY Beer Brew Kit

All the best.

Cheers

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Yes move them to a warmer spot. Once they warm up the yeast will likely get going again and carbonate up the bottles. I wouldn't add another carb drop. If it hasn't carbonated that means the original sugar has not been consumed. Another carb drop will likely over carbonate.

Spot on. If they still don't carbonate open them up and add some Yeast, then cap and keep warm for a few days. If you don't have a spare Yeast satchel add some of the sediment out of the FV from your next brew. A couple of drops will be enough.

It's the same process as in the FV so the requirements are the same.

• Like 1

Hi @AdrianSand @stevo1957, I'm just curious; in your  sad sagas of flat beer you haven't mentioned temperature while the brew was in the fermenting vessel. Also, did you check what the starting gravity and final gravity was; and how long was the brew in the fermenter? Spose I'm wondering if your yeast had done it's thing before you bottled?

I have had flat beer too. I use PET bottles and on one bottle I hadn't screwed the lid on tightly enough. It was yuk!

I'm a new brewer too - only ten brews in since January this year. We have been trying different extracts, and just starting to try some additions. Each brew is so different with carbonation, head, taste etc.  Best wishes for your future brews. It is exciting stuff!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I hope this really worked out for him it appears he has not been back to say. Over the last few weeks before joining I have been reading a lot on this site. Almost every time I put a brew question into google, this was one of the sites it directed me to.

It certainly is one of the most user friendly brew forums to navigate for information. Even after brewing for years I sometimes have questions or second guess myself when about to do something.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Well I hope this really worked out for him it appears he has not been back to say. Over the last few weeks before joining I have been reading a lot on this site. Almost every time I put a brew question into google, this was one of the sites it directed me to.

It certainly is one of the most user friendly brew forums to navigate for information. Even after brewing for years I sometimes have questions or second guess myself when about to do something.

It seems like it may be destiny Uhtred son of Uhtred

😉🍻

• Haha 3