Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

And Aldi strikes again. This week they have  cans of Sapporo Black for a great price, but I am getting slowly tired of dark beers, so I went for the Feldschlößen instead.And what a great idea it was. The brews from this little brewery in Dresden, Germany are worth every of the 399 cents you pay for the half litre bottles. The Pilsner is fullbodied and flavoured true to its style. And the Pale Wheat might not be from Bavaria, but it‘ thick and yummy with nice banana flavours. Highly recommend.

IMG_8262.jpeg

IMG_8259.jpeg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

And Aldi strikes again. This week they have  cans of Sapporo Black for a great price, but I am getting slowly tired of dark beers, so I went for the Feldschlößen instead.And what a great idea it was. The brews from this little brewery in Dresden, Germany are worth every of the 399 cents you pay for the half litre bottles. The Pilsner is fullbodied and flavoured true to its style. And the Pale Wheat might not be from Bavaria, but it‘ thick and yummy with nice banana flavours. Highly recommend.

IMG_8262.jpeg

IMG_8259.jpeg

Lucky you. All our local Aldi sells is bad meat and rotten veg. No alcohol. It really is the worse supermarket I've ever bought from.

14 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Excellent pub Malts. I had quite a few Guinness and Kilkennys there while the Mrs was in a nearby hospital for a couple of days. I had to pass the time somehow. 

Apparently it's a great place to pass time, Paley. Unfortunately for me it passed far too quickly. Hahahaaa.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Lucky you. All our local Aldi sells is bad meat and rotten veg. No alcohol. It really is the worse supermarket I've ever bought from.

Sorry to hear, where abouts are you? It sounds like Aldi some 50 years ago in Germany when their products where really cheap and shitty.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A couple more tastings. The Guinness IPA is quite good, not overly hoppy, quite balanced.  
The bitter was ok, my son wanted the bottle for some reason. The NEIPA didn’t go overboard on the hops. 
The Torpedo is pretty hefty though

IMG_0434.jpeg

IMG_0435.jpeg

IMG_0436.jpeg

IMG_0433.jpeg

• Like 7

Last night's tasting: Hawkers - Bourbon Barrel-Aged White Stout

• Aromas of coffee and vanilla
  • Flavour is mostly coffee with hints of roast and vanilla and a tiny bit of bourbon aftertaste
  • I would rather consider this brew a strong ale rather than a fancy-pants white stout
  • Still very nioce though

IMG_3967.JPG.206c12a9ee63f8594c85f51fe9697c41.JPG

Then I had some homebrew Coopers 2022 Vintage Ale in a new (secondhand) glass.

IMG_3968.JPG.e1c0433c726acad1dc8f7acdfb74ecf8.JPG

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

• Flavour is mostly coffee with hints of roast and vanilla and a tiny bit of bourbon aftertaste
  • I would rather consider this brew a strong ale rather than a fancy-pants white stout

Good review on the white stout I've seen recipe's for it but never knew what it was

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have only ever had a couple of White Stouts in a brewery that is now closed down. I don't really see a lot of it around these days, but it wasn't bad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

An old favourite of mine, a Crowny, sometimes I forget this a Lager but it is crystal clear & tastes just fine.

I don't think the 6 pack will last long.

crownlager.thumb.jpg.07091fd70a7d3fb8c2299bae02c906e0.jpg

Clipped_image_20231021_151143.thumb.png.a9377161319cb5d6c68e953643aefa62.png

Basically the same beer as VB. Hahahaaa.

The differences between VB and Crown were unsexy, they were technical and related to brewing specifications and gradings and some minor process differences. But marketing, especially the over-aroused style employed by CUB, can’t sell technical so they invented a history based on rumour and no research and resorted to overwrought superlatives.

*Source: https://brewsnews.com.au/new-crown-lager-making-australias-finest-even-more-finer-er/#:~:text=The differences between VB and,and some minor process differences.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Basically the same beer as VB. Hahahaaa.

The differences between VB and Crown were unsexy, they were technical and related to brewing specifications and gradings and some minor process differences. But marketing, especially the over-aroused style employed by CUB, can’t sell technical so they invented a history based on rumour and no research and resorted to overwrought superlatives.

*Source: https://brewsnews.com.au/new-crown-lager-making-australias-finest-even-more-finer-er/#:~:text=The differences between VB and,and some minor process differences.

Well, I do notice a distinct difference between the two, but it has been a while since I have had a Crownie but as far as the other horrid stuff it would be at least 30 years since I have had one of those. 😬

Maybe they have refined it but when I am in the bottle shop, I walk straight past it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well, I do notice a distinct difference between the two, but it has been a while since I have had a Crownie but as far as the other horrid stuff it would be at least 30 years since I have had one of those. 😬

Maybe they have refined it but when I am in the bottle shop, I walk straight past it.

I am not sure how you notice a distinct difference between them when you have not tasted one of them in at least 30 years?

Anyway for my taste Crown lager is just a glorified megaswill, usually with an inflated price. Taking into account the price difference, if I had to I would probably prefer Great Northern lager, or some other megaswill.

• Like 4

Just now, kmar92 said:

I am not sure how you notice a distinct difference between them when you have not tasted one of them in at least 30 years?

Anyway for my taste Crown lager is just a glorified megaswill, usually with an inflated price. Taking into account the price difference, if I had to I would probably prefer Great Northern lager, or some other megaswill.

I got a 6 pack for $19.00 at Dan Murphy's so to me it is just a change of taste & a fridge filler - for a short time. 🤣

It doesn't taste anything like the VB I remember but I won't be in a hurry to buy either of them again. 

Great Northern is crap.

NOMAD Brewing - Powder Day - Salted Caramel Fudge Double Milk Stout

• The aroma does not disappoint.  It is exactly as advertised - Salted Caramel Fudge (SWMBO later described it as like proper Maple Syrup)
  • The flavour is similar plus chocolate and roastiness
  • Very sweet.  Liquid Fudge-like
  • A sipping beer - It was nice enough, but I would take ages to get through a keg of it

IMG_3975.JPG.664145252150c54fa933bdc154d81eee.JPG

• Like 5

Wychwood Brewery Hobgoblin Gold Beer

IMG_20231021_225756737.thumb.jpg.7533ac126b48467ec7fbf6415ddf6ad6.jpg

Wychwood Brewery's Golden Ale used to be named Scarecrow. I never got to try that. I don't know if they have changed ownership but they have definitely rebranded and relaunched the company. Everything is now "Hobgoblin" and the cans are a few points lower ABV than the bottles. I noticed their advertising around some of the stadiums during the Ashes.

• Like 3

On 10/21/2023 at 6:50 PM, kmar92 said:

Totally agree if anything crown lager is just a crappy beer in a fancy stubby. Way to sweet tasting and not a proper balance of bitterness. I reckon if gave the old chap a vb in a glass and didn't tell him he would love it and woul not even know what it was.

• Haha 1