Coopers Community

supermarket brews

worry wort

I'm still thinking about whether to take the supermarket cans back - we're heading down the street later so I thought I'd see if anyone has an opinion about using 1 of them to do a toucan along with (say) a Coopers Real can. I get that the SM cans are not the best but are they bad enough that I can't use them to boost the malt in a brew? I'd not do any hops boil but a steep and then dry hops.

Usable or get my money back?

2 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Got a recipe for the cider?

Now if you were game enough to do it I would go with say 4 bottles of apple juice,  a good amount of lime zest,  some  BE 2, the can of lager, water to make 23 litres and a cider yeast. May need something to back sweeten but not needed if you want it really dry.   Maybe do a 1/2 batch and use the rest in a toucan.  Now there is one caveat I did not advise you to do it and I have not done it.  It is purely your decision.  It will either be an cider or an apple and lime lager but I think it would work. 

On 2/27/2020 at 2:55 PM, Journeyman said:

I saw the Woolies extract cans for $7.33. I bought 2 - my reasoning is, I add hops for bitterness and dry hops anyway, add LDME for body so unless it's got 1080 or something in it, it can't be too bad.

How did your trial of it go? was it noticeably worse than using a Coopers extract?

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Lightning hit a house up the street from me last week and it managed to knock out my NBN as well.

I posted recently about my experience. In a nutshell, the Woolworths lager lacks any kind of bitterness, even when only made to 10L instead of 23L. The resulting beer looked alright, but was carried by the Mosaic hops. I'm not surprised the guy in the video wondered if it was a cider. If you were hard up for cheap LME, you could probably use this can.

20200203_173734024dd3d31d2ad51b.md.jpg

It must be someone else's turn to experiment with this stuff. 😮

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Instigator said:

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Lightning hit a house up the street from me last week and it managed to knock out my NBN as well.

I posted recently about my experience. In a nutshell, the Woolworths lager lacks any kind of bitterness, even when only made to 10L instead of 23L. The resulting beer looked alright, but was carried by the Mosaic hops. I'm not surprised the guy in the video wondered if it was a cider. If you were hard up for cheap LME, you could probably use this can.

It must be someone else's turn to experiment with this stuff. 😮

Hmm... with that info I will give it a try soon. I have some grain I can mash then add hops to the boil for bitterness then again for flavour and aroma. I've never done hops for more than 20 mins to get the amount of bitter I want but then again I've been using (usually) Coopers Real so if I increase the boil time maybe I can get enough bitter to notice.

And at $7.30 it's a VERY cheap can of LME. 😄

What is iso? (that it tasted like)

Edited by Journeyman

10 hours ago, Journeyman said:

What is iso? (that it tasted like)

I'm probably misusing the term, but I'm referring to isomerised hop extract - basically a bittering agent added to adjust the bitterness rather than relying solely on the boil. It could be just me, but to me it tastes metallic and artificial. On the other hand, I haven't used Shepherd's Delight grain before, so maybe that is the source?

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 9:42 PM, Instigator said:

In a nutshell, the Woolworths lager lacks any kind of bitterness, even when only made to 10L instead of 23L. The resulting beer looked alright, but was carried by the Mosaic hops. I'm not surprised the guy in the video wondered if it was a cider. If you were hard up for cheap LME, you could probably use this can.

Looking at IanH's SS, if I made a brew using a Real Ale can, and used the WW can as LME, and did a 30 min boil of mosaic, I get an IBU of 67.7. Now that's using an entry of Coopers LME @ 1.7 kg - I'm assuming the LME has no bitterness by itself?

Is 45 mins too long for a hops boil, risking introducing green grassy flavours or other undesirables?

So will an IBU of 67.7 be high enough to overcome the lack in the WW can? The BU:GU comes in at 67.7/70 = 0.97 - if that's anywhere near the bitterness level will this be undrinkable?

Is there any way a HB'er can measure IBU's actually present in the can? Or is it 'suck it and see'?

Edited by Journeyman

18 hours ago, Journeyman said:

The BU:GU comes in at 67.7/70 = 0.97 - if that's anywhere near the bitterness level will this be undrinkable?

That is starting to get into the range of an IPA so you should be OK with it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

That is starting to get into the range of an IPA so you should be OK with it. 

Well, after today I will have 3 empty FV's and 2 x empty fridges so after a visit to beerbelly I might just go get a can or 2 of the cheap stuff and see what I can make of it. I think it might help to have experienced guys letting me know in advance where it lacks so I can plan to correct it. Good experience I think and if it doesn't work well as a beer, it can be used as LME. 😄

I've decided I don't want to risk a Coopers can on the trial so I'll use 2 x the cheapies. I'll keep the boil down a bit because I figure while the cans might taste like there's no bitter, that surely can't be the case - there's gotta be SOME in there. Given I don't know the actual specs of the cans I don't want to push it too far.

41 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I've decided I don't want to risk a Coopers can on the trial so I'll use 2 x the cheapies. I'll keep the boil down a bit because I figure while the cans might taste like there's no bitter, that surely can't be the case - there's gotta be SOME in there. Given I don't know the actual specs of the cans I don't want to push it too far.

What are you boiling, the wort or just some hops? Not really sure why you would want to boil the wort only to have to cool it down again. 

4 minutes ago, Titan said:

What are you boiling, the wort or just some hops? Not really sure why you would want to boil the wort only to have to cool it down again. 

I'm thinking of doing a partial of Coopers Ale grain to try and give it some body.

Hey @Journeyman, do not tell anybody but I did a brew with the Woolies Homebrand Draught.  It was my tenth brew.

• 1.7 kg HomeBrand Draught
  • 300g LDM
  • 500g BE1
  • 440g Raw Sugar
  • 25g Tettnanger @ 0 for 15min
  • 25g Tettnanger @ 4 days

Tasted better than my first Coopers Lager brew, but that was about it.  I have not used it again.  I figured that by the time I pimped it up with some grains and hops I might as well have bought one of the Coopers International Range cans instead.

Maybe the Homebrand is cheaper than a can of LME, but is it any better?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey @Journeyman, do not tell anybody but I did a brew with the Woolies Homebrand Draught.  It was my tenth brew.

• 1.7 kg HomeBrand Draught
  • 300g LDM
  • 500g BE1
  • 440g Raw Sugar
  • 25g Tettnanger @ 0 for 15min
  • 25g Tettnanger @ 4 days

Tasted better than my first Coopers Lager brew, but that was about it.  I have not used it again.  I figured that by the time I pimped it up with some grains and hops I might as well have bought one of the Coopers International Range cans instead.

Maybe the Homebrand is cheaper than a can of LME, but is it any better?

HEY EVERYBODY!!!  

Nah... just kidding. 😄  

"@0  for 15 mins" means flameout? Or is it whirlpool?

At present the plan is to just use stuff I have before my beerbelly visit. 2 cans with some partial mash, bittering hops and then dry hop. Also gives me a chance to try my new regimen for the Inkbird.

image.png.54d852070c13fd29a2a2feaab52185eb.png