Coopers Community

What sort of a brewer are you?

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

last year I completed a certificate 3 in micro brewing and brewing management. 

that wasn’t enough, so from there.... I enrolled my self in the GCB (general certificate of Brewing) done through the IBD (the institute of brewing and distilling) and passed the exam last November. 

ive taken it one step further now and am fortunate to be an assistant brewer at an expanding Gold Coast Brewery. 

Why achieve when you can over-achieve? 😄

That's an impressive journey Mitch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

I’m a full blown nerd brewer. Proud to admit it also. I monitor everything I possibly can on brew day and during fermentation. I adjust water profile based on beer style and  on the latest monthly council estimate. I adjust liquor to grist based on style and I make sure my recipes fail within style guidelines.  Don’t even get me started on pH 🙂 that bad boy gotta be right too. From there I’ve made detailed brew sheets to follow on brew day that relate to my my recipes followed by a detailed fermentation log. Every time a sample comes out of the FV, a pH reading is done along with gravity, backed with a record of date and temperature record. Once a beer is kegged and pouring, tasting notes are then entered into said fermentation sheet, along with any improvements from a previous batch or just to cross reference anything I may have changed. 
i also listen to every beer podcast known to man.

that wasn’t enough, so from there.... I enrolled my self in the GCB (general certificate of Brewing) done through the IBD (the institute of brewing and distilling) and passed the exam last November. 

ive taken it one step further now and am fortunate to be an assistant brewer at an expanding Gold Coast Brewery. 

happy Saturday y’all. 

Oh, so that's all it takes to become an award winning brewer? Sounds pretty easy to me. LOL
For the record, I happen to be an expanding South Australian brewer myself. Hey, hey, hey! 😄 

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

I’m a full blown nerd brewer. Proud to admit it also. I monitor everything I possibly can on brew day and during fermentation. I adjust water profile based on beer style and  on the latest monthly council estimate. I adjust liquor to grist based on style and I make sure my recipes fail within style guidelines.  Don’t even get me started on pH 🙂 that bad boy gotta be right too. From there I’ve made detailed brew sheets to follow on brew day that relate to my my recipes followed by a detailed fermentation log. Every time a sample comes out of the FV, a pH reading is done along with gravity, backed with a record of date and temperature record. Once a beer is kegged and pouring, tasting notes are then entered into said fermentation sheet, along with any improvements from a previous batch or just to cross reference anything I may have changed. 

happy Saturday y’all. 

Congrats.  I think the "full blown nerd" approach is very appropriate if brewing commercially is the end goal.   🧑‍🔬

I've done a bit of AG, kit with addons and full kit.  Don't like the bittering in kits - it tastes fake - is that what you mean by twang?.  All that said I'm polishing up a very nice LC Rogers clone, kit with LME and grain addons recipe.  I'm about to try some LME to try to duplicate that recipe without that fake bitter taste.  

I like the science and tech aspects of brewing.  I like to build my gear - built a 4 tap keezer, best beer related thing I ever did.  In the throes of building a Craftbeer Pi process controller, designed the circuitry and made the PCBs .  Plan is to have a compact automatic half batch brewery turning out top beer.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

happy Saturday y’all. 

And this my friends is a man who takes his brewing seriously. This is next level stuff. Good on ya mate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What a wonderful,diverse bunch of brewers we have on here! I have boundless admiration for those who have pushed their craft to it’s upper echelons. My disinclination to follow them gives me occasional pangs of regret, but  then again, as the man said, too few to mention, .I suspect I’ll remain a dedicated kit ‘ n kilo man. My thoughts at the moment are perhaps encouraged by a bottle (or two) of Coopers Dark Ale, one of my regular favourites.This one is a true kit and kilo, made with just a kilo of LDM. I have often made it with various hop additions and sometimes with crystal malt ( Nut Brown Ale). All are delicious but for a quick, easy and practically bombproof brew this is a beauty. I do like the simple life! Now, where’s that other bottle?  Bottoms up!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Worts and all said:

... Coopers Dark Ale, one of my regular favourites. This one is a true kit and kilo, made with just a kilo of LDM. I have often made it with various hop additions and sometimes with crystal malt ( Nut Brown Ale). All are delicious but for a quick, easy and practically bombproof brew this is a beauty. I do like the simple life! Now, where’s that other bottle?  Bottoms up!

Indeed. As it happens I'm just about to sample a recent Dark Ale brew now (my PA just ran out!).  The Coopers tin plus 1.2kg MJ's LME and a good dose of fuggles a goldings - never disappoints.  🤓

• Like 2

Thanks all for the kind words. It wasn’t ever the main goal but just sorta ended up like that. The convergence of a pandemic, a much need career change and a hobby that all just fell into place. It certainly wasn’t without hard work and a few late nights and some early mornings. Plenty hurdles in front of me yet but they’re good hurdles. 

• Like 4

@Norris! what course are you looking at? 

If you’re looking at the cert 3, I actually was eligible for government subsidy. A $3000 course cost me $150. Worth looking into. 

the IBD isn’t subsidised as its run by an overseas company in the UK. It set me back about $800 AU. Speaking with some blokes though, if you can get your foot in the door at an actual brewery, you might be lucky enough to get the to pay for it if they end up getting you on the brew deck. That might be a longer road though.....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

@Norris! what course are you looking at? 

If you’re looking at the cert 3, I actually was eligible for government subsidy. A $3000 course cost me $150. Worth looking into. 

the IBD isn’t subsidised as its run by an overseas company in the UK. It set me back about $800 AU. Speaking with some blokes though, if you can get your foot in the door at an actual brewery, you might be lucky enough to get the to pay for it if they end up getting you on the brew deck. That might be a longer road though.....

