Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

2 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I am a fat phobic too but rendered adds flavour and satisfaction rather than just the meat.  A little fat makes for a better steak IMO.

Yeah, I agree mate. I don't chomp on it or anything like that, I cut it off. But it gives it a bit of flavour when you cook it.

If I can get hold of it, I grill a marrowbone split down the middle and scrape the goo onto the steak, it is really beefin' glorious 😉

(some might fell a bit sick at the thought though...🤮)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, stquinto said:

Yeah, me too for the horsradish but mainly on roast beef. I quite like minced garlic though.

I do make a pepper or morell sauce for fillet steak. TBH fillet is not the "tastiest" of meats, you mainly get it for the texture. So a sauce is OK with it.

If it's a well-marbled rib-eye you don't want anything at all of it (well, mustard, horseradish or the garlic) as the fat flavours it enough. But then Phil doesn't like any fat; I prefer it rendered all the same.

Well, I am the opposite, I totally understand all about the marbling/fat & there are different grades etc.

I personally like a little marbling for that extra flavour as without some, meat can be tough however I much prefer the leaner meats & I tend to season them well.

As far as cooking, well that comes down to personal opinion, I like mine the way I cook them & that's what I do.

I do hate the taste of fat & I don't buy any meat with it. Pork is different as we all like the crackling.

Even if the meat I have bought has a small fat cap around it, I cut off the excess & render that section in the pan & then cook to my preferred taste.

Finally, I always rest my meat to ensure there is no myoglobin running around on the plate.

Marbling is the intramuscular fat that gives steak its flavor and tenderness. When meat is well-marbled, it means that there is a good amount of fat running through the muscle fibers, which makes for a juicier, more flavorful piece of meat.

Marbling is important for two main reasons: flavor and tenderness. The fat in marbled meat helps to keep it moist and juicy, which means that it will be more flavorful than leaner cuts of meat. In addition, the fat helps to make the meat more tender, so it will be easier to chew and digest.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yeah, I think we need to have a Coopers Community Poll.  Everyone put their hands up and vote.

Does @Classic Brewing Co need to re-learn how to cook a steak properly (just for us watching at home)?

Medium rare for me too - sorry Phil.  🤣

You blokes can cook your steak any way you like, I will continue to enjoy my method.

If you blokes all came around here for a BBQ it would have to be at night 🤣 

I have garlic growing & wooden stakes on hand also.

• Haha 5

43 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You blokes can cook your steak any way you like, I will continue to enjoy my method.

If you blokes all came around here for a BBQ it would have to be at night 🤣 

I have garlic growing & wooden stakes on hand also.

Promise we won’t eat ya mate 🤣

Fair enough, each to his own. I’ll say this though, I’m sure everyone will agree: I’d rather master a meal and eat it in the comfort of my own home. In my case, steak and chips. I dunno what the mark-up on vino is in your neck of the woods is, but here it’s pretty hefty. I know the restaurants have to make their money but sometimes they don’t half take the urine 😳

• Haha 1

Just now, stquinto said:

Promise we won’t eat ya mate 🤣

Fair enough, each to his own. I’ll say this though, I’m sure everyone will agree: I’d rather master a meal and eat it in the comfort of my own home. In my case, steak and chips. I dunno what the mark-up on vino is in your neck of the woods is, but here it’s pretty hefty. I know the restaurants have to make their money but sometimes they don’t half take the urine 😳

Basically, most of them are rip offs, my local Pub 900m away by the seaside in the front bar charged us $44.00 for a bottle of Saltram's Pepperjack Shiraz (a stunning red) but in the bottle shop it can be as low as $15.00!

https://www.saltramwines.com.au/en-au/wine/pepperjack/

I can drink cheaper wines without issue but the mates I lunched with don't care, one is a Captain Pilot with Quantas, one is professional landscaper & the others are easy either way but the point is where do they get off marking it up to 150%.

Of course, you can pay a lot more, but it depends on your income/financial situation.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mickep said:

If I know where the steaks from and how well its been looked after and it's the right sorta cut - Blue. Steak house etc. or at home. Otherwise rare. 

There are a few steakhouses in Adelaide, but they are also disappearing fast, one in particular in the city has a great reputation & has been doing great steaks etc for over 40 years.

There are a couple of others where they have a 'cook your own' section, that is really good.

As far as going to a restaurant or just any pub ordering a steak is like crossing the road with your eyes closed, even Schnitzels are pulled out of the freezer, chucked in the deep fryer & then thrown on the grill to look like they have been cooked from fresh.

