Coopers Community

Theakston Old Peculier Old Ale

41 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Thanks Captain,

I checked Brewfather with no results. I'll run with this and see how it turns out.

Cheers,

Hoppy

No worries mate. Hope it turns out for ya. 
Actually looks like a really good recipe. And why I posted it. A lot of recipes in beeersmith and what not really don’t look good. This one however, for this style is great. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2020 at 6:13 PM, Hoppy81 said:

I agree, looks quite nice. I'll post the results when brewed. Cheers

Hey @Hoppy81 I've been just revisiting some old threads doing some research and wondering if you ever did this recipe as I am sure @Graubart would be very interested as we were discussing TOP a little while back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Hey @Hoppy81 I've been just revisiting some old threads doing some research and wondering if you ever did this recipe as I am sure @Graubart would be very interested as we were discussing TOP a little while back.

Hey mate,

No i never did, i might have to revisit this myself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

44 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Hey mate,

No i never did, i might have to revisit this myself.

Hey there Boozer @iBooz2 and @Hoppy81 I added my choc very late in the mash when the X went in so did not result quite dark enough in colour but should be a beaut strong brown ale anyway so am looking forward to that... 1070 down to 1017 in two days w Lally ESB... should be taschteee hopefully....  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Hey there Boozer @iBooz2 and @Hoppy81 I added my choc very late in the mash when the X went in so did not result quite dark enough in colour but should be a beaut strong brown ale anyway so am looking forward to that... 1070 down to 1017 in two days w Lally ESB... should be taschteee hopefully....  

I'm keen to schedule this brew in for one of the next brew days. Did you use Thomas Fawcett grain? i'll be converting it to Gladfield.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

I'm keen to schedule this brew in for one of the next brew days. Did you use Thomas Fawcett grain? i'll be converting it to Gladfield.

Just whatever useful was in store at the time @Hoppy81 - ended up 45% :: 55%  re base malts w Voyager Compass Ale Malt and UK Maris Otter...   reckon that Voyager Veloria would be good... think MO might be pretty important to get that richness tho? 🤔

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

I'd suggest Floor Malted Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise, as used in Timothy Taylor Landlord.  The barley is grown extensively in Northern England (Northumberland) and the Scottish Lowlands.  Theakston at Masham is in the same region as the Maltings so it's a good bet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going to give the extract version a go tomorrow. I brewed a Tim Taylor’s Landlord and an Old Speckled Hen from the same book, but both have had a serious hop fade and what’s left is an insipid, malty brew: quite disappointing after all the effort. 
Any recommendations? Hop tea a few days into the brew or more hops in the boil? 
The thing so attractive about Landlord was the particular grapefruit hop profile: quite unique with such beers from the time - obviously now everything is hops galore

• Like 1

Yep is an AG beaut - as for hops... yer on yer own haha! Really depends on freshness of ingredients and what aroma profile your are chasing -- been more focusing on the yeast and the malts  ; )

image.thumb.png.95b2dc58eafd82ced479a87cce86c4db.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 4

@Hoppy81 @iBooz2 @The Captain!!@Pale Man @Bribie G @disgruntled any of you fellas make brew in the end (other than @Graubart) ?

I ‘m up for the extract version (like from my book above) , but would like to incorporate this ( I ordered the wrong stuff for a different brew and have 3 packs of it)

Alternatively I could save the candi stuff for a Trappist style Dubbel 

AADDCF28-5E8F-4A94-99E4-779A216D8113.jpeg

2 hours ago, stquinto said:

@Hoppy81 @iBooz2 @The Captain!!@Pale Man @Bribie G @disgruntled any of you fellas make brew in the end (other than @Graubart) ?

I ‘m up for the extract version (like from my book above) , but would like to incorporate this ( I ordered the wrong stuff for a different brew and have 3 packs of it)

Alternatively I could save the candi stuff for a Trappist style Dubbel 

AADDCF28-5E8F-4A94-99E4-779A216D8113.jpeg

Hey mate,

Nah, still haven"t brewed it. I'm hoping next week i get to do it.

Can't say i've ever seen that stuff, sounds interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stquinto said:

extract version (like from my book above) 

Agree with @Hoppy81 Hoppy NFI but I sorta think not for the TOP - would do something closer to the book to begin with...  it worked nice for mine... and am keen to try again w the book type approach and run on Carbox rather than Nitro to see how that goes... but hey at the end of the day... whatever works for the Head Brewer at Saint Quinto Brewery 🥳

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, stquinto said:

@stquinto No, sorry matey, have not brewed this recipe yet.  I have a shipload of all the wrong hops for this brew in my freezer so need to use up those first otherwise a big waste of cash and hop freshness.  Maybe when I cull the hop inventory down a fair bit then I will order the right hops for his recipe and give it a crack.  So probably for me it will not be until about 6 months time.

Interested to see others show their results in the meantime.

• Thanks 1