Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

2 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

I tried one of their single hop IPAs not long ago which was also very ordinary. Outside of their original range I don't rate any of it. 

Pirate Life have jumped the shark now. Trying to churn out too many different beers. Most of the new ones are ordinary.

• Like 2

Sierra Nevada Dankful IPA

IMG_20231128_213946562.thumb.jpg.ae9e5d083d4d678df5690c83fdf2c5c9.jpg

I've struggled to get a hold on what "dank" means in beer. To me dank means something like the smell of the gold mine at Sovereign Hill (last visited when I was a wee tacker but it left a lasting impression). And it was only recently that pine/piney clicked in my head. If I'm understanding things correctly piney = danky.

At first I thought it had a slightly citrusy and stone fruit aroma but then I thought no, that's tropical fruits, Papaya, that sort of thing. The makers say it's a tropical fruit medley IPA. Seems like I'm getting better at identifying aromas.

Ok, it's got that piney, resinous West Coast kick, though not as much as I was expecting, along with, I have to agree, a tropical fruit salad flavour (maybe more puree than salad). Nice beer, there's a lot going on.

Edit: people on Beer Advocate are also mentioning citrus and stone fruits, it's not just me, as well as the tropical fruits. There are just so many aromas and flavours in this beer it's hard to keep track of them all.

Edited by Kegory
Edit
  • Like 7

Couple of new beers for me today. Funny enough, they taste very similar to the beer I brew. My new one coming out next year is called Ruby Red too, haha. Anyway, great tasting beers, highly recommend getting your hands on these.

20231129_170054.thumb.jpg.dce93422404035328616d0c3a043db1a.jpg

20231129_175332.thumb.jpg.af3bd6175a67bf7fec69959d0a566efc.jpg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Couple of new beers for me today. Funny enough, they taste very similar to the beer I brew. My new one coming out next year is called Ruby Red too, haha. Anyway, great tasting beers, highly recommend getting your hands on these.

20231129_170054.thumb.jpg.dce93422404035328616d0c3a043db1a.jpg

20231129_175332.thumb.jpg.af3bd6175a67bf7fec69959d0a566efc.jpg

Nice.  I am planning a Hobgoblin Ruby after Christmas.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Nice one, unfortunately can’t get them here in NSW. Still have about 4 from when I picked my son up in S.A.

That seems strange that no one has asked for them as it has been around for over 40 years, but I guess it's up to the merchants to source it so it ends up in the liquor stores. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

That seems strange that no one has asked for them as it has been around for over 40 years, but I guess it's up to the merchants to source it so it ends up in the liquor stores. 

True. I might need another Roadtrip to Mildura to get another case, ha ha. I actually got it in a Dan Murphy. Sheaf Stout is also hard to find.

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

A 5.1% version.  Not sure if that is the can or the bottle.  It is based on Pig Den Brewing's version in Brewfather.

https://share.brewfather.app/rJiXjZPXP0MvVq

It's pretty close to the bottle version which is 5.2%. The can is 4.7%. It looks like it's based on Orfey's clone recipe which seems to be the flag bearer for Hobgoblin clones.

Which yeast are you going to use?

Apologies for all the questions, it's one of my favourite all time beers. There's a recipe in the Recipe section here that I'm going to have a crack at next year.