Coopers Community

twas a good day

MitchBastard

7 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Shiny!!

What will be the maiden brew?? 

Aus Post is delivering a package for me today!!😁

I knew they were shiny but didn’t expect it would double as a make up for the better half. That’s how I’ll sell it to her anyway...

Maiden brew will more than likely be a SMaSH. Some kind of pale looking ale I’d say. 

whats postman pat dropping off??

Edited by MitchBastard

• 1 month later...

I watched a few videos and I must say I like this. I also like the current price of $399 🙂 

The thing is, is it as easy to use as they say? In those videos, it all looks like even I can do this.

I take it you have done a few brews with it by now. Any pitfalls? Anything to watch out for? 

Xmas is around the corner and when I mentioned this the other day, SWMBO signalled the'd be happy for this to be my pressie, provided I use it 🙂 

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

I watched a few videos and I must say I like this. I also like the current price of $399 🙂 

The thing is, is it as easy to use as they say? In those videos, it all looks like even I can do this.

I take it you have done a few brews with it by now. Any pitfalls? Anything to watch out for? 

Xmas is around the corner and when I mentioned this the other day, SWMBO signalled the'd be happy for this to be my pressie, provided I use it 🙂 

I am thinking the same thing for chrissy 😁

Also keen to hear your experiences. 

Mitch. 

I just set up one of those series 4 kegerators to replace my old series 3 one. Certainly having no trouble chilling kegs, and there is a bit more space inside it even though the outer dimensions are a tad smaller. I can put the three kegs in with a small gap between them all which allows better air circulation to keep them all at the same temperature. The inbuilt font fan works well, I have a flooded font but it works just the same as with the usual type they come with. 

You can calibrate them as well to get the display closer to what it is inside it. I haven't really bothered yet though, it's the temperature of the beer in the kegs that's important, and it's around -1 at the moment in the full keg of water I'm using to test it. Right now I'm just figuring out where to set it before the second beer keg goes in. Auto defrost is handy. Hopefully it lasts a while!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

it's the temperature of the beer in the kegs that's important, and it's around -1 at the moment in the full keg of water I'm using to test it. 

dumb question that im probably going to answer myself here... but is the increased pressure in the keg stopping the water freezing at -1'C?

I dunno, there is no pressure in it, just stuck the inkbird probe in and rested the lid over the top, but it's not sealed. The water may well be a slushy in there although I had a cordial and soda water at lunch and it poured fine so maybe the CO2 has some effect. It's at -0.8 and been there for about 5 and a half hours so I'm figuring that's probably as low as it's going on the current setting. I'll see how the soda water gets on and if I start having issues I'll raise the fridge one degree. Beer obviously will be fine. 

7 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I dunno, there is no pressure in it, just stuck the inkbird probe in and rested the lid over the top, but it's not sealed. The water may well be a slushy in there although I had a cordial and soda water at lunch and it poured fine so maybe the CO2 has some effect. It's at -0.8 and been there for about 5 and a half hours so I'm figuring that's probably as low as it's going on the current setting. I'll see how the soda water gets on and if I start having issues I'll raise the fridge one degree. Beer obviously will be fine. 

some googling tells me that water is 0'C freeze, pure ethanol is -177'C. Depending on the ABV of the beer, it will shift further down the line. 

Seems from other poking around that pressure doesn't impact the freezing point (although boiling does drop off soo far to actually skip liquid phase at extremely low pressure)

It also seems like when in a sealed container, water will not freeze due the inability to expands the usual 9% vol. My idiot brain cant understand why, as the CO2 above the water can be compressed. So i might be answering myself again (doing that alot today) but the pressure exerted by the freezing water is prob not enough to compress the gas. But pushing in more CO2 from the bottle thats much higher pressure isnt an issue....

For references, 30PSI is 2.06 bar

1280px-Phase_diagram_of_water_simplified.svg.png