Coopers Community

For how long can I let my lager ferment?

I am in a bit of a pickle and need some advise. I had a little surgery and I am not allowed any heavy lifting for the next 3 weeks, which will make it very difficult for me to carry my bottles to soak, rinse and sanitize. I have two FVs ready to bottle. Question is for how long can I leave it before bottling?

Both brews are kit brews. The first a Lager 1 x Muntons Connoisseurs Continental Lager (1.8kg) Ingredient Can 1 x Muntons Liquid Light Malt Extract (1.5kg) 1 x Carapils Steeping Malt (250g) 2 x SafLager S-189 Lager yeast (11g).    Its now 5 weeks in the fermenter, for 4 weeks constant 12C and since a week I try to let it get to ambient temperature (as recommended in the recipe for a diacetyl rest) which is only 14C. I took a sample two days ago and it was delicious, don't wanna spoil it.

The other one is a ROTM Chocopotamus: 1 x 1.3kg Mr Beer Bewitched Amber Ale 1 x 250g Chocolate Malt 1 x 100g Roasted Barley 1 x 360ml Chocolate Syrup 1 x 15g Coopers English Ale Yeast. It is now 11 days in the FV on a constant 20 - 21C. The last sample was a bit thin and the projected SG is still too high?  Do I need to get a mate to help me this week end or can I wait another week?

47 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I am in a bit of a pickle and need some advise. I had a little surgery and I am not allowed any heavy lifting for the next 3 weeks, which will make it very difficult for me to carry my bottles to soak, rinse and sanitize. I have two FVs ready to bottle. Question is for how long can I leave it before bottling?

Both brews are kit brews. The first a Lager 1 x Muntons Connoisseurs Continental Lager (1.8kg) Ingredient Can 1 x Muntons Liquid Light Malt Extract (1.5kg) 1 x Carapils Steeping Malt (250g) 2 x SafLager S-189 Lager yeast (11g).    Its now 5 weeks in the fermenter, for 4 weeks constant 12C and since a week I try to let it get to ambient temperature (as recommended in the recipe for a diacetyl rest) which is only 14C. I took a sample two days ago and it was delicious, don't wanna spoil it.

The other one is a ROTM Chocopotamus: 1 x 1.3kg Mr Beer Bewitched Amber Ale 1 x 250g Chocolate Malt 1 x 100g Roasted Barley 1 x 360ml Chocolate Syrup 1 x 15g Coopers English Ale Yeast. It is now 11 days in the FV on a constant 20 - 21C. The last sample was a bit thin and the projected SG is still too high?  Do I need to get a mate to help me this week end or can I wait another week?

My opinion is the Ale will be fine as long as you can maintain the constant temperature for another week but if you have a mate to help with the Lager I would do it.

• Thanks 1

Long story short. My father left a pilsner for about 6-8 weeks, in a tin shed. Summer too.

It was as clear as crystal when we bottled.

No yeast transfered over to bottles.

After it was ready to drink bottles were all flat. I fix them by opening every bottle and added a few granules of yeast from a coopers kit.

Best pilsner I ever had the privilege to drink.

So, don't stress, stir it a bit before bottling and it will be great.  👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I reckon that both would be fine for another week or two in the fermenter, especially the Chocopotamus.  By the way, I also suggest you do the diacetyl rest around 18°C.  You can then cold crash for 2 weeks without issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I reckon that both would be fine for another week or two in the fermenter, especially the Chocopotamus.  By the way, I also suggest you do the diacetyl rest around 18°C.  You can then cold crash for 2 weeks without issue.

+1 to Shamus to what said, I left a Saison for about a month when I was waiting for my kegerator and left a Pilsner for quite some time also and it was clear as a bell with barely visible sediment in the bottles. Lagers probably benefit from being left in the fermenter for longer anyway but I can’t wait normally😝 

• Haha 2

Hope you get better soon mate 👍

I’ve left various brews over a month and they’ve been fine, even improved. Stronger ones definitely, but even lighter ones. 
One brown ale I left for about 6 weeks and carbonation took a while in the bottle, but eventually it was right. 
Good luck 🍀 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks Shamus, still don’t have a fridge for cold crashing, sonny boy still didn’t pick up his motorcycle, and for the 18°C it’s just too cold right now. Could wrap the FV in some blankets, ha ha that’s what I did last winter before I had a heat belt. Seemed to have worked as the beers turned out nicely. Also when it was really cold I did a Stout with lager yeast which was yummy. All this brewing is a question of hit and miss but luckily with people like you, and others in this forum there are more hits.

You’re helpful insights are always highly appreciated

• Like 5

15 hours ago, oldbloke said:

Long story short. My father left a pilsner for about 6-8 weeks, in a tin shed. Summer too.

It was as clear as crystal when we bottled.

No yeast transfered over to bottles.

After it was ready to drink bottles were all flat. I fix them by opening every bottle and added a few granules of yeast from a coopers kit.

Best pilsner I ever had the privilege to drink.

So, don't stress, stir it a bit before bottling and it will be great.  👍

More likely the temperature killed the yeast. Just sitting there won't drop enough out to prevent carbonation happening. 

• Like 1

It was a Black Rock Oatmeal Stout kit with an extra 25 ml of espresso. I did it right in the beginning of my “brewing career “(brew 11) not having any idea about flavour profiles of different yeasts. Only knew about temperatures. Did it still taste like a Stout? I think so, it definitely was delicious.even after many months 

5E0E79CB-A642-49DC-882F-D38BD18CC55C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I did it right in the beginning of my “brewing career “(brew 11) not having any idea about flavour profiles of different yeasts. 

I've made somewhere in the region of 100 brews and still have no idea on flavour profiles. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to learning.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

That sounds interesting, Fritzy. Did it still taste like a stout or did the lager yeast change it completely?

I made a Baltic Porter with W34/70 it was really nice. I used the yeast cake of a Pilsner so it had plenty of yeast to get the job done! 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 7:36 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

More likely the temperature killed the yeast. Just sitting there won't drop enough out to prevent carbonation happening. 

Perhaps your right. I never thought about that. But wouldn't you get "off" flavours. That was a great batch.

The bottles are finally soaking, tomorrow is bottling day. Testing and tasting day. Both brews smell and taste absolutely fine, nothing off at all. Just the projected gravity readings are the opposite.

The Chocopotamus Stout has supposedly ABV of 6.9%. Mine will be about 4.4%. The OG was only 1044, might not have crushed the grains enough. The FG is 1016 and hasn’t changed since more than a week. It’s in the FV for 19 days on a constant 20°C.

The Munich Helles is supposed to be ABV 5% with OG 1043/47 FG 1005/09. Mine started of at 1054 and will have about 6.3%.It’s been 6 1/2 weeks in the FV and taste quiet nice, it’s not very helles (light colour) so. Let’s see how they will turn out

E68273A8-72BB-4264-BB7B-2C7A7EDECD33.jpeg

• Like 4