Coopers Community

keggerator series x in hot shed?

jamiek86

5 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

The manifold provides gas only to 4 kegs ?

What do the the other two lines do/connect to ?

Four lines out of the manifold, one to each keg.

Other two lines?  Not sure what you mean.  Maybe your are talking about my silly arrangement out of the regulator.  

• Screw on duotight
  • Non-return valve
  • Duotight push on connector into a plastic carbonation cap
  • Gas disconnect to Gas disconnect jumper
  • Another plastic carbonation cap with a push on duotight
  • Then into the manifold.

I could easily have a gas disconnect after the non-return valve, to connect straight to the carbonation cap out of the manifold.

5 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

was just about to ask same he only had 2 kegs in picture but he did say something about container for cleaning line's im confused lol @Shamus O'Sean is that the standard regulator that comes with it then you added the manifold instead of plastic splitters like they gave me?

There is actually four kegs in the picture.  The arrows point to the coloured insulation tape.  You cannot see the blue one in the photo.

345215144_IMG_1848warrows.jpg.edb6dfdea4fe8652e8fc224418cdcf29.jpg

Here's a different view with the front right keg removed (cos it was empty ☹️)

PODO2775.thumb.JPG.517fc22de4abbe78dad0731757d63743.JPG

Yes, it is the standard Mark 4 regulator that comes with the Series X.  I added the manifold (got one second hand with some other stuff) instead of the splitters (T-pieces).  The manifold lets me turn off the operating kegs while I gas up a new one (See my reply to Pickles' question).  With splitters, you will have to disconnect the kegs ones already gassed up, while you fast carb a new one at 40psi.  Alternatively, if you are happy to wait, a keg will carbonate fine after about a week on serving pressure.

11 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Four lines out of the manifold, one to each keg.

Other two lines?  Not sure what you mean.  Maybe your are talking about my silly arrangement out of the regulator.  

• Screw on duotight
  • Non-return valve
  • Duotight push on connector into a plastic carbonation cap
  • Gas disconnect to Gas disconnect jumper
  • Another plastic carbonation cap with a push on duotight
  • Then into the manifold.

I could easily have a gas disconnect after the non-return valve, to connect straight to the carbonation cap out of the manifold.

Yes, my question was not clear.

I was particularly interested in the two lines which are hanging down. On reflection would I be right in saying that they are connected at the bottom, which isn't clear in the photo. There just seems to be a lot of hardware on it.

36 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

Yes, my question was not clear.

I was particularly interested in the two lines which are hanging down. On reflection would I be right in saying that they are connected at the bottom, which isn't clear in the photo. There just seems to be a lot of hardware on it.

Yep.  They are the one line connected at the bottom.  There is more hardware than necessary. 

I do not know why I put the orange carbonation cap out of the regulator.  It seemed like a good idea at the time. 🤪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

has anyone actually used the 1.5m beer lines with success?

I do not use the 1.5m line.  Mine are about 2 metres, as noted previously.  However, I think I could shorten them to 1.5 metres.  The flow on my 2 metre lines is still sometimes a little slow or a bit fizzy.  I am just too scared to shorten them any more in case I get gushing out of the taps, and have to ditch the 1.5's and get replacement 2's.

9 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

has anyone actually used the 1.5m beer lines with success? or do they purposely sell you smaller line? @Bearded Burbler what length have you got on your pluto gun?

I use the the 1.5m lines that came supplied. I figured I'd put them in and change if I needed to - which I haven't. All seems to pour well.

• Like 1

thanks guys at @Popo @Shamus O'Sean well I've got alot to think about think I might buy myself a double manifold only $16 and a bit of extra line just in case as the devil said for spare.  ill get it posted and if not here by Thursday or Friday I'll start building it with what I've got. confusing times I guess what works for one person may not for another ill have to figure that part out for myself. Has either of you got the springs in taps to make them snap back after pouring like the kegland video?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

has anyone actually used the 1.5m beer lines with success? or do they purposely sell you smaller line? @Bearded Burbler what length have you got on your pluto gun?

3.5m is what CPB Jezza advised and I have used ever since...   Same as @Red devil 44 Big Red's ID OD combo:

Beer Lines are 8mm OD ( Outside Diameter ) x 5mm ID ( Inside Diameter ) 

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nice thonglies @Red devil 44 haha!  Surely you would have steel capped thonglies mate?!

Nah no steel capped thongs mate.

They are falling apart actually, they are my brewing thongs.

Bought them in Seattle USA as they are of my favourite Gridiron team the Seattle Seahawks, go Hawks.

Been to see them play twice now in Seattle, fantastic city actually 😃😃

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Nah no steel capped thongs mate.

They are falling apart actually, they are my brewing thongs.

Bought them in Seattle USA as they are of my favourite Gridiron team the Seattle Seahawks, go Hawks.

Been to see them play twice now in Seattle, fantastic city actually 😃😃

does it really rain alot there like people say? or is it like how people think it rains all the time in tassie but its just a little more than most other places

14 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

does it really rain alot there like people say? or is it like how people think it rains all the time in tassie but its just a little more than most other places

Yeah the locals told me it rains a good 60-70 % of the year.

But the first time I was there for 5 days, no rain.

