Coopers Community

keggerator series x in hot shed?

jamiek86

6 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@MUZZY im also not very patient and not at all looking forward to it but just can't wait for the reward at the end.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit jealous, Jamie. I hope it all goes smoothly for you. Then I'll be picking your brains on what to do and not do and then once I get all that information I'll still be procrastinating on whether to get kegs. 😄 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@Red devil 44 think I.have check valve will look for arrow on it but grey one looks like the pic they gave me 1.5m 4mm lines

Ok mate, just take your time. I like to be organised and if the sh%t hits the fan when the LHBS store is closed I have a spares kit I put together, large I did myself, small kit you can buy from Kegland, worth it in my opinion. I always like to have spare gas & beer posts on hand also, as they are only plastic, but you can upgrade to the steel ones. If you get stuck mate just sing out, even during the week as I will be WFH so will be available to assist if need be, you’ll get the hang of it and the rewards are even better. 

FC40102C-1636-4AA6-B8C3-E19464105ADB.jpeg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit jealous, Jamie. I hope it all goes smoothly for you. Then I'll be picking your brains on what to do and not do and then once I get all that information I'll still be procrastinating on whether to get kegs. 😄 

I was almost going to go straight into kegs when started brewing again but changed my mind hundred times over. went spent heaps of money on bottles again then got sick of washing them and all the space they take up stacking in different places. I changed my mind a dozen times since heard the series x was coming out then Thursday night said f it im not working tomorrow so im going to pick one up. I doubt you'll be picking my brain for much I'd be surprised if I even get it together without ringing the local gas fitter to come out for a hundred an hour and saying get it done in an hour 🤣

8 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Red devil 44 yes mate taking my time not starting on it until next week so trying get all info now what size lines have you gotyon yours? how often have you had to replace plastic lines?

Beer Lines are 8mm OD ( Outside Diameter ) x 5mm ID ( Inside Diameter ) x 2m Long Coiled up above the keg, & cable tied. 
‘The beer line is the critical one, gas doesn’t really matter but they are the same size.
Never had an issue and never replaced at them at this stage, both Kegerator & Keezer have been in operation 2 1/2 yrs. 

If you leave the delivery lines below the keg dangling you could get a lot of frothing in your lines, just a little tip. 
Beer line length is critical, gas line length is not.
I would assist if you were near but not sure of your location, I’m in SE Qld. 

• Like 2

Hi @jamiek86, In case you have not found them, I found the videos by The Home Brew Network on Youtube really good for putting my Series X together.  Still, I took two days to do it (world's greatest procrastinator).  David Heath Homebrew also has a good one.  That reminds me, I must cut down the font hose.

Here's a photo of inside my kegerator

IMG_1848.JPG.f0b2e0b2f3fb2801c0563982d85cc5f2.JPG

HOT TIPS:

1. Different coloured insulation tape on the corresponding pairs of gas and beer hose, also at the splitter
  2. Velcro straps to hold coils of beer hose in order.
  3. Make sure the fittings inside the font do not touch, or they might leak
Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Beer Lines are 8mm OD ( Outside Diameter ) x 5mm ID ( Inside Diameter ) x 2m Long Coiled up above the keg, & cable tied. 
‘The beer line is the critical one, gas doesn’t really matter but they are the same size.
Never had an issue and never replaced at them at this stage, both Kegerator & Keezer have been in operation 2 1/2 yrs. 

If you leave the delivery lines below the keg dangling you could get a lot of frothing in your lines, just a little tip. 
Beer line length is critical, gas line length is not.
I would assist if you were near but not sure of your location, I’m in SE Qld. 

ok will have to check mine though one said 4mm on it im in SE NSW I'll get there eventually if play around enough. so you get a good pour from 5mm at 2 metres total length? coil excess line above keg?

Photo from the back.

Non-return valve between gas bottle and splitter - Non-return valve between splitter and each keg - Non-return valve on each tap of splitter - You cannot be too careful!!

Coloured insultation tap to identify which line is which.

Splitter held in place with self adhesive Velcro like in The Home Brew Network video.

IMG_2085.JPG.b24ccfb35bd8b1ba3c21a9210692e88d.JPG

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

ok will have to check mine though one said 4mm on it im in SE NSW I'll get there eventually if play around enough. so you get a good pour from 5mm at 2 metres total length? coil excess line above keg?

Perfect pour every time, just poured a NEIPA from my keezer.

Pic below. 

F5A3095B-AD3A-425E-B508-7079A64DA920.jpeg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

coil excess line above keg?

See coils held in place with Velcro in my photo.

I started with 3 metres of 4mm ID beer line on each tap.  I have shortened them to 2 metres.  I found the pour very slow on the splitter lines closest to the gas-in end.  But I also have the two non-return valves, plus the built in ones on the splitter taps.  Not sure if you need three of them though.  Apparently you have to increase the serving pressure by about 2psi for each non-return valve. 

