Coopers Community

Beer Recipe clones

Tricky Micky

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Has anyone got an extract recipe which would be similar to 150 lashes? My son-in-law (the one who gifted me the second hand fridge) would like the fridge tax paid in beer....any suggestions gratefully received 

Mr Google would be the best shot unless anyone has made it on here.

Did this all grain a couple of times for the old man. Wasn't exact but wasnt far away either. Was a touch hoppier than the commercial one so if you wanted to clone it I'd take 5 grams off each of the late additions and it would be closer,

Converting to extract if you were doing an extract boil I would go 1 tin light malt and 1 tin wheat malt. If a prehopped can I would go like a wheat beer tin and a tin of light malt plus a 30 min steep of about 5gm of pride of ringwood to get the IBU higher and a short 10 min steep of the late hops. Get you somewhat close I would think.

Screenshot_20220806-142308_BeerSmith 3.jpg

Screenshot_20220806-142317_BeerSmith 3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I first starting playing with hops I made a Coopers Aussie Pale Ale one time with 750 grams of ldm a hop tea of Amarillo 12grams maybe more can’t remember  but I can check later and then a dry hop with 30ish grams of Nelson again maybe more and us05. It turned out really nice I believe the beer has Willamette in it as well but I didn’t bother. It wasn’t exact but it was nicer imo. It was @Bribie G recipe.

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Has anyone got an extract recipe which would be similar to 150 lashes? My son-in-law (the one who gifted me the second hand fridge) would like the fridge tax paid in beer....any suggestions gratefully received 

Maybe here's an option - 150 Lashes Clone.

I looked at an all grain version that is about 2/3rd Pilsner, 1/3 Wheat Malt and 200g Light Crystal Malt.  To imitate that, I suggest

• Any of the Coopers Lagers (European Lager, TC Golden Crown Lager or 86 Days Pilsner)
  • 1.5kg Coopers Wheat Malt Extract
  • 200g Light Crystal Malt (do a hot steep for 30 minutes in 2 litres at 65°C)
  • 5g Amarillo 5g Nelson 5g Cascade @ 10 min boil of the Crystal Malt wort
  • 5g Amarillo 5g Nelson 5g Cascade @ 5 mins boil of the Crystal Malt wort
  • Turn off heat and add 15g Amarillo 15g Nelson 15g Cascade and steep for 30 mins
  • Use US-05 or Nottingham yeast at 20°C
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mickep said:

Mick, back when I was doing K & K also looked into a lashes clone for myself as don't mind that beer when I have to buy commercial stuff.

Played around with a few different scenarios but never got around to actually brewing one.  I will dig out my suggested recipe notes and see what came up with.  From memory it was just a can of Coopers light malt and a can of Coopers wheat malt then bittering and aroma hops in a small boil but I cannot remember the schedule.  Will find it and post up when I can.  Also from memory I planned to use WLP001 or BRY-97 yeast.

You could use a Coopers APA can instead of the light malt can but I think there is no PoR in the lashes.    - Cheers 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Mick, back when I was doing K & K also looked into a lashes clone for myself as don't mind that beer when I have to buy commercial stuff.

Played around with a few different scenarios but never got around to actually brewing one.  I will dig out my suggested recipe notes and see what came up with.  From memory it was just a can of Coopers light malt and a can of Coopers wheat malt then bittering and aroma hops in a small boil but I cannot remember the schedule.  Will find it and post up when I can.  Also from memory I planned to use WLP001 or BRY-97 yeast.

You could use a Coopers APA can instead of the light malt can but I think there is no PoR in the lashes.    - Cheers 

Thanks Al, much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Welcome back, Al.  It's been a while. Last I recall you were relocating.  Settled into your new place?  Got a good brewing space?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Welcome back, Al.  It's been a while. Last I recall you were relocating.  Settled into your new place?  Got a good brewing space?

Thanks Shamus.

Nar, did not do the big move in the end, we sort of got gazumped.

As the property we found was a long way away from us we had to rely on my son who is a builder in Cairns to scope it out.  So I sent him an email with links to it so he could get a handle on where it was and the layout etc.

As a matter of chance my son’s father in law was visiting and with him at the exact same time when he opens the email and looks at the pics.  They both looked it over and both liked it.

Also just as a matter of chance my son’s father in law was holidaying in his caravan at a “farm stay” up on what’s called the tablelands west of Cairns.  That night the father in law happens to mention to the farm stay hosts about this property.

Anyway the next day, farm stay hosts put in an offer with better terms of settlement than mine and their contract was signed sealed and delivered before I knew it.

Like what are the odds?  You would not read about it.

