Coopers Community

Todays tastings

supernerdy

3 hours ago, do not consume said:

My plan is a staminade a-like in a sour beer. SO a lime/ lemon gose..... 🙂

Should be fun.

Have a few, you'll get it @Aussiekraut did

Yes, I did see the light. Brewed a few too. Maybe I should make another soon. 🙂 

I still couldn't get myself to deliberately infect my beer though, so I only use Philly Sour.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

I'll need to try a few more of the smaller crafty Sours instead of mainstream Sours I think.

I find it a bit like the BU:GU ratio.  If there is something in the beer to balance out the sourness a bit, the brew is better for it.  I found frozen mango chunks or passionfruit puree added later in the fermenter goes a long way to achieving that balance.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I find it a bit like the BU:GU ratio.  If there is something in the beer to balance out the sourness a bit, the brew is better for it.  I found frozen mango chunks or passionfruit puree added later in the fermenter goes a long way to achieving that balance.

Yeah, you have to combine them with something. I find mixed berries quite suitable. I tried Mango and while it works and tastes nice, it lacks some "excitement", for lack of a better word, which berries bring to the party. Cherries work nicely too. I want to try Dragonfruit, which, while fairly bland by itself,  is complemented well by the acidity of lemon juice, so it should work in a sour. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I've never brewed a Sour as I've never really liked them haha, maybe oneday i will, ill keep your information for when I do, cheers 🍻 

• Like 2

Now brewday is finished...(well still have to pitch the yeast when the temp has dropped)

There is no better way to explain this Porter than how they've described it on the can, absolutely delicious, do yourself a favour and grab one if you see it in the shop.

20231014_200818.thumb.jpg.dfa514d750dacc14dd4995ef133b8238.jpg

20231014_200859.thumb.jpg.24d50158027d46b7f41df79f61ad0a87.jpg

• Like 10

That’ll shock ya all 😀 Coopers is the best of the lot, 4 Pines is a little thin. And dare I say the Heineken isn’t too bad when it comes to alcohol free beer. I’ve had a few types lately. Heaps Normal XPA isn’t bad, the lager on the other hand isn’t particularly exciting. Erdinger Alkoholfrei is rather nice too, if there is such a thing as nice with this type of beer. I had a few more which try to hide the distinct taste of alcohol free beers with oats in the brew but with varying success. As it looks, the non-craft beers seem to be better. They appear to have more body and all. I guess the big breweries can afford the better equipment to remove alcohol. 

IMG_9522.thumb.jpeg.a5d6c42c40bdde65bc24fb28b32d29ff.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

That’ll shock ya all 😀 Coopers is the best of the lot, 4 Pines is a little thin. And dare I say the Heineken isn’t too bad when it comes to alcohol free beer. I’ve had a few types lately. Heaps Normal XPA isn’t bad, the lager on the other hand isn’t particularly exciting. Erdinger Alkoholfrei is rather nice too, if there is such a thing as nice with this type of beer. I had a few more which try to hide the distinct taste of alcohol free beers with oats in the brew but with varying success. As it looks, the non-craft beers seem to be better. They appear to have more body and all. I guess the big breweries can afford the better equipment to remove alcohol. 

IMG_9522.thumb.jpeg.a5d6c42c40bdde65bc24fb28b32d29ff.jpeg

Try Big Shed Desi Driver, it's the best I've tried to date.

• Like 3

Red Horse Beer Extra Strong from San Miguel Brewery, my brother in law brought a couple cans back from a recent trip to Manila.

Crystal clear, malty and light on hop flavour like a big brewery lager. The ingredients don’t specify what ingredients like which hops, can’t find that info anywhere. I find it quite nice as far as they go, reminded me a bit of VX but perhaps a bit better.

IMG_5169.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, NBillett09 said:

Red Horse Beer Extra Strong from San Miguel Brewery, my brother in law brought a couple cans back from a recent trip to Manila.

Crystal clear, malty and light on hop flavour like a big brewery lager. The ingredients don’t specify what ingredients like which hops, can’t find that info anywhere. I find it quite nice as far as they go, reminded me a bit of VX but perhaps a bit better.

IMG_5169.jpeg

IMG_5170.jpeg

IMG_5171.jpeg

Some years ago I picked up a cheap return ticket to Manila. Before I left I got some tips, things to try, etc., from my mate's missus who's from the Philippines. Red Horse was on the list. So, arriving late on a Saturday night I went to a bar and finding they served Red Horse I said I'll have one of those.