The White line is for Water, I did not shorten it.  The water is less viscous so flows fine.  The far right line is blue tape, which sometimes gets confusing when replacing my water keg (water is blue, right?)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I keep my keezer and Kegerator @ 3 degrees also, they are under my house which is generally cool under there, even on a stinking hot day in SEQLD 

I started mine at 3°C.  The beer made my teeth numb.  I upped it to 4°C. 

Kegerator is inside the house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The White line is for Water, I did not shorten it.  The water is less viscous so flows fine.  The far right line is blue tape, which sometimes gets confusing when replacing my water keg (water is blue, right?)

all depends on how you look at it clear in a glass blue in the ocean. I'm not sure if I'll have the trouble of it being too cold my computer room i plan to put it has no cooling and will just about be as hot as the shed i might have to crack a window every now and again for air flow

you find 4mm at 2meters is ok to crank up pressure a little for a gassy beer if need be?

Edited by jamiek86
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Perfect pour every time, just poured a NEIPA from my keezer.

Pic below. 

F5A3095B-AD3A-425E-B508-7079A64DA920.jpeg

thirsty already looking at it i dont think my first couple will last very long ill have to eventually drink my bottles long enough to get at least 2 kegs full at once

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

thirsty already looking at it i dont think my first couple will last very long ill have to eventually drink my bottles long enough to get at least 2 kegs full at once

Think it’s 2 1/2 cartons to a 19L keg from memory, not bad, just put a K & K Stone & Wood Clone down, its Mickey Mouse 👍

$45 for S & W kit, includes everything from my LHBS

2 1/2 Cartons of S&W from Dan’s @ say $70 a carton = $175 

Go figure, and it tastes pretty close 🍻🍻

Just drinking a Little Creatures Clone now, that is really nice too.

Except I have a tight ar%e cousin who lives 2 streets away loves walking over and drinking ( as he calls it, free grog off the tap ), then staggers home.

Thats when my wife gets the poops with him drinking all my grog and not offering any money towards ingredients.

• Sad 3

58 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Photo from the back.

Non-return valve between gas bottle and splitter - Non-return valve between splitter and each keg - Non-return valve on each tap of splitter - You cannot be too careful!!

Coloured insultation tap to identify which line is which.

Splitter held in place with self adhesive Velcro like in The Home Brew Network video.

IMG_2085.JPG.b24ccfb35bd8b1ba3c21a9210692e88d.JPG

This is very interesting. A couple of questions so I can get this right.

The manifold provides gas only to 4 kegs ?

What do the the other two lines do/connect to ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

This is very interesting. A couple of questions so I can get this right.

The manifold provides gas only to 4 kegs ?

What do the the other two lines do/connect to ?

was just about to ask same he only had 2 kegs in picture but he did say something about container for cleaning line's im confused lol @Shamus O'Sean is that the standard regulator that comes with it then you added the manifold instead of plastic splitters like they gave me?

6 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Cheers, Popo.
I have no doubt there'd be benefits in kegging but not being a very handy type I can foresee some frustrations when things don't go as planned. I'm one of those guys that swears my head off and throws my arms around because a door handle won't screw back on properly. Changing a seal or a cracked disconnect has got murder rampage written all over it for me. 😄 

Haha. Truth be told, I can be much the same. My strongest childhood memories are of dad swearing at the disassembled mower in the carport. I reckon I got it from him.

Once you get past the little frustrations it's easy sailing though.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Popo yes I've watched their video until it got to the gas part it was ok in the video used a manifold thinking I might be better off getting one straight away and the longer hose to stop the mucking around down track. 

@MUZZY

I haven't watched the videos Shamus has mentioned, but by looking at his tidy job, they'd be worth a watch too.

If you've got the gear to get it up and running, I'd do it without the manifold and get your head around things. The manifold will be an easy addition down the track.

1 minute ago, Popo said:

I haven't watched the videos Shamus has mentioned, but by looking at his tidy job, they'd be worth a watch too.

If you've got the gear to get it up and running, I'd do it without the manifold and get your head aroundthings. The manifold will be an easy addition down the track.

I wouldn't usually worry about it but the video I watched was with a manifold and I need to go back to lhbs for the longer lines so I reckon 2 birds with one stone 😃

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

you find 4mm at 2meters is ok to crank up pressure a little for a gassy beer if need be?

Just to clarify: I have 4mm ID beer lines and 5mm ID gas lines.  I do not think it matters what diameter the gas lines are.  Either way, they are fine to gas up at 40psi.  I do 40psi for 24 hours almost always for a full keg.  During this time, the manifold taps to the other kegs are turned off (they still have enough pressure to serve that night).  After 24 hours, close the subject keg's manifold tap, release pressure on gas cylinder side, turn pressure back to 12psi (serving pressure), turn other manifold taps back on, burp the new keg a few times via the pressure relief valve.  Then ready to go.  The first few pours are usually a bit fizzy, so I might just leave it to sit for 5 minutes, then top up.

I have about 2 metres of 4mm ID and this seems to be fine for fizzier brews.

• Like 1