I work for TAFE NSW and was going to do their course, I guess it has a waiting list and honestly I want to do it but cannot, at this time, be away from home too much with family and stuff. But dude I will look more into it and see if I can do it for the low low.

If you ever got a brew you want to trade let me know.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 9:09 AM, MitchBastard said:

This is awesome. Really happy for you, man 👍🏽 It's been enjoyable to watch you progress while you've been a part of the forum. I'm looking forward to picking up a can of MitchBastard sometime soon.

On 5/29/2021 at 9:39 AM, Norris! said:

the golden handcuffs got me pretty good

Yes, haha. Same here. Though mine are less gold, more tin. I've thought about it a bit, even applied for a brewing job when I was a bit disheartened with my own. Maybe sometime down the line.

• Like 1

Hi legends,

Started off reading this forum, then getting into kits and bits almost 6 years ago.

Went AG with a Robobrew then had a bit of a setback and a hiatus from brewing

Am back now doing stove top / oven  partials and kegging.

Mash  2.25 Kg of grain in oven in 2 x 7L pots (4.5L water in each), because it is easier for me than 15L of hot wort haha.

Do temp control, thought about water chemistry but haven’t got into  it.

I am a bit short and shabby tho, do 1-2 hour mashes but only 30-40min boils.

Pour the lot from the mash in the FV and get super clear and tasty as beers ( clear with most yeasts apart from Kveik)

Fast chill  my wort with ice and have never had a problem.

Love brewing, and enjoy reading about the science behind it, wish I wasn’t so committed financially and old(!) etc, otherwise I would definitely do a course in brewing and try to do the sea change too.

Still , might win the lotto next week.!

Love this brewing lark, love this forum as well, it is the only form of social media that I am on ( joined AHB, but have never really posted on it).

May the brewing gods bless everyone of you.

Beer is proof a greater being exists and wants us to be happy🤪

Cheers

James

• Like 11

12 hours ago, James Lao said:

joined AHB, but have never really posted on it

That was my 1st beer forum - can't recall if I even posted there, but quickly found this one and haven't looked back. Every few days or so I get a Notify that there has been forum activity there so I guess it's still dead quiet over there. 😄

• Like 1

Gday ladies and gents,

I don’t come on here much as I’m fairly time pour these days due to building a house and exploring the idea of pro brewing.
Im an all grain brewer who gets his head into everything. All the fancy words you other guys have been mentioning. 
I make pretty simple beers really and make them time and time again until I’m happy with them. Some people might not think my process or parts of the process are required but I do like to know what each and every part does. 
I have been acquiring quotes etc into going professional. And have a few ideas floating around my head as to how I can still FIFO and also do the brewing side when I am home. 
my favourite style would be saison. Following a close next would be hoppy pales and IPAs. 
At this stage i have about 20 finished beer recipes and about the same not quite finished. Obviously the recipes are tweaked but essentially the same. 

I do not brew lagers and will aspire not to when I do go professional. I believe I can achieve a similar tasteless, lager like, lawnmower beer using ale yeasts and some other techniques. 

I also brew for my enjoyment and having others around to show how easy it is to brew really really good beer, at a fraction of the cost to buying crafties from ya local and have the fulfilment of doing it yourself. 
All the best diggers.

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Gday ladies and gents,

I don’t come on here much as I’m fairly time pour these days due to building a house and exploring the idea of pro brewing.
Im an all grain brewer who gets his head into everything. All the fancy words you other guys have been mentioning. 
I make pretty simple beers really and make them time and time again until I’m happy with them. Some people might not think my process or parts of the process are required but I do like to know what each and every part does. 
I have been acquiring quotes etc into going professional. And have a few ideas floating around my head as to how I can still FIFO and also do the brewing side when I am home. 
my favourite style would be saison. Following a close next would be hoppy pales and IPAs. 
At this stage i have about 20 finished beer recipes and about the same not quite finished. Obviously the recipes are tweaked but essentially the same. 

I do not brew lagers and will aspire not to when I do go professional. I believe I can achieve a similar tasteless, lager like, lawnmower beer using ale yeasts and some other techniques. 

I also brew for my enjoyment and having others around to show how easy it is to brew really really good beer, at a fraction of the cost to buying crafties from ya local and have the fulfilment of doing it yourself. 
All the best diggers.

Hi Commandant @The Captain!!  Good to read your story, it is a good think to have goals & ideals, all the very best with it. Cheers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

I am a Typical no fuss kit and kilo brewer, buy a coopers can, some fermentables, a hop bag and be away..... This is my last month's work, no brewing needed for a few months...... Apa, dark ale, dark pale mix, ruby porter. 

Perfect Mate, nice selection, obviously it works for you so really that is all that matters. Enjoy.

6 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

This is my last month's work, no brewing needed for a few months...

Wanna bet? 😄 That lot will go faster than you think and then there's the 'lag time' until the next brews are carbed and matured to proper quality. 😄 I took a month off brewing and suddenly I'm wondering why I have only half a keg and at least a week before I keg the next 2 batches. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Wanna bet? 😄 That lot will go faster than you think and then there's the 'lag time' until the next brews are carbed and matured to proper quality. 😄 I took a month off brewing and suddenly I'm wondering why I have only half a keg and at least a week before I keg the next 2 batches. 

I was thinking along similar lines before I posted my comment, you are right he would need to get his A... into gear & prepare backup, otherwise thirsty camel 🐫

• Haha 1