Coopers Community

keggerator series x in hot shed?

jamiek86

20 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think you will do fine, mate.  

I was paranoid when doing mine.  I am a soft handed office worker who knows nothing about gas or tradie matters.  I kept thinking, if I stuff this up its $1k down the drain.

On the bright side, CO2 does not catch fire.

thats an upside i suppose no fire the missus will be happy with that. so the check valves for almost $10 are the non return valves I need? and the 8mm is the outside diameter it fits into now I'm starting to get somewhere and just watched a video with no sound at work and it makes a little more sense. so without going overboard like you lol I need how many non return for 2 keg set up 2 for manifold for each line to keg and 1 for regulator =3?

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

thats an upside i suppose no fire the missus will be happy with that. so the check valves for almost $10 are the non return valves I need? and the 8mm is the outside diameter it fits into now I'm starting to get somewhere and just watched a video with no sound at work and it makes a little more sense. so without going overboard like you lol I need how many non return for 2 keg set up 2 for manifold for each line to keg and 1 for regulator =3?

I reckon that one non-return valve in the line between your regulator and the manifold will be enough.  It is the regulator you are protecting.

Worst case, if you get beer back into the manifold it can be cleaned.

Most manifolds come with non-return capability built into the ball valve taps. anyway.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I reckon that one non-return valve in the line between your regulator and the manifold will be enough.  It is the regulator you are protecting.

Worst case, if you get beer back into the manifold it can be cleaned.

Most manifolds come with non-return capability built into the ball valve taps. anyway.

one it is and maby a spare thanks mate

7 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

one it is and maby a spare thanks mate

Spares are a good thing.  For four kegs I bought ten of just about everything

• 10 beer disconnects, using all but 2
  • 10 gas disconnects, using all but 2
  • 20 Screw on to push in fittings (for the 20 disconnects)
  • 10 non return valves (push in), got a couple spare
  • 10 joiners (push in), have not used 1 yet
  • 1 keg spares kit
  • 10 plastic carbonation caps
  • Thanks 1

@JamieK1, you also asked about my cleaning bottle.  This is what I use:

IMG_1798.JPG.6cc2a11f9449f5d337f7a33402fe4d67.JPG

It is just a garden sprayer from Bunnings, with the wand cut off and a plastic carbonation cap fitted to the end of the tube.

• I make up about 3L of cleaning solution in the bottle. 
  • Pump up the pressure. 
  • Connect the line's beer disconnect to the carbonation cap.
  • Run about 0.5L of cleaner through the line.
  • Close the tap and leave sitting for 5-10 minutes.
  • Repeat until all the cleaner is run through
  • Rinse out the bottle.
  • Put about 3L of warm water into the bottle.
  • Pump up the pressure.
  • Push the water through the line to rinse it out.

I previously put a litre of sanitiser into the bottle and push enough into the line to fill it, then leave until ready to attach a keg.  Now I just put sanitiser into a used PET water bottle, fitted with a carbonation cap.  Attach the beer disconnect, open the tap, and squeeze the bottle to get the line filled with sanitiser.  Then leave until ready to use.

• Like 5

@Shamus O'Sean thanks for all those post mate and photos I just ordered a whole heap of extras and spare parts myself as I would rather wait and build it properly the first time rather than just try to get it going then change things. i noticed most people use those duo tight disconnect instead of clamping the hoses like come in kit so i got extra of them as only got 2 with everything with fridge.  Also a double manifold as i can never see myself carbing or serving more than 2 at time I only have one mate who doesn't stick his nose up at my brew so only having 2 different sorts on tap will never be problem for under supply or variety. 10 meters of 5mm ID hose and 2 non return valves. so what I dont use plus what came with it are all spares and yes I got a tube of lube as well so I'm ready for a couple of scenarios 😆

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Spares are a good thing.  For four kegs I bought ten of just about everything

• 10 beer disconnects, using all but 2
  • 10 gas disconnects, using all but 2
  • 20 Screw on to push in fittings (for the 20 disconnects)
  • 10 non return valves (push in), got a couple spare
  • 10 joiners (push in), have not used 1 yet
  • 1 keg spares kit
  • 10 plastic carbonation caps

Geez Shamus, your as bad as me for spares, can never have enough I reckon just in case the sh&t hits the fan on a weekend or public holiday 🤣

8 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Geez Shamus, your as bad as me for spares, can never have enough I reckon just in case the sh&t hits the fan on a weekend or public holiday 🤣

you could almost build a spare keezer just in case then only need a power point

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

you could almost build a spare keezer just in case then only need a power point

Next one I build will be a converted fridge, easier on the back loading kegs in & out, as my current keezer is a chest freezer.

