Coopers Community

supermarket brews

worry wort

54 minutes ago, Instigator said:

are we sure the Woollies kits aren't coming off a Coopers production line

Yes we are as that has already been debunked by PB2 ...  I know it is a matter of trust but i believe it ... from my ancient experience with them the Woolies kits are no where near the quality of Coopers products .. . Very pale and insipid looking lemon coloured wort with the 100% homebrew twang ... 

• Confused 1

About 4 years ago when I started brewing again, I was in Coles one day and they had their own brand Lager reduced to $4 (I think. Some silly price).

I bought one, and mentioned to my missus that I wished I'd bought two. A couple of days later she came home with three.

Now bear in mind this was only my second or third brew. No temperature control. Just the can and a kilo of dextrose, in the garage at whatever temperature.
So six weeks later I try one. It was not good.

Over a period of two or three months I threw the ones my missus bought in the bin. She was none the wiser.

I've mentioned this before but a bloke up the road regularly brews the homebrand ones with a kilo of table sugar.
The FV's sit in the window of his shed in full sun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Graculus said:

I've mentioned this before but a bloke up the road regularly brews the homebrand ones with a kilo of table sugar.
The FV's sit in the window of his shed in full sun.

The Ginger bloke would think he was at a boutique brewery 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Yes we are as that has already been debunked by PB2 ...

Fair enough. So my question remains - who else is producing and canning hopped malt extract in Australia that allows Woollies to claim 99% Aussie content? 🤔

Mr. Hoppy was pretty much spot on with all of them.

I loved his comments on the Woolies beer. "it's either a cider, or a very bad beer". GOLD!! 🤣

I thought his assessments for a blind taste test were quite impressive.

The other two were obviously on the last GABS judging panel. 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 4

• 7 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 6:21 PM, Instigator said:

I wanted to know also, so I decided to try it for myself. Except, I'm making it as a "toucan" to hopefully boost the flavour.So far, the lack of bitterness in the lager can makes me think it could be useful for cheap LME.

I saw the Woolies extract cans for $7.33. I bought 2 - my reasoning is, I add hops for bitterness and dry hops anyway, add LDME for body so unless it's got 1080 or something in it, it can't be too bad.

How did your trial of it go? was it noticeably worse than using a Coopers extract?

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

I saw the Woolies extract cans for $7.33

If you are in a melancholy sort of mood and want to go back to the 70's and 80's. Get a can of lager and 1kg of white sugar.  Open ferment with just a tea towel over the FV opening and do it at ambient.  Will make a great batch of TWANG Ale.   Best if conditioned for 18 months or longer.  

• Haha 6

On 6/29/2019 at 3:19 PM, worry wort said:

Has anyone tried using the supermarket brand kit as a base for something bigger and better? I never considered it, but was reading on a facebook page on home brewing and a few of the guys there use them. Just curious if its been tried by anyone

@King Ruddager did a video, where he experiments with a Home brand kit. He split the batch into two, leaving one as is and improving the other. Apparently, the "as is" batch tasted better than the improved one 🙂 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

@King Ruddager did a video, where he experiments with a Home brand kit. He split the batch into two, leaving one as is and improving the other. Apparently, the "as is" batch tasted better than the improved one 🙂 

He wasn't called Fast Homebrew on YT was he? I just watched one that did that...  😄 Between that video and Marty's comment I'm thinking I might go get my money back. 😄

10 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

If you are in a melancholy sort of mood and want to go back to the 70's and 80's. Get a can of lager and 1kg of white sugar.  Open ferment with just a tea towel over the FV opening and do it at ambient.  Will make a great batch of TWANG Ale.   Best if conditioned for 18 months or longer.  

...if it doesn't explode in your back shed before hand. 😂

Cheers,

Lusty.