The bar was pretty lively and some hours and a few Red Horses later I returned to my hotel and went to sleep. I awoke the next morning feeling like I'd been hit by a bus and a herd of buffalos had stampeded across my tongue. Long story short: I was halfway through brushing my teeth before I realised I'd put shaving cream on my toothbrush instead of toothpaste.

• Haha 7

19 hours ago, Kegory said:

Some years ago I picked up a cheap return ticket to Manila. Before I left I got some tips, things to try, etc., from my mate's missus who's from the Philippines. Red Horse was on the list. So, arriving late on a Saturday night I went to a bar and finding they served Red Horse I said I'll have one of those.

The bar was pretty lively and some hours and a few Red Horses later I returned to my hotel and went to sleep. I awoke the next morning feeling like I'd been hit by a bus and a herd of buffalos had stampeded across my tongue. Long story short: I was halfway through brushing my teeth before I realised I'd put shaving cream on my toothbrush instead of toothpaste.

And the lady you went home with looked really hot but when you woke up in the morning and looked over all of a sudden he didn't look so good 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

My bosses went for a work gig to Jervis Bay. Looking after their staff they brought back some fringe benefits for us.

The Cow & Calf Tropical Pale Ale is beautifully flavoured with Nectaron, Citra and Amarillo hops, full bodied and not too perfumed or hoppy. Great beer. And with 5.4 percent packing quiet a punch. It was too good to take a photo in time.

IMG_8248.thumb.jpeg.8fdb2210e4995aec3e56158a62178027.jpeg

The 11 Days Pale Ale is a bit on the lighter note. 4.7%. Northern Brewer, Strata and Amarillo contribute to a dry and crisp peachy Ale. Nice one

IMG_8250.thumb.jpeg.a56f3a96b2d1fcc03cebd7f1bcd45603.jpeg

• Like 6

I had to get some tyres fitted today on The Parade at Norwood. To kill some time I ventured into Finn MacCool's Irish pub. Enjoyed this lovely drop of Kilkenny red ale. $8 for a REAL pint.

I was a bit annoyed when the tyre fitters rang me before I'd finished my first pint to tell me my car was ready. I could have easily sunk a few more.

IMG_20231018_131544.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I had to get some tyres fitted today on The Parade at Norwood. To kill some time I ventured into Finn MacCool's Irish pub. Enjoyed this lovely drop of Kilkenny red ale. $8 for a REAL pint.

I was a bit annoyed when the tyre fitters rang me before I'd finished my first pint to tell me my car was ready. I could have easily sunk a few more.

IMG_20231018_131544.jpg

Don't you hate that Malter 😬 I enjoy that too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Malter White said:

IMG_20231018_131544.jpg

Maybe a good thing @Malter White, a couple more might have seen you tempted to peel a bit of those new tyres off if you had stayed for a coupla more 😂 😉 - That's a good looking glass of goodness BTW 😋🍺🍺

• Haha 1

Bridge Road Brewers Beechworth Pale Ale

IMG_20231018_200259863.thumb.jpg.b21bf56f6bfa6f91b0a0bd428c902f88.jpg

Birrificio Angelo Poretti 5 Luppoli Bock Chiara

IMG_20231018_212302681.thumb.jpg.cd6c4f4f9194a9a90b3688cbb310747a.jpg

The sign on the fridge at the Italian deli told me this is a double malt beer. Beer Advocate tells me it's a Maibock. At 6.5% I'm wondering if it's a Dopplebock and thinking I shouldn't have too many.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Saison Dupont. Quite nice and spicy.

Also some random Italian double malt thing, a bit “meh”, reminds me of one of my over malty /under hoppy mistakes with homebrew. Except it doesn’t cost 10 € for a pint bottle (in a restaurant admittedly) 😕

IMG_0432.jpeg

IMG_0408.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Tried a few more of the Jervis Bay beer, sorry but didn’t take photos. The Lager I found pretty boring and insignificant. The XPA was really nice. The Pilsner is a strange one. They tried to make it crafty by adding Motueka hops, which takes away from the Pilsner qualities of bitterness and breadlines.  The hops makes it too fruity. But don’t take me wrong, it’s a fantastic beer, but you might be disappointed if you are looking forward to an old school Pilsner 

IMG_8258.jpeg

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 7

On 10/18/2023 at 2:59 PM, Malter White said:

IMG_20231018_131544.jpg

Excellent pub Malts. I had quite a few Guinness and Kilkennys there while the Mrs was in a nearby hospital for a couple of days. I had to pass the time somehow. 

• Like 2