Coopers Community

Cold fermenting.

jackgym

It's a bit cool on the Sunshine Coast with the result that my ale is fermenting at around 16.5 deg.

Will that affect the outcome, I know it's better at 18deg. but I don't have a heat pad. Using US-05 yeast.

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That would be because it slowed down near the end of the fermentation. It's not ideal having the temperature drop off like that but there's not a lot you can do without some way to keep it warm. It's more likely than not that it'll still be good beer though 

Okay, thanks Otto. 

1 hour ago, Hoppy81 said:

US05 is fine at that temp, Check out LittleJohn on Youtube, he often brews at 15°c with US05.

I would agree Hoppy, I have been brewing a lot of Ales with US-05 over the last few years, a lot of them at ambient temperatures - the average daily temp was always around 18-20c but in the cooler months the night time temperature would have gone down sometimes to 16-17c & not once did I notice any off flavours. I realise a consistent temperature is ideal but it's a fairly versatile yeast. I have an Ale with US-05 going ATM but controlled at 22c. So I should be able to compare them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jackgym said:

It's a bit cool on the Sunshine Coast with the result that my ale is fermenting at around 16.5 deg.

Brew room temp lagers mate

4 hours ago, ozdevil said:

then

than

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/12/2022 at 7:39 PM, jackgym said:

Will that affect the outcome, I know it's better at 18deg. but I don't have a heat pad. Using US-05 yeast.

In the past this is one of the reasons I turned to Nottingham ale yeast.  I found it surpassed US05 in several ways - temperature range being one of them.  i.e. 10ºC - 22ºC which makes it a great choice for the Winter months.  This is also beneficial when it comes to bottle carbonation in the cooler months.  Nottingham also has a relatively short lag phase, a clean and neutral profile, high-attenuating with greater levels of flocculation compared to US05.   Might be worth considering for future Winter brews... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BlackSands said:

This is also beneficial when it comes to bottle carbonation in the cooler months. 

Just to expand on this Line..

Can I take it that you mean that Bottle carbonation will happen in cooler conditions, say down to 15c (or lower)?

That would be a big help for me in winter.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DavidM said:

Just to expand on this Line..

Can I take it that you mean that Bottle carbonation will happen in cooler conditions, say down to 15c (or lower)?

That would be a big help for me in winter.

Yes Nottingham will carb up your bottles at 15 degrees no problem. I tend to leave them for 4 weeks if I can and haven’t had a problem. And it flocks down well too. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2022 at 7:32 PM, BlackSands said:

In the past this is one of the reasons I turned to Nottingham ale yeast.  I found it surpassed US05 in several ways - temperature range being one of them.  i.e. 10ºC - 22ºC which makes it a great choice for the Winter months.  This is also beneficial when it comes to bottle carbonation in the cooler months.  Nottingham also has a relatively short lag phase, a clean and neutral profile, high-attenuating with greater levels of flocculation compared to US05.   Might be worth considering for future Winter brews... 

That is good to know, I'll try Nottingham. Cheers.

• Like 1