Coopers Community

Pavlova pale ale issue

Waynealford

3 hours ago, Waynealford said:

Anybody done this recipe and found the same?

I did a version of this a while back, when it came out as a Craft Recipe of the Month.  Except I accidentally doubled up on the lactose.  Lactose is virtually unfermentable, so it will leave sweetness in the beer.  My FG was 1.027.  Yours sounds about right and as it has been steady for 4 days I would bottle it or put it through a cold crash if that is your plan.

By the way, mine, with twice as much lactose, was still was a nice beer.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 12/3/2020 at 11:04 AM, RDW said:

Hi. Sorry for resurrecting another old thread...I'm going to be attempting this one this weekend...did you just use the a tin of Passionfruit pulp in syrup (https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/254421/woolworths-passionfruit-pulp-canned) or fresh passion fruit @Shamus O'Sean? Any other tips for a newbie...? Cheers!

Yep, that was the tin I used.

Using the Coopers recipe for inspiration, I actually did this:

• 1.7kg Bootmaker Pale Ale: upping from the North West Pale Ale can (similar EBC, but needs more bitterness, IBU)
  • 25g Galaxy, 5 minute boil (to up the IBU closer to the standard recipe)
  • 100g Light Crystal Malt Grains (hot steeped for 30  minutes, to increase EBC)
  • 1.0kg Light Dry Malt; instead of the 250g Pale Malt Liquid Extract
  • 1kg Lactose (dry); I actually made a mistake here and quadrupled this ingredient
  • 2x170g Passionfruit Pulp; Doubling the base recipe
  • 1tspn Vanilla Essence; Doubling the base recipe
  • Safale US-05 yeast (Harvested from a previous brew)

Made to 22L

Expect a higher Final Gravity (FG) because the lactose does not ferment.  It adds sweetness to the brew, but not as much as the same amount of sugar.  My FG on this one was 1.027.

Good luck with your brew.  I liked mine.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to drum up an old thread again. 

I put down this recipe last friday (decided to do a double batch) and my gravity reads about 1048 as it suggests. However sitting on day 4 now the curve seems to be flat lining on the hydrometer (am using a RAPT Pill) at around 1.020. This seems a bit higher than suggested. Have literally doubled all the ingredients. I am sitting in a fermentation chamber at 20 degrees. I do understand that more lactose the heavier it will be but I would have thought scaling it it should roughly be the same. Is this much higher gravity than the suggest 1008 to 1012 ok. I know it still seems early, but looking at the graph I don't seem much more fermentation happening. 

advice please? 

RAPT Pill.png

3 hours ago, Boehamian said:

Sorry to drum up an old thread again. 

I put down this recipe last friday (decided to do a double batch) and my gravity reads about 1048 as it suggests. However sitting on day 4 now the curve seems to be flat lining on the hydrometer (am using a RAPT Pill) at around 1.020. This seems a bit higher than suggested. Have literally doubled all the ingredients. I am sitting in a fermentation chamber at 20 degrees. I do understand that more lactose the heavier it will be but I would have thought scaling it it should roughly be the same. Is this much higher gravity than the suggest 1008 to 1012 ok. I know it still seems early, but looking at the graph I don't seem much more fermentation happening. 

advice please? 

RAPT Pill.png

Hey mate, 1.020 seems okay.  I got 1.021 in the IanH spreadsheet. See below.

image.thumb.png.1fcc1bc4f9bb6634bc3e00e4561e2182.png

Still, I would up the temperature by 2 degrees for a couple of days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks mate. Would there be a reason why it would be higher gravity when all ingredients are scaled, especially when the OG is the same? Would this not lower the alcohol content significantly? It just seems odd that this would happen?

Also, what is that spreadsheet you are using? Is it possible to get a copy?

2 hours ago, Boehamian said:

Thanks mate. Would there be a reason why it would be higher gravity when all ingredients are scaled, especially when the OG is the same? Would this not lower the alcohol content significantly? It just seems odd that this would happen?

It's a spreadsheet that was developed many years ago, go to this link and download it from the last post 🙂

IanH Spreadsheet

8 hours ago, Boehamian said:

Doubling the batch does not change the calculated OG, FG, ABV, etc.  The spreadsheet has built-in calculations that knows Lactose does not ferment.  Therefore, although Lactose increases your OG, the FG is higher because the sugar from the Lactose is still in the finished beer.

Half batch in the spreadsheet.

image.thumb.png.30cd94e7fc80274ded15f912d8c562a1.png

I did a similar brew to the Pavlova Pale Ale years ago and its FG was 1.024.  But my recipe included 1 kg of Lactose.  Like you I did a double batch, but I accidentally quadrupled the Lactose amount.

Another brewer got a similar FG to you.  See his post here.  And another here.

• Like 1

thanks all for the input, I shall let it sit a few more days then keg away. Just seems very odd that there would be a vast difference between what coopers expect, and what actually happens. Having said that I have noticed that a lot on their kits. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boehamian said:

thanks all for the input, I shall let it sit a few more days then keg away. Just seems very odd that there would be a vast difference between what coopers expect, and what actually happens. Having said that I have noticed that a lot on their kits. 

Yes. Sometimes I think the brewing numbers are done by advertising gurus, not brewers.  Whoever did the calculation counted Lactose as fermentable.  If I change the 250g of Lactose to Dextrose, the spreadsheet gives us a FG of 1.012.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 9:58 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

You probably think pineapple doesn't belong on pizza either.  Laughing emoji.

Pineapple is great. Fresh, canned, as juice, as ice cream, as chocolate covered lumps, in a fruit salad and so on. But never, ever on a pizza. In fact, never cooked at all. Yuck! 🤮

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Pineapple is great. Fresh, canned, as juice, as ice cream, as chocolate covered lumps, in a fruit salad and so on. But never, ever on a pizza. In fact, never cooked at all. Yuck! 🤮

For a retro experience I quite like a good old fashioned Ham Steak with Pineapple meal with potato & banana/fritters & mash with a bottle of Barrosa Pearl or Cold Duck, Joke, something else. 

b2cbd62e466c449462350d342ef970fd.jpg

• Like 3