Keezer MK2 will be on the horizon next year me thinks 🤣🤣🍻🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Next one I build will be a converted fridge, easier on the back loading kegs in & out, as my current keezer is a chest freezer.

Keezer MK2 will be on the horizon next year me thinks 🤣🤣🍻🍻

sounds good its usually the mk2 versions that break sound barriers and so on your can break the chilling/gassing barrier

• Haha 2

@Shamus O'Sean @Red devil 44 so guys I tried starting on this keggerator today and I can say I'm about ready to full on crack it well actually I already have lol. I'll put up a picture of what I've got but how come the parts I have dont fit into each other like they should or like in your pic Shamus. the duo tight fitting you have is on the line then into your black for beer and white for gas. do you think I could get it to fit? is your fitting push in or twist? mine are push in and assuming she gave me wrong ones. the duo tight dont fit onto the manifold like in set up video either as that my manifold also has push in fittings not screw. is there anything else I need to make this work apart from what's in the pic?20201217_153912.thumb.jpg.62fd3f750768c60ba481af17363c3e48.jpg

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@Shamus O'Sean @Red devil 44 so guys I tried starting on this keggerator today and I can say I'm about ready to full on crack it well actually I already have lol. I'll put up a picture of what I've got but how come the parts I have dont fit into each other like they should or like in your pic Shamus. the duo tight fitting you have is on the line then into your black for beer and white for gas. do you think I could get it to fit? is your fitting push in or twist? mine are push in and assuming she gave me wrong ones. the duo tight dont fit onto the manifold like in set up video either as that my manifold also has push in fittings not screw. is there anything else I need to make this work apart from what's in the pic?20201217_153912.thumb.jpg.62fd3f750768c60ba481af17363c3e48.jpg

Hey mate, the valves and gas & beer posts are a barbed fitting, which means you have to either have to have crimps to go over them or use a hose clamp.

Looks like your others are the duo-tights, I assuming the one on the left is female X female, push in hose one side and a 6mm or 8mm thread on the other.

You can get threaded gas &beer posts but the LHBS haven’t supplied you with them, not sure why, I can take a pic of my set-up to give you a better idea if you want ? 

RD44

11 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hey mate, the valves and gas & beer posts are a barbed fitting, which means you have to either have to have crimps to go over them or use a hose clamp.

Looks like your others are the duo-tights, I assuming the one on the left is female X female, push in hose one side and a 6mm or 8mm thread on the other.

You can get threaded gas &beer posts but the LHBS haven’t supplied you with them, not sure why, I can take a pic of my set-up to give you a better idea if you want ? 

RD44

5 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

So, left pic is gas coming in to the 2 x valve manifold, then out of the manifold to the keg 2nd pic (grey gas ) , black is beer to the tap, hope this helps mate.

5BE5525F-F2CD-4A8A-A32F-007D43A25451.jpeg

8D38E5BC-9888-4A4E-BE83-010ACE030915.jpeg

no worries thanks so you can get the fittings where you screw the duo tight fittings into look at Shamus pic on p3 one end in line other into the gas and beer connection so he must have the screw in ones? ok I will see how I go tomorrow with the crimps they just look dodgy and hard to use i though I would be better using duo tight.

20 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

no worries thanks so you can get the fittings where you screw the duo tight fittings into look at Shamus pic on p3 one end in line other into the gas and beer connection so he must have the screw in ones? ok I will see how I go tomorrow with the crimps they just look dodgy and hard to use i though I would be better using duo tight.

Either or mate, I haven’t had any troubles with the barbed fittings and crimps, but as the lines perish I will replace with duo-tights probably. 

Either or mate, I haven’t had any troubles with the barbed fittings and crimps, but as the lines perish I will replace with duo-tights probably. 

Unless you can get your Industry Mates to provide some very expensive more upmarket ones I would like to suggest Reddler?! 😁

Edited by Bearded Burbler

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Unless you can get your Industry Mates to provide some very expensive more upmarket ones I would like to suggest Reddler?! 😁

Yeah I’ve got a few Pneumatics Courses to deliver in February 2021, so will be sourcing some good stuff from the company 😜😜

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hahaha mate old but good 😆

Yeah at the time I built my keezer I don’t think the other fittings were readily available, so I just crimped them, because I have a high pressure & a low pressure manifold and even on the high pressure they are rated and fine, never had a leak with them so far. 
So if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

No real point in upgrading as the keezer MK 2 ( upright fridge ) is in the planning stages for 2021, then will change to all push in fittings, having said that in my time in the Gas Industry I have seen push in fittings leak in various applications. 