Second time for 5 days it sprinkled for a day or so, nothing serious. 
Best city in US I’ve visited is Seattle, worst city would be Miami.

Best city in Canada was Montreal, didn’t find any cities I didn’t like in Canada, beautiful place. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Red devil 44 in that spare box do you have a tool for removing lines if need be? if i went to a 5mm instead of 4 would i then need different size non return valves or connections for manifold etc?

Yes you would require different size non-return valves & associated connections.

Below is a removal tool/line snipper  that I have from KegLand. 
‘There isn’t much I don’t have, and being a tradie I have a 3 tier Sidchrome tool chest In my workshop 🤣🤣

EAFD7D4E-BC3F-4DD1-8A6F-CCE5F02E3905.jpeg

1865E6F3-CAA4-452E-948F-E5EC89C55DAD.jpeg

• Haha 1

@Red devil 44 thanks im not even sure if i have everything i need without changing line size the picture shamus put up of back keggerator with manifold doesn't even make sense. Does the manifold just go straight into the bottle then the regulator on other side? lol time for you to relax for bed not everyone has to stay up. Never worked with gas its all foreign i might have to find some videos for gas connections on my break the kegland one skipped those parts just showed sticking it on with adhesive tape.

28 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Red devil 44 thanks im not even sure if i have everything i need without changing line size the picture shamus put up of back keggerator with manifold doesn't even make sense. Does the manifold just go straight into the bottle then the regulator on other side? lol time for you to relax for bed not everyone has to stay up. Never worked with gas its all foreign i might have to find some videos for gas connections on my break the kegland one skipped those parts just showed sticking it on with adhesive tape.

Regulator screws straight into the bottle. Then can have single gas line to the manifold. Then individual gas lines to each keg. Gs lines can be 4 or 5mm - doesn't matter. With the beer lines , the diameter matters as it determines the length of line you need. 4mm has a shorter line (but also harder to get on the barb - need hot water and needle nose pliers to open it a little). There are some onine calculators to determine the length but ball park for a kegerator is 1.5 to 2m for 4mm and 3 to 4m for 5mm. 

7 minutes ago, Dozer71 said:

Regulator screws straight into the bottle. Then can have single gas line to the manifold. Then individual gas lines to each keg. Gs lines can be 4 or 5mm - doesn't matter. With the beer lines , the diameter matters as it determines the length of line you need. 4mm has a shorter line (but also harder to get on the barb - need hot water and needle nose pliers to open it a little). There are some onine calculators to determine the length but ball park for a kegerator is 1.5 to 2m for 4mm and 3 to 4m for 5mm. 

No worries so even that extra 1mm up to 5 makes it easier to get on and off? i think i might go with the 5 then as that seems to be all my local sell. I only got the 2 1.5m 4mm ones because comes with keg just not sure on the non return valves looking on cheeky peak website says check valves and joiners but not what looking for and check valve says suit 8mm lol what a headache.

39 minutes ago, Dozer71 said:

Dozer I understand where you’re coming from but I think he is talking about line sizes fitting into push in fittings, not just barbs ? 

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

Happy to talk you through it mate, via face time if you wish when the time comes ?

11 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

Has either of you got the springs in taps to make them snap back after pouring like the kegland video?

I started with springs in all four taps.  I have removed one because I was getting more frothing from it than the other taps.  Apparently the springs can increase turbulence in the tap.  Makes sense I suppose.  Less foam from that tap now.

It's handy that the springs turn the tap off.  It is a bit annoying that you have to hold the tap "on" when running through cleaner and rinsing water.  I have knocked the un-sprung tap once and lost a splash of beer. 

I do not have a preference between spring or no spring.  The advantages and disadvantages seem to balance out.  I have not rushed to remove my other springs.  But, neither have I rushed to put the spring back into the tap that I removed it from.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Happy to talk you through it mate, via face time if you wish when the time comes ?

no worries i might have a crack at it first and get back to you on that one much appreciated. I have the advantage of my pilsner not being ready to go into it until about Christmas by time ferments and cold crash it if I have trouble Thursday ill shout out on here 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

No worries so even that extra 1mm up to 5 makes it easier to get on and off? i think i might go with the 5 then as that seems to be all my local sell. I only got the 2 1.5m 4mm ones because comes with keg just not sure on the non return valves looking on cheeky peak website says check valves and joiners but not what looking for and check valve says suit 8mm lol what a headache.

Hi Jamie,

I certainly did not want to confuse you.  I use the EVA Barrier line throughout my kegerator.  Both the 4mm ID and 5mm ID are 8mm OD.  They both suit the Duotight push in fittings, such as the check valves.

I used 5mm ID for my gas lines because the manifold has barbed connectors.  It is much easier to get the 5mm ID stuff onto the barbs.

3 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

no worries i might have a crack at it first and get back to you on that one much appreciated. I have the advantage of my pilsner not being ready to go into it until about Christmas by time ferments and cold crash it if I have trouble Thursday ill shout out on here 

I think you will do fine, mate.  

I was paranoid when doing mine.  I am a soft handed office worker who knows nothing about gas or tradie matters.  I kept thinking, if I stuff this up its $1k down the drain.

On the bright side, CO2 does not catch fire.

• Haha 1