Coopers Community

keggerator series x in hot shed?

jamiek86

@Red devil 44 no apology needed appreciate the help but sometimes people need to sweat on things and figure it out. yes I was a bit afraid to try things as its all pressurised and was worried of blowing something up. I also had my missus in my ear dont blow shit up tell me when your turning it on so she could keep away. and then she doesn't like the noise as the gas goes in and was less impressed when I said I'd be gassing it low over 7 days lol the joys.

4 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Red devil 44 no apology needed appreciate the help but sometimes people need to sweat on things and figure it out. yes I was a bit afraid to try things as its all pressurised and was worried of blowing something up. I also had my missus in my ear dont blow shit up tell me when your turning it on so she could keep away. and then she doesn't like the noise as the gas goes in and was less impressed when I said I'd be gassing it low over 7 days lol the joys.

Yeah that’s a standard fear for people who haven’t been exposed to gases and their properties, so don’t feel afraid, once you get the hang of it you will smash it mate.

Remember CO2 is non flammable, but is prone to temperature change, all that means is on a stinking hot day say here in SEQLD the cylinder pressure can rise, freezing cold in winter, it will drop slightly, it all relative to temp, don’t be alarmed as a slight pressure rise won’t affect the cylinder, as they are tested and rated to 10 times the pressure you will use, plus they have a PRV ( Pressure Release Valve ) on them. 

The 2 keys to good beer delivery and a good pour is temperature and pressure, get those right your laughing.

My serving temp and pressure here in Qld would be different to say a guy in Tassie. 
That will be something you can tweak with once you get comfortable.

Happy Brewing RD44

gassing her up on 100 kpa first pilsner was clear and tasted good flat before kegged. a little splashing caused by bench ran it from not high enough hose too short after got to full to hold on angle gulped through hose a bit and was filling from top not bottom. oxidisation anyone? hopefully not when fridge  cools down enough I might bump up gas a bit and rock it around and have first pour tonight its so exiting no way this was going to age lol.

edit burped it about 8 times to make sure

20201224_134956.jpg

Edited by jamiek86
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@jamiek86, you might need some punctuation in your previous post.  Looks like it was typed by a young fella on prom night.

punctuation never was a strong thing of mine putting sentences together without full stops is my specialty when in a hurry

each to their own undercarbonated even though done the shaking around at 30psi about 4 times only for 30 seconds though was bit nervous first time with the gas might just put on 25 psi overnight and try tomorrow arvo when done rounds between few different houses for lunch 

20201224_171116.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Red devil 44 big thanks for help why building it and others for advice.  is it best to disconnect beer line why gassing? i turned gas off to connect but assuming because they pop on and off it wouldn't really matter

You have got non-return valves, so you should be right. 

It is probably good practice to turn the gas off and degas the line before connecting.  Minimises sudden pressure changes.  Once connected, open the gas and adjust the pressure. 

I think there is no real issue in connecting the beer line while gassing. I do it every time.  Especially the back pair of kegs. It's easier to hook up thr gas line, then the beer line, put the keg in the back, then gas it up. 

If the keg has some pressure in it already, you will get some beer pushed into the line.  This gets tipped with the first glass worth when I start pouring.  It's  a mixture of sanitiser, uncarbonated beer and yeast that gets sucked up the beer dip tube. Pretty sure I don't want to drink that. 

PS Merry Christmas mate

Edited by Shamus O'Sean

• 4 weeks later...

@Pale Man @Hairy @Graubart @Shamus O'Sean @Red devil 44 and the rest of the keggers sorry I couldn't tag you all. First time my keggerator that thankfully didn't end up in hot shed has had 2 kegs in it. Although the bootmaker on left wont last long when I return from holidays Thursday leaving tomorrow for short trip.  I will be brewing an 86 days pilsner to fill it again then purchase and additional keg to put a pale ale in hopped with eclipse. I will endeavour to always have at least 3 gassed brews in it before start drinking one and hopefully make my way up to 4 its maximum holding.

I even made up a song that goes

I've got 2 kegs and one is Lagering that repeats over and over and the missus said its crap but feelings not quite hurt yet too much excitement. Currently gassing both on 13psi little paranoid about it why go away but all seems well atm.  Added sazz hop tea to the GCL while running beer into keg 25 gram sazz 12 min boil 15 gram sazz 10 min steep. One taster PET bottle to try in a month after carb will put in fridge for week 😃

20210117_171330.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I love the shiny new kegs @jamiek86.  I am soooo envious.  Nice and straight, no dents, no scrapes, no half ripped off stickers, rubber top and bases nice and solid, with no home made reinforcing to fix historical breaks.

I think your song is ace.  Beer drinking songs do not need to be complex.

thanks mate ill be  adding 2 older ones to the family next week with all that you spoke of dents etc a bloke from work git spares 60 each compared to almost 130 for these or whatever I paid. thinking at very least would have to replace a $2 lid ring? 

and do you think I.can find the kegland stickers that came with them to write what they have in them? of course not lol

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1