So the search continues and it got frustrating and boring so we went on a big 2 month holiday up through SA and NT instead.

Sorry to OP for the slight deviation!

• Like 2

@Mickep

Basically my shorthand 150 Lashes notes say:

The target was an Australian Pale Ale using pale malt, Munich malt and wheat malt.  Hops used are Amarillo, Willamette, Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy but we don’t know how much or the schedule.

ABV = 4.2%, IBU = 18.5 and EBC unknown at this stage but guessing around 10 – 15 - ish.

1 x 1.5 kg can Coopers liquid light malt extract

1 x 1.5 kg can of Coopers liquid wheat extract

300 g of Coopers light dry malt

25 g Willamette hops at 10”

10 g Amarillo hops at 5”

10 g Nelson Sauvin hops at 5”

10 g Galaxy hops at 1” or basically flame-out.

Yeast proposed - WLP001 or BRY-97 -  1 sachet.

Method:

A couple of days before brew day pre-chill 15 L of filtered chlorine free water in a cube by placing it in a fridge (or chest freezer for a few hours) until it is down to a very cold temp.

On brew day heat 3 L of filtered chlorine free water in say a 10 L pot and as it heats add the 300 g of dry light malt and mix well.  Continue to bring this to the boil, stirring to make sure any malt does not burn on the bottom of the pot.

Once at the boil, add 20g of Willamette hops in a hop sock and start timer for 10 minutes.

At the 5 minute mark add 10g Amarillo and also 10g Nelson Sauvin both in a new hop sock.

At the 1 minute mark (basically flame-out) add 10g Galaxy in another hop sock.  NOTE: You don’t have to use hop socks if you have a good fine strainer, just throw them in.

Leave all hops in the liquid as you chill the pot down in a sink of ice water.

Meanwhile add the 15L cube of cold water to the FV and mix in both the can of light malt and the can of wheat malt then stir well.

Once the hot pot of wort has cooled down to say 60 C then strain the liquid into the FV discarding all the hops and mix well.

Adjust the wort in the FV by adding more cold or hot water to bring up to 23 L at about 18 C.

When at 18 C pitch yeast and ferment at 18 C for 2 days then allow to rise to 22 – 24 C over the next 4 days to reach FG.  Hold at this temp for 4 more days then cold crash for a couple more days

150 Lashes Extract Recipe Experiment.JPG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I'll second that, long time no see AL, Cheers. 🍻

Thanks, and I damn near called in for a couple of pale ales back in May.  Hahndorf was as close as I got unfortunately and too many good drinking holes there.  😉

Edited by iBooz2
typo
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Anyway the next day, farm stay hosts put in an offer with better terms of settlement than mine and their contract was signed sealed and delivered before I knew it.

Wow, ripped off.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Mickep said:

Here’s one I tried early days Mick. Unfortunately can’t remember how close it was …

8501556A-BD05-4BC3-BBB4-68CC0FD10D9E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2022 at 2:54 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I looked at an all grain version that is about 2/3rd Pilsner, 1/3 Wheat Malt and 200g Light Crystal Malt.  To imitate that, I suggest

• Any of the Coopers Lagers (European Lager, TC Golden Crown Lager or 86 Days Pilsner)
  • Turn off heat and add 15g Amarillo 15g Nelson 15g Cascade and steep for 30 mins

Hey @Shamus O'Sean  Shamus, what's the volume for this recipe mate?

6 hours ago, Mickep said:

Hey @Shamus O'Sean  Shamus, what's the volume for this recipe mate?

Hey Mick, I did not really think about volume.  Checking it now, 23 litres would get you 4.8% ABV after priming or 4.4% ABV into a keg.  I think the commercial version is 4.2%.  If you did 24 litres you would get very close to that in the keg.

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2022 at 2:54 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Shamus, just to clarify, after steeping your LCM you boil the wort for 10 minutes and follow the hop schedule?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Hey Shamus, just to clarify, after steeping your LCM you boil the wort for 10 minutes and follow the hop schedule?

Yes, that is spot on.  I also forgot to mention to remove the grains before doing the 10 minute boil.  Either contain the grains in a Chux/Hop sock or similar and remove them from the wort to be boiled.  Or, if steeped loose, strain the wort into another pot for the boil.

Do the same with the hops.  Either contain them or strain.  You really only want the liquid in your fermenter.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yes, that is spot on.  I also forgot to mention to remove the grains before doing the 10 minute boil.  Either contain the grains in a Chux/Hop sock or similar and remove them from the wort to be boiled.  Or, if steeped loose, strain the wort into another pot for the boil.

Do the same with the hops.  Either contain them or strain.  You really only want the liquid in your fermenter.

Thanks Shamus

• Like 1