The Austrians would be laughing at us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

There are a few steakhouses in Adelaide, but they are also disappearing fast, one in particular in the city has a great reputation & has been doing great steaks etc for over 40 years.

Yes, the ol' steakhouse in Oz is taking a bit of a hit - suspect the save the planet mobs who all want us to eat crickets has had an impact, sadly.

There is a steak house in Melbourne which I reckon is one of the finest places I've ever eaten at. Vlado's in Richmond. (sorry Sainter not in London)....It's an institution here in Melbourne - the most incredible steaks cooked over charcoal. 

https://www.vlados.com.au/menu/

image_2022-12-30_090442653.png

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

So much left over charcoal smoked chicken - drumsticks, fillets and whole birds....what to do? 

Well I made a sort of mushroom buttery sauce number with macaroni to go with the smoked chicken pieces and the Bride well - she just went  crazy and did a sorta drumstick bone with shredded chicken formed around the bone to look a bit like a real chicken drumstick. Twas amaze balls TBH. Well played by her I say.

321140487_841579196946554_7178593390471538275_n.jpg

322050503_627068566142418_8407265156452519089_n.jpg

321601134_514413177348673_8125786482100840367_n.jpg

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mickep said:

So much left over charcoal smoked chicken - drumsticks, fillets and whole birds....what to do? 

Well I made a sort of mushroom buttery sauce number with macaroni to go with the smoked chicken pieces and the Bride well - she just went  crazy and did a sorta drumstick bone with shredded chicken formed around the bone to look a bit like a real chicken drumstick. Twas amaze balls TBH. Well played by her I say.

Looks good Mick & very ingenious. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Last night some marinated chicken thighs in a Middle Eastern Rub, not bad, I decided to have a TV dinner so the last phot is not all that good. I only ate one of them & that was heaps.

Looks great mate. Good to see you keeping up with your greens too Phil. 🥗

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Back to the fat on meat discussion: steak fat - ugh, pork fat yuck but yum if crackling is done just right.

But no-one has mentioned sheep fat - IMHO (I'm getting with the lingo!) the fat on a nice juicy shoulder chop is very good if crisped up just right. Due to past work and present local connections, we usually have our old chest freezer full of cut up sheep with all the good cuts including roast, shoulder, chump chops, cutlets, loin, shanks, liver, and all the scraps for making soup or stews.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, stquinto said:

If I can get hold of it, I grill a marrowbone split down the middle and scrape the goo onto the steak, it is really beefin' glorious 😉

Your Dr. must have to stand on a step ladder to read your Cholesterol chart.  💛📈

I had an uncle who used to eat all the marrow out of any lamb roast or lamb chop bones at the end of the meal.  He would suck those bones dry.  It was the end of him too at 47 years account a heart attack.  He was a heavy smoker too but!

Edited by iBooz2
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, Mickep said:

321140487_841579196946554_7178593390471538275_n.jpg

322050503_627068566142418_8407265156452519089_n.jpg

321601134_514413177348673_8125786482100840367_n.jpg

Glorious stuff Mick! Lucky man to have all that help in the kitchen 😉

I would too, bit it would be veggie stuff as my dearest wife is one…Which has its place, I’m not a total carnivore (well, I eat chips anyway)

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Your Dr. must have to stand on a step ladder to read your Cholesterol chart.  💛📈

I had an uncle who used to eat all the marrow out of any lamb roast or lamb chop bones at the end of the meal.  He would suck those bones dry.  It was the end of him too at 47 years account a heart attack.  He was a heavy smoker too but!

Good point Boozer, I only have the bones a cuppla times a year. I should check the cholesterol stuff out more often I suppose. Practically everything dished up is homemade and made from scratch mind, and over here you can’t buy that many “ready meals”. I’d be more concerned about having too many cheese fondues - now that’ll thicken up yer arteries 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yep, I agree all that muck is not good for you.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jennyss said:

I gave my husband steak knives for Christmas. Last night I cooked Steak Diane from the Women's Weekly Original Cookbook 1984 and it was very yummy. I forgot to include the knife on the first photo!

Steak Diane.jpg

steak knife (2).jpg

That looks wonderful Jenny! Yummy and healthy too 👍

Nice knives too 😃

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

I gave my husband steak knives for Christmas. Last night I cooked Steak Diane from the Women's Weekly Original Cookbook 1984 and it was very yummy. I forgot to include the knife on the first photo!

Looks awesome Jenny. I used to love steak Diane at the pub. You've inspired me to have a crack at this. Cheers!

• Like 3