• Like 1

Yeah at the time I built my keezer I don’t think the other fittings were readily available, so I just crimped them, because I have a high pressure & a low pressure manifold and even on the high pressure they are rated and fine, never had a leak with them so far. 
So if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

No real point in upgrading as the keezer MK 2 ( upright fridge ) is in the planning stages for 2021, then will change to all push in fittings, having said that in my time in the Gas Industry I have seen push in fittings leak in various applications. 

thanks mate I will give it another crack tomorrow do you think I.can find my crimping tool? lol it just shits me they sell u stuff one way but the instruction videos modify shit and do it different thanks for the help I was about ready to blow up. the missus hasn't even noticed I cut into the carpet getting the freezer out of way for the keggerator. I'll have to put up with her eyes rolling again and for f sakes when she finally sees it I cut the strand off so it doesn't stick out as much. @Bearded Burbler thanks for your input too mate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hey @jamiek86, I am lucky that nuthin' sh1ts me.

Just kidding.  I would have put the kegerator out on the naturestrip for hard rubbish collection by now. 

My manifold had the barbed fittings.  But I did not have stepless clamps or a tool to crimp them with.  Back to the LHBS and Bunnings for the tool.  Then, do you think I could get the 4mm ID line onto the barbs.  Back to the LHBS for 5mm ID line.

I did go with the screw in fitting on the gas and beer disconnects.  Hence, the screw-on duotights you see in the photos.  You can also get screw on swivel nut and barb to convert the disconnect to a barbed fitting.  You probably got one of these on the gas out side of your regulator.

You are probably better off with the barbed fittings and the stepless clamps.  Almost no risk compared to the duotights.  As I noted earlier I had an issue with one screw on duotight.  I re-tightened it enough for it to seal.  Make sure you do not over tighten them, if you end up using them.  The advice is finger tight, then nip up with a spanner/shifter by 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn.  The dodgy one took about 1-1/2 turn to seal.  All of the others (about 15 or so were good after 3/4 turn).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @jamiek86, I am lucky that nuthin' sh1ts me.

Just kidding.  I would have put the kegerator out on the naturestrip for hard rubbish collection by now. 

My manifold had the barbed fittings.  But I did not have stepless clamps or a tool to crimp them with.  Back to the LHBS and Bunnings for the tool.  Then, do you think I could get the 4mm ID line onto the barbs.  Back to the LHBS for 5mm ID line.

I did go with the screw in fitting on the gas and beer disconnects.  Hence, the screw-on duotights you see in the photos.  You can also get screw on swivel nut and barb to convert the disconnect to a barbed fitting.  You probably got one of these on the gas out side of your regulator.

You are probably better off with the barbed fittings and the stepless clamps.  Almost no risk compared to the duotights.  As I noted earlier I had an issue with one screw on duotight.  I re-tightened it enough for it to seal.  Make sure you do not over tighten them, if you end up using them.  The advice is finger tight, then nip up with a spanner/shifter by 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn.  The dodgy one took about 1-1/2 turn to seal.  All of the others (about 15 or so were good after 3/4 turn).

thanks mate makes me feel a bit better was thinking im just crap and can't do stuff. for the money a keggerator costs you would think it would be simple I reckon I'll give the clamps a go tomorrow and see how far I get trying to push the hose on and crimp or clamp it up ill probably be going to hardware store for crimper and then find mine 😅 lucky I went ahead and got myself 10m of 5mm ID hose am guessing ill be using a bit of lube or stretching the end a bit though first try this arvo was no good

26 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

ill be using a bit of lube or stretching the end a bit though first try this arvo was no good

I dunked mine in hot tap water for a few minutes.  Mind you just the first centimetre.  I firstly put too much in the hot water and had a few centimetres of jello tubing and could not get leverage to get it on.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I dunked mine in hot tap water for a few minutes.  Mind you just the first centimetre.  I firstly put too much in the hot water and had a few centimetres of jello tubing and could not get leverage to get it on.

good advice thanks I did see a video about this and debated the stretching via heat or force

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

good advice thanks I did see a video about this and debated the stretching via heat or force

As shamus said, dunk in some hot water, if you have a pair of pointy nose pliers you can insert them into the tube to stretch it out slightly, then the crimp will form the seal.

Grab a spray bottle of soapy water and when it’s all assembled spray around and do a leak check, you will soon know if it’s leaking. 

• Like 2